Cyclist assaulted in Camps Bay

FootballingCyclist

Yes, Eugene & Mudlark, it is assault.

I would like to see how you laugh it off when you lying dead in a ditch next to the road.

This is extremely dangerous, just because someone didn't get hurt this time, doesn't mean its not.

The more people condone this type of behavior, the more frequently it will happen and not very long before some serious damage is done.

It is not OK on ANY level.

I have had someone with a horn lean out a vehicle and blast it into my ear, I almost fell off the bike in surprise/fright, it was very sketchy and the laughter from the perps made it a good deal worse.

I was flaming furious, if I had sufficient body mass and I could have caught up to the idiots car I would have beaten him to a pulp.

I hope the rider takes this guy all the way, makes an example because that's the only thing that helps prevent future incidents.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something else to consider, given the climate of bike jackings and muggings. Say the rider was armed and reacted, within rights. 

We'd be having a very different conversation about the results of a very stupid prank and who are pansies. 

In fact regardless of speculation of who or what came off second best. The bred pansy is not the chap on the bike.

Only problem is the law say you can only re-act with a fire-arm if your life (or someone else's) is in imminent danger.  Other type of weapons like a base-ball bat (a bit unpractical on a bike), go for it.

Unfortunately this incident will not stick in court as being imminent life threatening, although it can potentially lead to that if the cyclists end up under a car.

Edited by Theog

I posted the video because it was sent to me and so the victim could see that there is footage of what took place, He could choose whether to take action or not, And also to make people aware that this is not at all "fun and games" because if this was not shared, next time the next rider may not have been so lucky and then it would've been "Oh well you should've shared the video the 1st Time which could've avoided this incident because it's not their 1st time they've done this".

If you feel that you only need to involve yourself or create awareness when something affects you directly, then that's the way you can live your life, But I shall create awareness where I can the same as I would do with GBV crimes and child abuse so the people around me know I don't tolerate it. With your mindset if people you know are abusing woman and children, you wont say anything because hey, you not the victim right?? I am cyclist who use that stretch of road atleast 3 times a week so I had every right to share the video even though I was not the victim, and as stated before, he has now been located due to the video going viral!

You defs did the correct thing.

I dont see any need for police and lawyers but the little skelms do need some sort of discipline.  So a little knock on the front door, and a sit down with ma , pa and skelm and a good talking to should sort this out.  They didnt mean harm but they couldve caused major damage so they need to be educated .

I was taken out buy some lunatic a few years back,   started a whole thread here on the hub about it, she clipped my handlebars whilst was bombing down visserhoek rd at approx 60kmh.  All i can say my camelbak and baggie ssaved me from a lot of pain.  I was roasted head to toe. got a nice titanium plate in my arm for my troubles.  Pressed charges.   Case was clear as day hit and run even had a witness.  After a month they were dropped .  1m rule my ASS excuse the pun.

Edited by Stevief

You defs did the correct thing.

I dont see any need for police and lawyers but the little skelms do need some sort of discipline.  So a little knock on the front door, and a sit down with ma , pa and skelm and a good talking to should sort this out.  They didnt mean harm but they couldve caused major damage so they need to be educated .

I was taken out buy some lunatic a few years back,   started a whole thread here on the hub about it, she clipped my handlebars whilst was bombing down visserhoek rd at approx 60kmh.  All i can say my camelbak and baggie ssaved me from a lot of pain.  I was roasted head to toe. got a nice titanium plate in my arm for my troubles.  Pressed charges.   Case was clear as day hit and run even had a witness.  After a month they were dropped .  1m rule my ASS excuse the pun.

They will tell you to ****O**f

I have had someone with a horn lean out a vehicle and blast it into my ear, I almost fell off the bike in surprise/fright, it was very sketchy and the laughter from the perps made it a good deal worse.

I was flaming furious, if I had sufficient body mass and I could have caught up to the idiots car I would have beaten him to a pulp.

I hope the rider takes this guy all the way, makes an example because that's the only thing that helps prevent future incidents.

