Excessive chain wear. Replacement due at 1000km

DR ◣◢

Not sure if this is normal on 12spd KMC chains but according to my Park CC-3.2 i’m at 0.5% but not close to 0.75% yet.

Look like a replacement is due at 0.5 to save the rest of the drivetrain from premature death.

The SO’s bike running a SRAM chain isn’t close to 0.5 yet after the same kms done. I put down more power than what she does so I guess it is to be expected.

Chains are scrubbed clean with soapy water and lubed once a week with dry lube. I hate a dirty gunked up chain full of dirt. I avoid the grinding paste as far as possible.

Won’t lie, i’m very disappointed. 1000km... ouch

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I replace at 75%, certainly not at 50%. That been said, I never go a decimal over 75%.

Generally get 6 chains on a drive train with the last ridden to 100%.

Edited by BMXER

Worst part. Only two wet rides. Both times i used Squirt wax to ensure its a little better protected. I even stopped on the trail, rinsed the chain, reapplied lube after going through a puddle that was a lot deeper than a puddle.

The chain is the one bundled with “ SLX M7100 12 SPEED UPGRADE KIT WITH SUNRACE 11-51T (SH+) CASSETTE AND KMC 12SPD CHAIN” kit.

I’ve had nothing but **** with this drivetrain. Everything is made of cheese and the cassette has one cog that simply won’t shift right.

Absolute garbage. SLX used to be good.

I replace at 75%, certainly not at 50%. That been said, I never go a decimal over 75%.

Generally get 6 chains on a drive train with the last ridden to 100%.

Mileage over those 6 months?

Worst part. Only two wet rides. Both times i used Squirt wax to ensure its a little better protected. I even stopped on the trail, rinsed the chain, reapplied lube after going through a puddle that was a lot deeper than a puddle.

The chain is the one bundled with “ SLX M7100 12 SPEED UPGRADE KIT WITH SUNRACE 11-51T (SH+) CASSETTE AND KMC 12SPD CHAIN” kit.

I’ve had nothing but **** with this drivetrain. Everything is made of cheese and the cassette has one cog that simply won’t shift right.

technically you only have an SLX shifter......

Ouch ....

I am on 1 300km. I checked the wear last week ... not even 0,25. I checked on 4 different spots as I expexted some more wear.

This is an 11 speed, on an ebike.

I have had the odd ride in the rain, but mostly avoid mud ....

Drive is often cleaned and lubed.

I got way better out of the original KMC 11 speed chain on my bike - around 4k km before I decided to change it at .75 using the same gauge as you. I have a bargain basement SRAM chain on the bike now and after 1000 km or so its not even at .5. To add insult to injury I don't ever wash my chains thoroughly and simply wipe them down periodically with a towelling rag and add wax lube if they're dry.

The KMC 12sp chains are considered to be quite "soft" chains.

As previously mentioned - Sram XX1 eagle has the longest life of almost any chain.

It may sound stupid, but is the cable routed correctly on the right side of the pinch bolt on the derailleur?  I've seen an SLX 12sp routed the wrong way and it gave issues but also generally worked.  A quick switch around of the cable and it was 100%

technically you only have an SLX shifter......

You forgot the derailleur which is also a piece of ****. Clutch was toast around 600km and required a major rebuild. Not covered by warranty as it is “wear and tear”

Edited by DR ◣◢

Sometimes too much washing is also bad. Wax lubes squish out from between the rollers and plates and take the crud with it. Just re-apply lube so that it gets inside and when its dry, ride. the wax will do the cleaning.

When you wash a chain it takes a long time for the water inside the rollers to evaporate, and if you apply lube before that you trap the water.

Edited by Maaknplan

It may sound stupid, but is the cable routed correctly on the right side of the pinch bolt on the derailleur? I've seen an SLX 12sp routed the wrong way and it gave issues but also generally worked. A quick switch around of the cable and it was 100%

Not my first tango building a bike ????. Everything is to spec.

The main issue these days when people talk about chain ware is that 90% of the peeps keep their bikes in bubble wrap and they never ride where an MTB is supposed to be ridden. Once you do you see that wear is still what it always was.

I use to get (9 and 10 Speed 3 and 2x) 1,000 to 1,500km on a chain if lucky. then prices went up and tech got "better" but actually we ended up with more golfers riding on gravel and the roads so chain ware went down.

Edited by TDFN

Sometimes too much washing is also bad. Wax lubes squish out from between the rollers and plates and take the crud with it. Just re-apply lube so that it gets inside and when its dry, ride. the wax will do the cleaning.

When you wash a chain it takes a long time for the water inside the rollers to evaporate, and if you apply lube before that you trap the water.

Chains are properly dried after each wash. Normally sits for about 5 days before lube is applied. Definitely not an issue with water hanging around inside the chain.