MarcHD

Hi

I have a Syncros TR2.0 wheel on which I need 28 DT Swiss Aero Bladed spokes "299" in length.

I tried all over and no one can assist me - I can get it from one of your agent cycle stores but at R105.00 per spoke.

Please this is ridiculous - Why can't I buy it from you directly and what will it cost please?? 

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi There

Ive got roval carbon wheels with the Roval 142 rear hub.

Would this hub be able to fit the new shimano Microspline?

Here's a tough one: can you supply one of those star ring removal tools at a price that is not astronomical. 

I have more DT swiss hubs than I care to admit and enough friends that I am often working on them (the hubs, not the friends).

One thing I cannot do: a proper bearing service. Seems like I need this gizmo.

post-30841-0-17592900-1413840217.jpg

I could be wrong though, so please correct me if I am.

Sorry about image size.

Hi there,

While I agree this tool isn't the cheapest, it is made from high tensile steel, and like any tool designed to last the lifetime of a bike shop - this comes at a bit of premium.

Furthermore we don't encourage end users working on their own bikes, but rather to have it serviced by their local bike shop who are [hopefully] well trained, highly experienced and carrying all the necessary tools required.

For this reason we don't supply any DT Swiss tools direct to the public, which means you would likely have been charged the standard markup on this tool by whichever dealer you were quoted by making it that much more pricey. 

That being said, if you are able to ping me your preferred local bike shop I can see what we can do to help out. 

Hi There

Ive got roval carbon wheels with the Roval 142 rear hub.

Would this hub be able to fit the new shimano Microspline?

Good day,

Unfortunately all standard (142mm) straightpull hubs are NOT compatible with the new microspline freehub standard - including DT's own hubs 

Our only solution for you would be to offer a jbend hub with which to rebuild the wheel.

Let me know your preferred local bike shop and I will gladly offer them a better price on a new hub to help out in this regard

Hi

I have a Syncros TR2.0 wheel on which I need 28 DT Swiss Aero Bladed spokes "299" in length.

I tried all over and no one can assist me - I can get it from one of your agent cycle stores but at R105.00 per spoke.

Please this is ridiculous - Why can't I buy it from you directly and what will it cost please?? 

Hi Antonie,

We do have these exact spokes in stock, but as mentioned in a prior response, when it comes to spares/tools we don't supply these direct to customers as it is preferred that you have a professional workshop with the correct tools, experience and training do the work here.

It's amazing that so many stores can't help you though as we have had these spokes in stock since literally our first shipment with the brand! 

The Aerolites are arguably the most premium quality spokes in the market today - I've seen the process and machinery required for them to be manufactured first hand and there is an enormous amount of engineering and expense that goes into producing the best. 

If the price is an issue, we can look at bringing in the more affordable models of bladed/aero spokes as part of a special order for you? 

Let me know who your preferred local dealer is and I will get in touch with them on the steps required for this.

Hope this helps

Edited by MarcHD

It is really nonsense that importers only supply bike shops.

More than once have I needed something, bike shop could not assist as they don’t know what I needed or is just not technical inclined

I did my research down to the part number off what I needed and now I must ask a LBS to order it on my behalf while they add in 20-50%.

For doing WHAT....sending an email?

You say riders should take their bike to LBS, while I can tell you many stories of various bike shops either ripping people or of shoddy workmanship. Like not torquing the RD to spec and it floating cause bad gear change. This person took the bike back 3 times. Every time lbs fiddled with barrel adjuster.

The fact that someone needs to pay a markup to a bike shop for a tool is nonsense.

If the guy wants to work on his bike, why do you assume he is not maybe MORE than capable?

Maybe the dude that was asking about the tool is someone that replaces bearings on equipment that has far smaller tolerances than a hub bearing, or cost 10x what a bike cost. Maybe his daily job is working on turbines?

But he must take his bike to a LBS? Really irritates me.

Edited by Quagga

Here's a tough one: can you supply one of those star ring removal tools at a price that is not astronomical. 

I have more DT swiss hubs than I care to admit and enough friends that I am often working on them (the hubs, not the friends).

One thing I cannot do: a proper bearing service. Seems like I need this gizmo.

post-30841-0-17592900-1413840217.jpg

I could be wrong though, so please correct me if I am.

Sorry about image size.

Haha - Good luck with trying to get DT Swiss specific tools from them, even aftermarket are like hens teeth and when you can get you will need to re-bond your house - Back in the day, even Johan Boringman from Yellow saddle had to initially make his own tools to service DT hubs. 

Personally and as a home mechanic i don't buy or work on any product or component that has DT Swiss on it, due to serviceability.

Haha - Good luck with trying to get DT Swiss specific tools from them, even aftermarket are like hens teeth and when you can get you will need to re-bond your house - Back in the day, even Johan Boringman from Yellow saddle had to initially make his own tools to service DT hubs. 

Personally and as a home mechanic i don't buy or work on any product or component that has DT Swiss on it, due to serviceability.

Hi there and thanks for the opinion,

I suggest taking the time to go through the spares we do bring into SA and chatting to us directly about a solution if you have not found what you are looking for.

As someone with many years experience in the bike industry I can say without hesitation that you will struggle to find a distributor more willing to make a plan for it's community than us. 

Don't have the part you need? We will do our best to special order it. 

We are here to serve and will do so the best we can!

Regards, 

More than once have I needed something, bike shop could not assist as they don’t know what I needed or is just not technical inclined

I did my research down to the part number off what I needed and now I must ask a LBS to order it on my behalf while they add in 20-50%.

