Impey to ISN

JJ

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems a good call for him personally and I'd guess financially as Mr Adams is throwing money about like confetti and need to build a good team for Froome. Impy will be a great road captain for the GTs and should get more opportunities to lead. There was a great podcast with him a while back and you could hear the devotion to Mitchelton Scott for picking him up in the first place and believing in him during the doping debacle. I'm guessing t would have been a huge decision and I hope he gets a good pay packet and length of contract to see him into the final part of his career. Good to see the 2 African wearers of the Yellow jersey together. 

Me for one am disappointed ....

But reading the article on Cyclenews , It seems DI will be a main cheese ( not Maincheese ) at ISN .

Why disappointed?

I think it's a great career move.

Impey's 35, a move like this would definitely come with financial benefits and more opportunity/expectation to help grow ISN into a better team. Which would not just be on the road but no doubt by helping implement general processes etc. No doubt it's part of their rational behind getting Froome on-board.

Edited by NC_lurker

NC , just because I like loyalty ..... However I also understand that if you want loyalty... get a dog .

Hope this pans out as he expects or better .

I'd be very surprised if Michelton Scott had negative feelings about Impey moving on. Over the years he's shown that he's a dedicated team member, likewise MS have stood by him and given him opportunities.

Change happens, but loyalty to those that have been good to you doesn't necessarily disappear.

The impression I get from MS is that they'll understand the opportunity for Impey and be disappointed to lose him, but not negative about it.

MS have their own politics to sort out. ISN is a safer bet at this point in time and a move with more responsibility so I don't see him being disloyal in moving on. His contract was up at the end of 2020 anyway so he was a free agent. He isn't breaking contract

MS have their own politics to sort out. ISN is a safer bet at this point in time and a move with more responsibility so I don't see him being disloyal in moving on. His contract was up at the end of 2020 anyway so he was a free agent. He isn't breaking contract

i think he was only on a 1 year contract with MS anyway, they should have signed him longer!

anyway, two Barlowworld mates back together it seems - quite a journey since then

VeloNews: Daryl, it’s never easy for riders from Africa to get noticed by the big European-based teams. How did you get on the radar as a young pro?

Daryl Impey: It’s very hard for the South African riders to make an impact and get to Europe. When I was racing as an amateur, we had six big national teams. Today you’re lucky if there are two teams. My dad was quite successful as a road cyclist, and my brother and I started mountain biking. I eventually got into the road team with the U16 team. I loved the intensity of racing and the team dynamics, and I got stuck into road racing. At 20, I started with La Pomme Marseille, and I actually nearly quit. I eventually got onto Doug Ryder’s team. Robbie Hunter had won a stage at the Tour that summer, and I messaged him, and he said he saw me winning races in South Africa. Robbie said he would vouch for me. I joined Barloworld in 2008, and Chris Froome and I turned pro there

MS are / have been on  bit of a Rocky road, cutting salaries and the whole take over issue won't have helped. AVV looks to be leaving, Yates bros seems to be going as well and Gerry Ryan can only guarantee the future until end of next year. Impy have paid back the faith in him in spades of loyalty, expertise and a few big wins. I am sure Mr Adams offered him a decent contract and a pay increase. 

Money, security and a new challenge. What's not to like. 

MS are / have been on  bit of a Rocky road, cutting salaries and the whole take over issue won't have helped. AVV looks to be leaving, Yates bros seems to be going as well and Gerry Ryan can only guarantee the future until end of next year. Impy have paid back the faith in him in spades of loyalty, expertise and a few big wins. I am sure Mr Adams offered him a decent contract and a pay increase. 

Money, security and a new challenge. What's not to like. 

You forgot the new bikes! Factor nogal.

Edited by DJuice