A wine thread: What's in your glass?

Delarey

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious. As a fellow daily wine drinker. Would you take the deal of R10million in return for never drinking again?

A highly complex question - short answer is that i am a hedonistic creature so don't do denial of anything well. I have stopped drinking mid week for a couple of times now but enjoy a glass after work too much. If the number was that mach then its a huge amount of money but its purely academic to entertain the idea. You could doa. lot with R 10m, but right now i enjoy my wine.

A highly complex question - short answer is that i am a hedonistic creature so don't do denial of anything well. I have stopped drinking mid week for a couple of times now but enjoy a glass after work too much. If the number was that mach then its a huge amount of money but its purely academic to entertain the idea. You could doa. lot with R 10m, but right now i enjoy my wine.

Same here. I believe life is ultimately a pursuit of happiness and in my case, wine (and in particular, interesting wine) brings me a lot of happiness. I have a few other such vices, but wine is definitely in the top 3. I am also particularly sceptical of any decision which is made purely for the purpose of acquiring more money, especially when it involves giving up something that is the source of happiness.

Sadly almost everything has a price for most people. That 1990's movie called Indecent Proposal comes to mind. My gut tells me that the choice to take the money almost always ends up in misery of some sort.

I do enjoy thought experiments though. 

Edited by Delarey

cf2b4b3a6b1b15569d432ac34b3400f7.jpg

The Berrio: Weather Girl

I have a special place in my heart for The Berrio.

It was the first wine farm where I delivered fertilizer when I started my business (dangerous goods transport.)

Now nearly all the wine farms in the area buys from my clients and I make a point of visiting them for wine tastings when I'm in the area. Now that I think of it, I reckon going to Gansbaai and spending my birthday on Lomond's lawn sounds just right.

Same here. I believe life is ultimately a pursuit of happiness and in my case, wine (and in particular, interesting wine) brings me a lot of happiness. I have a few other such vices, but wine is definitely in the top 3. I am also particularly sceptical of any decision which is made purely for the purpose of acquiring more money, especially when it involves giving up something that is the source of happiness.

Sadly almost everything has a price for most people. That 1990's movie called Indecent Proposal comes to mind. My gut tells me that the choice to take the money almost always ends up in misery of some sort.

I do enjoy thought experiments though. 

I actually spent a lot of time thinking about the question this weekend. Ultimately it is what price is the threshold for you to forego pleasure in the pursuit of material wealth. Young me would have jumped at it. Older me is a different story. Some things dont have a price. Having had my mates around for a braai for the first time this weekend in 6 months and these being the wine drinking guys we have i think re-affirmed that our bonds of friendship are established or assisted by the desire to be convivial as well as enjoy a couple of drinks together. these often lead to much more interesting and often hilarious times. Personally a couple of drinks makes me and life a better place. Cant say its not without its downsides but then a long life is the slowest form of dying , so why not enjoy the trip whilst you can. Having a glass of wine is so intertwined with who i am that i dont really know what i would be without it.

I have a special place in my heart for The Berrio.

It was the first wine farm where I delivered fertilizer when I started my business (dangerous goods transport.)

Now nearly all the wine farms in the area buys from my clients and I make a point of visiting them for wine tastings when I'm in the area. Now that I think of it, I reckon going to Gansbaai and spending my birthday on Lomond's lawn sounds just right.

Lomond Sugerbush Sauvignon Blanc!

I am curious. As a fellow daily wine drinker. Would you take the deal of R10million in return for never drinking again?

Is that R10m upfront or installments?

I've been sober for 15 days. just not in a row

bought a nederberg baronne the other day, surprisingly good. 

Had a 2015 meerlust rubicon a few weeks back and was really great.

Only 2 bottles of wine left in the stock at the moment