About Surfing.

'Dale

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja Laird is actually a legend but you have to ignore a lot of his recent stuff, it may be that he’s trying to stay relevant and in this day and age, that’s pretty hard...his foray into mainstream media hasn’t really enamored himself to the surfing community especially the Nazare boys and he’s done some damage to his rep there I think but he remains a standout all round waterman And no matter what your opinion of him is...he charges...

Sums it up well.. The guy still charges harder than I ever will, but ya, he should let his surfing do the talking. Do I buy into the whole waterman thing..Im not sure, I think It comes from his generation but has taken on new meaning. Guys Like Kai Lenny, JohnJohn Florence etc, these guys all do a variety of warersport. But I get what you mean. 

I will however never, ever forget staring at that picture of Laird at Teahupoo for like an hour.. Back in my 2nd year, when the internet was still small..I think these watershed moments is what he should be remembered by. 

The Millennium wave..

post-1279-0-03290600-1598388906_thumb.jpg

Ahem.

okay, but Kai's new gen. Laird was a pioneer, like Gerry Lopez is still MISTER PIPE, even after all these years. If you think of Banzai Pipeline, you'd be wrong to not think Gerry Lopez. Sure, there are folks who probably ride it better, but Gerry is still the man. 

Sums it up well.. The guy still charges harder than I ever will, but ya, he should let his surfing do the talking. Do I buy into the whole waterman thing..Im not sure, I think It comes from his generation but has taken on new meaning. Guys Like Kai Lenny, JohnJohn Florence etc, these guys all do a variety of warersport. But I get what you mean. 

I will however never, ever forget staring at that picture of Laird at Teahupoo for like an hour.. Back in my 2nd year, when the internet was still small..I think these watershed moments is what he should be remembered by. 

The Millennium wave..

back when boys had pics of Pamela Anderson on their walls, this was all I had...

My wife was watching that show with Zac Effram ?(No idea his actual name) and I popped my head in and for a second thought that the 'wellness dude' travelling with him was Laird. It wasn't.

I love these old gen guys, but I can't stand all the 'juice cleansing' and apricot fasting nonsense that some of them say is the true meaning to life. Don't they have Kidneys or Livers?!

I'm a massive Rob Machado fan. His style and grace seriously influenced how I like to think I ride waves.

But, my favourite surfer of all time re grace, innovation and style is our very own Frankie Oberholzer.... What a legend.

(Obviously none of the above supersede Johnny Utah and The Bodhizafa.....)

Edited by Jewbacca

My wife was watching that show with Zac Effram ?(No idea his actual name) and I popped my head in and for a second thought that the 'wellness dude' travelling with him was Laird. It wasn't.

I love these old gen guys, but I can't stand all the 'juice cleansing' and apricot fasting nonsense that some of them say is the true meaning to life. Don't they have Kidneys or Livers?!

I'm a massive Rob Machado fan. His style and grace seriously influenced how I like to think I ride waves.

But, my favourite surfer of all time re grace, innovation and style is our very own Frankie Oberholzer.... What a legend.

Frankie just oozes style on a wave. I cannot count the amount of times I watched him on Ripcurl The Search movies as he travelled the globe looking for the perfect wave with the likes of Tom Curren and others. The only surfer I ever saw that has style remotely close to his is probably Shaun Holmes.

That reminds me of one of the Billabong WCT tournaments. Shaun was given a wildcard entry and was out warming up prior to the contest start, and Slater and some other guys were watching. Someone asks "who's that?", to which Slater purportedly replied "the guy who is going to beat me". Shaun did just that.

Red Bull did a thing recently on surfing in SA. Frankie and his son getting PROPERLY barreled at (not so secret spot in front of the caravan park) in Scotborough and Happy Wanderers.

I still think the KZN South Coast has some of the best unexploited surf on the planet. We all want to go on a boat in Indo but the there are gems right here.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I watched that movie with Frankie and his Grom.. I was frothing just like I did before inserting a new VHS back in the day!

I remember that Slater/Holmes moment too. Kelly is a lot of things but through everything he has remained somewhat humble and gets super excited about young talent and guys with talent. It's really cool to see.

Red Bull did a thing recently on surfing in SA. Frankie and his son getting PROPERLY barreled at (not so secret spot in front of the caravan park) in Scotborough and Happy Wanderers.

I still think the KZN South Coast has some of the best unexploited surf on the planet. We all want to go on a boat in Indo but the there are gems right here.

The whole of SA has gems that just don't get the play time. Which I quite enjoy.

I was out at Elands the day they filmed 'The Cape' with Bromdog and Fanno etc touring here.

Despite all the 'pro's' being there, the best surfer out was the plump bald local on his super rocker 9ft 2 long board. Top to bottom carves and snaps on that thing. It blows me away every time I am lucky enough to see him surf.

We have some local guys dotted around that could have rivaled Tom Carroll had they been given the chance....... (in my mind anyway)

Hey now!

There's a place up the west coast that the gut sliders have made their own called Tand.

OH....MY......GOODNESSSSS!!!!!

are you standing or kneeling?

It's nowadays called "taking a knee" and its the in thing to do  :ph34r: 

pfffft, special agent Johnny wasn't even the best surfer in his own family

http://bodyboardmuseum.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/hauoli88.jpg

Hey now!

I was supposed to follow this up but got busy with work.

I was a bodyboarder/doormat/etc from a very young age into my late 20's.

I did well in competitions and had a few smallish sponsors.

Then my eyesight went, and it went spectacularly! The only type of contacts I could wear cost a few thousand per set and they are super uncomfortable to wear.

So yeah I get the longing of watching people surf and I feel the sadness of knowing I cant do it anymore. 

I tried a couple of times but when you cant see waves well enough to read them and you cant do what you used then its not really worth it.

Its a bit like watching old MacGuyver episodes, they were awesome at the time but going back there ruins them.

pfffft, special agent Johnny wasn't even the best surfer in his own family

http://bodyboardmuseum.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/hauoli88.jpg

Ah mr Reeves himself, man I remember seeing him charge some seriously big Waimea shorey back in the days.