Cyclist assaulted in Camps Bay

FootballingCyclist

I think this is another great reason to have an E-BIKE

Stability to ride that slap

Power to chase them down

Kickstand to park the bike and slap them back

Sadly not ....

I was riding there last week, on my ebike..... 

25 or 32km/h (Euro or American bike) is your maximum speed .... so things are just going to happen at a higher speed.

And no, unless there are robots ahead there is no way of "chasing them down".

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of the main reasons I was hoping justice would be served. Remember a fee years ago when navy staff hit a cyclist with a sjambok out of a car window as the cyclist was going up Red Hill. If this case doesn't go the full distance, atleast the people will realise how stupid something Like this is. It's amusing to the small minded minority and if 10% of that minority can see that justice will be served or how serious their actions are, that's 10% more over to the "good side". And with everything today for kids being about "likes and follows", if this had been let slide, as said above, the next okes were going to try and outdo these guys and it would've been a downward spiral until someone ended up in hospital, or worse..

The fact that it never happened again points to the possibility that either the guys responsible were found and quietly punished (heavily so and made known to the rest) or the Navy made it clear to the enlisted that there would be very serious consequences should they be found to be doing these sorts of things. The one thing the Navy does take seriously is the way it is seen by the public especially those based in Simon's Town as it is the main Naval base.

Do you run around slapping people and expect to get away with it because "its not assault" ?

No I don't run around slapping people. By the dictionary definition, it probably is assault and legally the victim is well within his rights to lay a charge.

But seriously, is a slap on the backside worthy of criminal charges, court appearances, legal fees etc.

When I read the title of this thread, I imagined a cyclist being beaten up, covered in blood lying in the road in Camps bay, not someone slapped on the backside.

Personally, I would probably also be annoyed if a bunch of misfits was having fun at my expense and would probably like to return the favour with a klap to the face, but I wouldn't do that and I wouldn't go through all the hassle of laying charges, but that is just me.

Everybody else has a different opinion and that's great. The victim is within his rights to lay a charge, but considering how stressed our police and justice system is, I suspect nothing will come of it.

Edited by Eugene

No man...

If you are knocked sideways and land up skitting into the gutter or going over stones or a man hole etc the MTB will save your bacon.

Let's not argue semantics.

I have also been riding since forever and in a situation like that I would prefer to be on my MTB.

It has more get out of jail free cards. The sitting position, cleat/shoe setup etc is also more set up for bailing easier, so if you do fall you can often escape injury far easier than on the road bike.

It's also easier to ramp the pavement and bunny hop and and and which all help if making forced evasive manoeuvre's. 

That's how I see it anyway. 

Would you have crashed on the Chappies descent if you were on your MTB? ;)

SNIP

I must say, the little time I spend on the road to get to the dirt is pure agony, you have to constantly watch and observe every little thing, excuse the pun, you simply don't know what will hit you from behind out of the blue.

SNIP

giphy.gif

Edited by 'Dale

but we ignore the psychological effects and chalk it up to experience but its well known its the emotional damage that leads to problems further down the line. Ya people should be tougher but that comes at a cost to society. In this case condoning iflicting physcial harm on someone for laughs on a moronic social media platform shows that we're definitely evolving in the wrong direction

I Don't know about this are we not breeding a group of Pansies.

Was there really any physical harm (I understand the maybe. could have scenarios)

Regarding cyber bullying and emotional damage. Really. Unless you are a millennial with a thin skin what harm can anything someone says do you? This is off topic though: But really if you feel someone is threatening you online, deal with it, ignore it or take yourself out of that circle.

Same as saying you cant call someone of colour a monkey. So in stead I can muster up all the expletives I can think of for that person and I will be ok. Crimean injuria case coming but that is noting compared to what the racial slur will bring to bear down on me. 

I tell you society has become a bunch of pansies keyboard worriers. The sad thing is that nothing a keyboard warrior can do will upset me, unless they have exposed me of something to be worried about, and then I should.

Good god we have become wimps. (not detracting from the person the OP posted about's right to make a case. But damn was it not that person's right to post. 

Anyway back to my cave as I seem to be considered a Neanderthal.

Yes, Eugene & Mudlark, it is assault.

I would like to see how you laugh it off when you lying dead in a ditch next to the road.

This is extremely dangerous, just because someone didn't get hurt this time, doesn't mean its not.

The more people condone this type of behavior, the more frequently it will happen and not very long before some serious damage is done.

It is not OK on ANY level.

Thanks, I don't need the lecture from you. I know exactly what it is at a technical legal level. But my sense of proportion is quite different to yours. Maybe because I'm an "old toppie". Y'know, the generation that used to play "kleilat oorlog" when they were kids. Honestly, in a country where SAPS and the courts don't have enough resources to deal with rape, robbery and murder. At most this requires an in person genuine apology for rank immaturity (and maybe stupidity). And an acknowledgement and recognition that they could have caused serious injury. Dis stout goeters hierdie, nie kwaadwillige goeters.

Thanks, I don't need the lecture from you. I know exactly what it is at a technical legal level. But my sense of proportion is quite different to yours. Maybe because I'm an "old toppie". Y'know, the generation that used to play "kleilat oorlog" when they were kids. Honestly, in a country where SAPS and the courts don't have enough resources to deal with rape, robbery and murder. At most this requires an in person genuine apology for rank immaturity (and maybe stupidity). And an acknowledgement and recognition that they could have caused serious injury. Dis stout goeters hierdie, nie kwaadwillige goeters.

I'm not so concerned about the "technical legal level".  Its dangerous and I don't wish it on myself or anybody else.

As far as age is concerned, I'm only 2 years behind you.  Daai tipe stout is gevaarlik en kan baie maklik verander in kwaadwilligheid as dit nie in die kiem gesmoor word nie.

I'm not so concerned about the "technical legal level". Its dangerous and I don't wish it on myself or anybody else.

As far as age is concerned, I'm only 2 years behind you. Daai tipe stout is gevaarlik en kan baie maklik verander in kwaadwilligheid as dit nie in die kiem gesmoor word nie.

Ek hoor wat se jy.

No I don't run around slapping people. By the dictionary definition, it probably is assault and legally the victim is well within his rights to lay a charge.

But seriously, is a slap on the backside worthy of criminal charges, court appearances, legal fees etc.

When I read the title of this thread, I imagined a cyclist being beaten up, covered in blood lying in the road in Camps bay, not someone slapped on the backside.

Personally, I would probably also be annoyed if a bunch of misfits was having fun at my expense and would probably like to return the favour with a klap to the face, but I wouldn't do that and I wouldn't go through all the hassle of laying charges, but that is just me.

Everybody else has a different opinion and that's great. The victim is within his rights to lay a charge, but considering how stressed our police and justice system is, I suspect nothing will come of it.

Yes. Stop the behavior before it turns into something worse where someone is seriously injured. 

If they act like children, then treat them like children.