Road cyclists creating traffic safety issues —Gauteng

Murrob

Ok, I am just going to come out and say it: Some (Listen carefully now, some) roadies ride like they own the road and think that their polystyrene shell with spandex superhero outfit will stop a 2 ton piece of metal moving at 80-100km/h. To that thinking I repeat exactly what my mother always told me when I tried my luck with something I was not supposed to: "Don't come crying to me if A, B or C happens". 

Commonsense is just not common anymore and people have an attitude of entitlement. 

Edited by RobertWhitehead

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You see I think its about peoples emotions than actual safety issues for the most part. If a motorist feels impeded in any way then its "the bladdy cyclists" and he transfers all the pent up anger at his/her boss, spouse, the #VoetsekANC or anything else onto the "other", be it a driver or rider. 

I recommend the following to all social media anti-cyclist ranters : Anger management therapy plus riding a road bike on busy roads every weekend for a month. Which is not to say that cyclists aren't as guilty as sin some of the time, its just that the opprobrium heaped on them is out of all proportion in most cases.

There were a few small groups out on the very quiet road near Cape point yesterday. A couple of them went two abreast to chat. I had to slow my car to pass one group. I felt mildly irritated even as a part time roadie and understanding driver, so I do get why people get irritated. I just think the vitriol is completely out of proportion to the problem. 

Then again, I don't know "The Cradle"...

Ok, I am just going to come out and say it: Some (Listen carefully now, some) roadies ride like they own the road and think that their polystyrene shell with spandex superhero outfit will stop a 2 ton piece of metal moving at 80-100km/h. To that thinking I repeat exactly what my mother always told me when I tried my luck with something I was not supposed to: "Don't come crying to me if A, B or C happens". 

Commonsense is just not common anymore and people have an attitude of entitlement. 

I think more people need to look at the footage from Allaphilipe's latest crash.

Hitting a box on the back of a motor bike at the speed he was cycling was enough to break his arm, now imagine if the motorbike was hitting him. 

Then imagine a car instead of a motorbike.

I think all the roadies should get in their cars and drive in a bunch, single file on these said road at 40kmh, and see how that p1ss3s motorists off. 

Maybe the problem lies more with the government's inability to maintain roads/build better roads.

And to the guys on their MTB's complaining roadies think they own the roads, how many of you are riding bikes wit handle bars so wide it is comparable to two roadies riding breast.

I think all the roadies should get in their cars and drive in a bunch, single file on these said road at 40kmh, and see how that p1ss3s motorists off. 

Maybe the problem lies more with the government's inability to maintain roads/build better roads.

And to the guys on their MTB's complaining roadies think they own the roads, how many of you are riding bikes wit handle bars so wide it is comparable to two roadies riding breast.

So many words, so few points

I feel a lot safer on narrow roads riding two abreast.

Fair point. I think I'd also feel safer with a fellow casualty next to me in the ambulance.

So many words, so few points

Actually there are two points, you just too narrow minded to see them:

1. riding single file on a narrow road with no shoulder will always be dangerous and motorist will get annoyed and ask the question 'what are these roadies thinking riding on this road'

2. it's always roadies that are perceived to have bad attitudes, but guys on their mtb's also have attitudes and block/take up a fair bit of road space given the design/specs of their bikes

Hi All, just wanted raise some concerns in terms of what I am seeing in and around the Cradle, Magalies and Hartebeespoort area’s. I have not seen this with organized/branded clubs training rides, but would not rule it out. I think it would be interesting to understand what the road traffic act says vs what is happening vs good common sense practices.

I note that I am mountain bike and road cyclist, but do spend more time on the dirt. Having only gotten back on the road bike Dec 2019, so have been out of the loop in terms of large training rides, typically riding road alone or in small groups.

Now to the topic, I have on a number of occasions now driving to MTB parks and or visits to game farms/lodges recently had near death encounters caused by cyclists riding in large bunches resulting in very frustrated drivers over taking on solid lines, forcing me off the road in my vehicle to avoid a head on collision. Also as recently an Sunday morning, heading out to Hennops MTB trail coming across private vehicles being used to support riders and actually trying to protect a large bunch of cyclists by driving with hazards on blocking drivers at 40k’s an hour, on a narrow road with a solid line. The bunch also being so spread out that there is no opportunity to safely over take even if there wasn’t a solid line. Also not riding in single file as I would expect road conditions to dictate. A bunch of people are going to get killed or badly hurt soon, and I am wondering what we can do as a community to avoid this, because surely the behavior cannot stand where large groups can seemingly do as they please on public open roads- also drivers need to abide by road rules, but even as a cyclist myself I thought what I saw was bang out of order.