You say riders should take their bike to LBS, while I can tell you many stories of various bike shops either ripping people or of shoddy workmanship. Like not torquing the RD to spec and it floating cause bad gear change. This person took the bike back 3 times. Every time lbs fiddled with barrel adjuster.

The fact that someone needs to pay a markup to a bike shop for a tool is nonsense.

If the guy wants to work on his bike, why do you assume he is not maybe MORE than capable?

Maybe the dude that was asking about the tool is someone that replaces bearings on equipment that has far smaller tolerances than a hub bearing, or cost 10x what a bike cost. Maybe his daily job is working on turbines?

Thanks Quagga,

Valid points we are aware of, however you must understand though, there are a number of reasons we advocate the local bike shop first.

While it's a shame you have had no luck with certain LBS's - there are still plenty in our market that offer superb service and value - these are the stores we aim to support by directing customers to them.

In any market it's inevitably always going to be the case that there are those end consumers with the experience, technical ability and dexterity to work on their own bikes, and who chose to opt for this approach due to bad experiences or poor value.

As a service provider, bike shops are also held accountable for their work, which as an end consumer, you can and absolutely should demand a high level from. If this is not the case, as free market you have the ability to vote with your wallet and only support those which provide the value and service you expect.

Cheers

Thanks Guagga,

Valid points we are aware of, however you must understand though, there are a number of reasons we advocate the local bike shop first.

While it's a shame you have had no luck with certain LBS's - there are still plenty in our market that offer superb service and value - these are the stores we aim to support by directing customers to them.

In any market it's inevitably always going to be the case that there are those end consumers with the experience, technical ability and dexterity to work on their own bikes, and who chose to opt for this approach due to bad experiences or poor value.

As a service provider, bike shops are also held accountable for their work, which as an end consumer, you can and absolutely should demand a high level from. If this is not the case, as free market you have the ability to vote with your wallet and only support those which provide the value and service you expect.

Cheers

I will not take anyting to a bikeshop

In the past when I did, it always comes back scratched etc

What bike shop is accountable for their work and how? There is always an excuse from them.

"Sorry but we did not work on that"

"It looked like that when it came to us."

Show me a bike shop with a proper bearing press, most use a hamer to install bearings.

I have a proper press at home, but can not buy the one tool I need from you?

Where are the LBS mechanic qualifications? I am yet to see any certificate on the wall.

What bike shop is accountable for their work and how? There is always an excuse from them.

Show me a bike shop with a proper bearing press, most use a hamer to install bearings.

Where are the LBS mechanic qualifications? I am yet to see any certificate on the wall.

Hi Quagga,

Again, try not to see this as making light of your experiences, or suggesting that they don't happen often. 

All we are saying is that there are plenty (yes, plenty) of bike shops out there who have exactly everything you just mentioned - internationally accredited mechanic's diploma, bearing press, experience, humility to admit when wrong and take responsibility for mistakes even good coffee while you wait! 

If you like I will gladly point you in the direction of any of these stores - some are as close as down the road(s) from you looking at your location in CT

You need to meet Daryn Goldsborough at William's Bike shop. His tool obsession is worse than mine, and he sourced many obscure tools and parts for me in the past. He has also demonstrated/coached me on how to use these tools . I don't mind paying the markup that funds his salary.

Another shining light is Heino Engelbrecht at The Hanger.

I've worked in the industry, as mechanic, sales, management and on the import side of things I see your viewpoint, and that of Get Stoked.

They need to protect the lbs that supports them, the lbs that holds stock of fast and slow moving parts and consumables. But you and I have the freedom to choose to support a shop that provides value, and eschew the shop that cause crap. Because there are still good shops out there.

boet, just take the drive to Somerset West and pop in a 8 oak lane. Williams Bike Shop

all the tools and the skills between Darryn and himself. Alternatively, Woodstock Cycles, Nils Hansen. same story. No aires, no graces just hard graft and customer satisfaction is all they want

You need to meet Daryn Goldsborough at William's Bike shop. His tool obsession is worse than mine, and he sourced many obscure tools and parts for me in the past. He has also demonstrated/coached me on how to use these tools . I don't mind paying the markup that funds his salary.

Another shining light is Heino Engelbrecht at The Hanger.

I've worked in the industry, as mechanic, sales, management and on the import side of things I see your viewpoint, and that of Get Stoked.

They need to protect the lbs that supports them, the lbs that holds stock of fast and slow moving parts and consumables. But you and I have the freedom to choose to support a shop that provides value, and eschew the shop that cause crap. Because there are still good shops out there.

So much respect for these guys! 

boet, just take the drive to Somerset West and pop in a 8 oak lane. Williams Bike Shop

all the tools and the skills between Darryn and himself. Alternatively, Woodstock Cycles, Nils Hansen. same story. No aires, no graces just hard graft and customer satisfaction is all they want

Phenomenal stores! 

I fully agree.  You can not tell anyone that they should not work on their own bike!  Yes sure the majority out there don't know the difference between dinsdag and dingaansdag on a bike, but there are a lot of us that do.  As a qualified experienced mechanical engineer, there is very little any guy at a LBS can tell me that I don't already know.

To a large extend the prices being charged are plain ridiculous.  There is very little on a bike that I cant or wont do myself, so yes I fully agree with Quagga, a LBS will not see me unless I have no choice.

Edited by Theog