Advice: Sani2C December 2020

aquaratza

specially if your tent is in proximity to mine....

(not riding this year sadly)

@ OP are you riding solo? If possible get to know your partner in terms of pace by doing a couple of rides together.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

I've been very graciously sponsored to ride the upcoming Sani2C, this coming December 2020. I'm looking forward to it but I'm also apprehensive haha :eek: . My main concerns are the altitude, heat and humidity, but generally I just don't know what to expect.

Could anyone share some advice on the event? Like anything you think one should take with them that might not be obvious?

- Would you recommend any specific bike spares?

- How difficult are those floating bridges?

- How easy is it to charge a phone?

- What is cellular coverage like en-route and in the villages?

- Do water points have low sugar stuff like baby potatoes?  :ph34r:

I've shored up my bike setup with a new saddle (which I've spent a few hours riding now - it RAWKS) and a general bike service. I'm also planning on carrying an USWE backpack for water (3L).

I'm thinking of carrying a first aid kit in my backpack and a satellite tracker.

Any advice really or just say hi so we can share in the excitement (or fear)  :)

EOF

Make sure you can sort out chain issues and punctures/holes, all we needed in 4 Sani's

The faster you go the easier it gets  :whistling:

Its a bit of a mission and quite busy so rather take a proper power bank

Never checked coverage during the ride but its good at the villages

- Do water points have low sugar stuff like baby potatoes?

Yip, everything you can think of

• If you can sleep at a b&b before day 1
  • Earplugs and a headlight is a nice to have at the race villages
  • I am very jealous
  • