About Surfing.

'Dale

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Niiice, Dunes is one of my favourite Cape spots...one session I had there, paddling back out, I got caught on the sandbar and a wave broke on me before I could duckdive it...broke my board in two...while I was on it!!!!...got washed in feeling very sorry for myself and then still had to walk all the way back to the car with a floppy board!

attachicon.gifDunes damage.jpg

I got smashed by a double after riding one almost all the way to shore. Fences circa 2008. That year brought some swell to remember. The last thing you expect to see after you kick out is an over head that close to shore. It threw me down head first. I was so close to shore that the nose got lodged in the sand underwater and the force of the wave snapped it clean off. 

Dunes and Hoek always make me feel like its out of my league. I've only scored a few to remember there. Most times I just had my ass handed to me. 4 to 6 days and a random 8 footer just swings by to clean up. That's when I get nervous. They say false bay locals are soft. But the dangers manne are quick to refute that. Wave sizes being equal. The west coast just feels like it has more power per foot. And when it gets bigger. That power feels exponential. 

Do kneelos count?

Me at Bruces earlier this year. 

As long as you're not flat on your stomach or holding a paddle, then yes, it does...

Edited by Robbie Stewart

Some of my best memories are from surfing and just being near or on the ocean and up until lately, have been really enjoying long-boarding (...the short board revival is currently in full swing!!!) especially with my eldest and seeing her start out and then get totally bitten and now a full on surf rat! Love it, just love it and it's true what they say, once you start surfing, you'll always surf...maybe not as often and as long, but you'll always surf....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug37xN5WC7Q

Great video....so jealous i am 

Yip, in fact, I would even allow my good mate on the left here to post here....!

attachicon.gifLH@NYC.jpg

Whats Lard got to say these days?

Guy is a legend, for stuff he did back in the day. But watching some VLOGS of him lately (not sure they are all like that) he kind of seemed pissed off that he's not getting the attention anymore. Kind of reminds me of myself sometimes, lol!!

Before anyone else was doing it, we were doing it.. thats his vibe. 

Anyway. Still a bad-ass in his own right for pushing what is now a thing, all by himself around 20 years ago. 

Cool thread by the way, atleast now I have somewhere to post while theres no enduro racing happening. Although...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/186618-event-witfontein-funduro-2020/?do=findComment&comment=3702032

Could work in a Vic bay session afterwards??

I don't think we should discriminate here. 

I meant to add comic sans. It was meant as a tongue in cheek comment.

For as long as I can recall in my surfing heydays there was always jesting between surfers, doormats and goatboats. Kneelo's were always somehow exempt from that, no matter who was ribbing who.

But ja, there's enough BS going on in the world now. Lets all play nice. 

I'm even willing to accept e-bikes...

Laird is the ultimate waterman. Many surfers like to refer to themselves as "watermen", but Laird is the only one I know of that fits the bill.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

Guy is a legend, for stuff he did back in the day. But watching some VLOGS of him lately (not sure they are all like that) he kind of seemed pissed off that he's not getting the attention anymore. Kind of reminds me of myself sometimes, lol!!

Anyway. Still a bad-ass in his own right for pushing what is now a thing, all by himself around 20 years ago. 

Cool thread by the way, atleast now I have somewhere to post while theres no enduro racing happening. Although...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/186618-event-witfontein-funduro-2020/?do=findComment&comment=3702032

Ja Laird is actually a legend but you have to ignore a lot of his recent stuff, it may be that he’s trying to stay relevant and in this day and age, that’s pretty hard...his foray into mainstream media hasn’t really enamored himself to the surfing community especially the Nazare boys and he’s done some damage to his rep there I think but he remains a standout all round waterman And no matter what your opinion of him is...he charges...

No discussion about Vic Bay is complete without mentioning the mayor of VB, speedo wearing Leonard Giles....hope he is still tearing backside..?

No discussion about Vic Bay is complete without mentioning the mayor of VB, speedo wearing Leonard Giles....hope he is still tearing backside..?

Leonard has been wearing speedo's his whole life. I can only recall a few times in the dead of winter when he was wearing a wetsuit. Rod Hossack might have something to say about losing the mayoral status though...

When I moved out from George he was having some hip issues, so he was not tearing it up at the time, but I'm sure he's still the man. When Leonard paddled out, no matter who was sitting on the boil, he always had first pick when the next set arrived. When he klapped a backhand, he'd empty half the bay with the spray he generated...

Edited by Robbie Stewart