Critérium du Dauphiné 2020

Vetplant

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Froome couldn't even give one turn ... no ways you take him to the TDF on current form..

Isn't the tour like 2 weeks away? Why would he tire himself/show all his cards now?

I know it's a cliche and pre-crash Froomey, but let's not forget the Giro a few years back. . . .

Isn't the tour like 2 weeks away? Why would he tire himself/show all his cards now?

I know it's a cliche and pre-crash Froomey, but let's not forget the Giro a few years back. . . .

Was thinking the same, he crashed, looked over weight and was well off the pace in the first week of that Giro and all were writing him off... come the 3rd week, he did what he had to do!!

Whilst he admits himself he could have done with a few more months to be fully fit, he will race his best if they pick him and expect him to be up there.

You can't exactly prepare or compare yourself to the rest if you cant keep up with your own team's pace..

I don't know..sure he can find form in the next few weeks.. but his competitors will too and as it stands with a few weeks to go he is well off the pace even as domestique .

I reckon that 36km ITT on the last day of the tour is keeping him hungry.

A pure climber would need a minute or more buffer against him, Roglic, JA (on previous form) so it come back to race experience and knowing when to hold, fold em and play em...

I am expecting exciting racing due to the ITT from the climbers to get that buffer, and the ITT/GC hopefuls clinging on but trying not to empty the tank so they can still be in it on the last day.

Only the team and Froome have his numbers, so they will know if he is capable of being there or not. Pointless taking him if he can't hang on in the 1st 2 weeks to be in a position to stake a claim in week 3.

Edited by Jewbacca

SNIP

A pure climber would need a minute or more buffer against him, Roglic, JA (on previous form) so it come back to race experience and knowing when to hold, fold em and play em...

SNIP

Don't know if JA is in the same blistering form he was in during 2019.

The punctures in the recent classics did him no favours, sure. But he popped too quickly yesterday to be seriously considering GC at the TDF.

We might have a different surprise package to keep the traditional contenders on their toes during the first two weeks, but I doubt JA will repeat his heroics.

No doubt he will light it up and possibly take a couple of stages. He will not disappoint in terms of bringing entertainment.

Don't know if JA is in the same blistering form he was in during 2019.

The punctures in the recent classics did him no favours, sure. But he popped too quickly yesterday to be seriously considering GC at the TDF.

We might have a different surprise package to keep the traditional contenders on their toes during the first two weeks, but I doubt JA will repeat his heroics.

No doubt he will light it up and possibly take a couple of stages. He will not disappoint in terms of bringing entertainment.

For sure.

He looks a shade of his 2019 self, but if we can suggest Froome is holding his cards, can we not suggest he is as well?

He looks a few days short of racing, which this week gives him. 

Who knows, we might see his swagger return by Saturday

But my comment was more centred around the GC condenders who can TT vs a pure climber trying to hold the jersey. The examples were just of those 3 as they have all done the business in the ITT and in GC in the past

Edited by Jewbacca

Could be a masterful bluff... 

But he and the team will know the score. I watched the post stage interview with him, he seemed a lil cagey, a lil less cocksure... 

Edited by IceCreamMan

It depends how you look at it. Is he in the race to make a contribution to the team and to help Bernal to win ( like all the other riders in the team did) or is he in the race only to prepare and therefore to ride for himself? It appears to be the latter.

He struggled a lot yesterday. Besides not being able to take a turn in front he had a hard time to even follow the wheels and in a way disrupted the flow of his own team when they tried to apply pressure in front of the leading group.

I think he has done brilliantly to even get to the level he is at the moment but the Tour might be a month or so to soon for him.

Edited by dsw

You can't exactly prepare or compare yourself to the rest if you cant keep up with your own team's pace..

I don't know..sure he can find form in the next few weeks.. but his competitors will too and as it stands with a few weeks to go he is well off the pace even as domestique .

I watched the highlights package on ITV4 last night and the commentator Sean Kelly noted that whilst CF dropped off, he was still up there further in the race than the like of Adam Yates and a few others who dropped off the pace well before.

Best move for Froomey IMHO will be to pull the plug on the TDF now and shift focus to the Vuelta, better chance for a GC podium there if he shifts his programme now.

I think Carapaz was given the Giro leadership, so no sense in Froomey going there.

And just want to reaffirm what others have said: Froome has done a remarkable recovery after that terrible accident to be where he is already.