Would be interested to hear others thoughts on the topic as it does seem to be getting out of hand as people get back to riding in groups again post lockdown. Also with the understanding that groups are more necessary now with crime considerations etc

Ride safe

Can you explain how the bold underlined is possible without you overtaking into the face of oncoming traffic.

Not trying to start a fight here just trying to understand the scenario because I'm the O that learns best with pictures

Actually there are two points, you just too narrow minded to see them:

1. riding single file on a narrow road with no shoulder will always be dangerous and motorist will get annoyed and ask the question 'what are these roadies thinking riding on this road'

2. it's always roadies that are perceived to have bad attitudes, but guys on their mtb's also have attitudes and block/take up a fair bit of road space given the design/specs of their bikes

Hahaha

Nothing you said earlier, or here, has anything to do with: road cyclists, riding in too large a bunch, at the Cradle.

You may well have a valid point, but not here and not now.

I would like to complain about the bakkie that hit a cyclist in the yellow lane on the R44 who was not concentrating.

I would like to moan about the bakkie that was not looking at Noordehoek this weekend and jumped accross an intersection hitting a cyclist.

I would like to complain about the woman so busy on her whatsapp coming up llandudno, she swore at me when I tapped on her window and she dropped her phone. 

I would like to complain about the punish pass some knob in a white Hilux did on myself and 2 ladies on a blind corner. 

Drivers just dont pay attention. 

I have found it best to not ride in the gutter as the drivers think they can squeeze past on double white lines. 

I dont care the situation, the person in the 2 ton machine has to take responsibility. 

I have been in plaster with two broken arms a bruised back, head and badly bruised sit bones, and been on pain medication since the 24th September as a result of a driver cutting across an intersection illegally and taking me out, so I do t need to be preached to!!!

Can you explain how the bold underlined is possible without you overtaking into the face of oncoming traffic.

Not trying to start a fight here just trying to understand the scenario because I'm the O that learns best with pictures

I was not there but maybe:

1. Peloton headed north and occupying the emergency lane plus most of northbound carriageway up to the centre line.
  2. Irritated, angry, unlicensed and/or drunk truck driver (delete any which might not be applicable) headed north overtakes the peloton using the remainder of the width of the northbound carriageway as well as a lot of the southbound carriageway on the other side of the centre line.
  3. OP heading south crosses a blind rise to encounter the above 2 heading in his direction.

I dont care the situation, the person in the 2 ton machine has to take responsibility. 

I am sure you do care. That is why you will, as a cyclist take evasive action (or pro-active avoidance action), irrespective of the situation.

The debate here is when does the action of a cyclist blocking the path of a 2 ton machine reduce the chances of a "situation" becoming an impact one, and at what stage does it exacerbate the situation?

"Fault" is a secondary consideration. This about drivers and cyclists manipulating their vehicles and each other's psychologies. Up to the point when there is an impact, then the cyclist will always loose.

Edited by i24

I would like to complain about the bakkie that hit a cyclist in the yellow lane on the R44 who was not concentrating.

I would like to moan about the bakkie that was not looking at Noordehoek this weekend and jumped accross an intersection hitting a cyclist.

I would like to complain about the woman so busy on her whatsapp coming up llandudno, she swore at me when I tapped on her window and she dropped her phone.

I would like to complain about the punish pass some knob in a white Hilux did on myself and 2 ladies on a blind corner.

Drivers just dont pay attention.

I have found it best to not ride in the gutter as the drivers think they can squeeze past on double white lines.

One of the things I learnt from commuting.

Don’t ride in the gutter, the closer you are to the drivers line of site the better the chances of being seen.

Obviously don’t be a chop about it, but to far to the left, especially in bad light and your chances of being seen diminish way to much.

I am sure you do care. That is why you will, as a cyclist take evasive action (or pro-active avoidance action), irrespective of the situation.

The debate here is when does the action of a cyclist blocking the path of a 2 ton machine reduce the chances of a "situation" becoming an impact one, and at what stage does it exacerbate the situation?

"Fault" is a secondary consideration. This about drivers and cyclists manipulating their vehicles and each other's psychologies. Up to the point when there is an impact, then the cyclist will always loose.

I dont see it as blocking but making the 2 ton machine driver to actually engage his brain and pass when its safe to do so if it was another car driver.