Attempted bike-jacking this morning, SMITSWINKEL...

Zebra

I don't think its such a simple escape route. If you flagged down a car you would easily catch the guy going to redhill on his own steam. Simknstown you'd need to be quicker but a phone call to the cops or a friend and he could be blocked

likely a tiktokkop taking a chance. A sophisticated jacking would have a getaway vehicle nearby

Edited by DieselnDust

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too sure these people deserve a beat down by a large human though.

A mauling from a large animal on the other hand....

At least then it won't be a racist attack.

Thinking that weekend rides going to have a follow vehicle in the near future.

Nope...I have decided.I feel far safer across the border.

likely a tiktokkop taking a chance. A sophisticated jacking would have a getaway vehicle nearby

Agreed ... also doubt a sophisticated jacking would be put off by screams and shouts.

Seems this oke may have stumbled out of the bush and thought he was being attacked by a cyclist.

Killarney 2 hours mondays, 2 hours tuesday, 1hour thursday, rest of the time on the Tygerberg MTB or Zwift :'(

I'm exagerating a bit as I do ride on the TV beachfront with my daughter quite often, and every once in a while head down to town to get some climbing, but I'm definitely going to avoid the south from now on, and this side contermanskloof road as well. I did cycle past dunoon a few times this month (flat out) but it's such a busy road it actually feels not too scary

Edited by Jbr

Unfortnately this has been a reality for a while in PTA and JHB already. Sad it will be needed in the cape too. 

I dont feel safe doing a long ride without a back up vehicle anymore around here, and the informal settlements they can dissapear into seem to pop up around every corner.

The malice and voilence of these attacks is concerning though, this goes beyond theft. The obviously not just doing this for money

I am not the fastest rider but I have a loads of frustration will gladly join you guys for a ride to help out ????

Not too sure these people deserve a beat down by a large human though.

A mauling from a large animal on the other hand....

deserve... It's the only language they understand and if they still do it again afterwards it wasn't good enough.

We can't comprehend how their justice works.

Our house keeper told us the "people" caught one stealing yesterday dipped him in petrol and woef. I have also seen a short while ago how a group of about ten beat one to near death. Animals treat the ones who wronged them more humane.

This is getting F*%#ing insane.

I ride this route at least once a week and live in the south specifically to just be able to ride out of my house without having to get into a car to go for beautiful rides like this.

I completely get that it's really, really rough out there for allot of people and that in these desperate times this is what happens, but the unfortunate these incidents come with violent attacks, even if this one didn't it still makes you think twice about going on that ride, and before you know you don't ride at all anymore. 

Really really sucks how more and more of our freedom is being taken away by the mere fact of if you go out there might be a 50% chance that you get mugged.

Time to start carrying while riding I suppose. Also not very cool.

Hi - further details to follow, but my mate Brett managed to evade an attempted Bike Jacking EARLIER TODAY, uphill section approaching Simtswinkel corner, that gravel parking lot, I would guess 200m - 300m before that parking lot, bugger hiding in the bushes...more detail to follow as I get it.

(interesting, Brett is a friend of Andrew who got bike jacked TWICE... both avoid Ocean View Corner, and now getting (attempted) bike jacking near Smitswinkel - where will it all end?)

Cheers

Chris

I'm sure you've read the tepid misery follow vehicles cause in the cradle in joburg, which has plenty space, wide yellow lines, and few cars. I can only imagine the chaos a follow vehicle would cause on those narrow twisty roads below CT. (if I'm picturing the right ones...)

I fully intend to keep riding here, I don't see this is a disturbing trend and a NO-GO area....yet.

i hope not...don't really want to see a coffee panel van always crawling behind mamils, surely a big group is already enough.

I'm sure you've read the tepid misery follow vehicles cause in the cradle in joburg, which has plenty space, wide yellow lines, and few cars. I can only imagine the chaos a follow vehicle would cause on those narrow twisty roads below CT. (if I'm picturing the right ones...)

why focus so much on the negative?

The time of the morning most large groups with follow ars hit the road most arseholes are only coming home from the Shebeen, you know the place curfew doesn't apply.

Now Squirrel wants to address the middle class to tell us what skallywags we have been while the township economy trucks on unabated

why focus so much on the negative?

The time of the morning most large groups with follow ars hit the road most arseholes are only coming home from the Shebeen, you know the place curfew doesn't apply.

Now Squirrel wants to address the middle class to tell us what skallywags we have been while the township economy trucks on unabated

Other than irony I'm not sure what to take from that

Think we need to sponsor some Etzebeths with bikes ...

Has anyone seen the Krav Maga place in Noordhoek? Perhaps I should stop instead of missioning past next time?