At the risk of sounding like a whenwe

LOL know the feeling, about 20 years ago when we lived in SA a bunch of guys shot me with a BB / pellet gun in the bum from behind at close range and then drove off laughing

If i could have caught them i would have beaten them to a pulp with my bicycle pump  :whistling:

At the risk of sounding like a whenwe

LOL know the feeling, about 20 years ago when we lived in SA a bunch of guys shot me with a BB / pellet gun in the bum from behind at close range and then drove off laughing

If i could have caught them i would have beaten them to a pulp with my bicycle pump  :whistling:

Yoh.... that escalated quickly. From being shot in the bum to a roadside pomping!!!!!

The problem is they posted the video and their friends followers saw it and it then normalized it, encouraging someone else young and dumb to do something.

Sitting down and having a chat with them and hugging it out is not going to help. Their friends/followers have to see that there is real life consequences for assault even if they think it’s funny.

No problem.

On the road the width of the tyres is not going to do much for stability.

I think it boils down to what you have experience on, for me my Road bike is way more stable on the road than my MTB.

26 or 29?

it depends more on centre of gravity than just contact patch and width of bars. MTB steering i.e. for offset and trail is set up to try to deliver quick steering while achieving stability through the wheelbase.

but on a road bike your CoG is lower. I find its much of a muchness and not a blanket rule that MTB is more stable. Perhaps through the full range of a manoeuvre the mtb is but inthe case of being slapped from behind its the micro movements that come into play and i find a road bike gives you more immediate feedback that allows for a quicker response and action 

Classic Bike Hub Friday...we're discussing engineering now instead of sharing our legal expertise  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”― Edmund Burke 

Going to leave this here.

And some armchair philosophy! Kant would like a word, we're still not sure who the good men or the bad men are and what defines each as such  :whistling:  :lol:

YES, the behaviour was totally unacceptable !!

And YES, laying a charge at the local cop shop may possibly be a wakeup call for these youngsters.  And YES, practical steps needs to be taken to stop this type of behaviour before it becomes the next "thing" ....

BUT ... what can realistically be achieved ?

There are at least three "perps" :

1) Driver .... driving without a seatbelt is the only offence that can be proven.  

2) Front passenger .... sounds like this is a 17 year old ..... thanks to our lovely system he cant even get a "slap on the wrist", oooo the irony ....

3) Rear passenger .... probably the worst that could happen is if he had sponsors that walked away due to a tarnished reputation, and how likely is that to happen ....

I DO hope there is more that can be achieved .... but somehow I think these punks are laughing at this thread, realising that they already "got away" with their behaviour.

NOTE - I am NOT condoning their behaviour, rather bemoaning our system for not being effective in addressing this until somebody actually gets hurt .... 

Heh. Back in Maritzburg in the mid 2000s I was set upon by a well known bodybuilder type and his young thug mates, they must have been hopped up on cocaine or something. Unprovoked they smashed the living daylights out of my BMW 330Ci with a baseball bat, totally ruined it. Went to the cops, laid charges, led the cops to the scene where they were still brandishing the bat...well, after bodybuilder guy 'spoke' with the cop, likely talking out of his wallet, that was the end of that.

Then there was the time I got punched in the mouth, twice, by a thug who'd nearly knocked me off my bike (yea I waved my hand at him). That one also didn't get very far...late 90s, that one was. Also in Pmb...The Friendly City.

I think the bigger issue here is that this type of prank is potentially very dangerous to cyclists and should be nipped in the bud, not so much about the actual physical harm that was done in this case(don't think anyone is under illusions there)

Sad thing is it will do nothing except to the one individual so whatever happens to him it is going to have no effect on the wider populace.

On the rest, I have some sympathy, can't say I have ever been hurt by a stranger shouting at me on the interwebs. But also I don't think we have ever lived in a world where we could say what we want to whoever we want. The things people get offended by just changed over time

Yes, because in the past you had to say it to a persons face. But still you can just ignore any posting on the interweb.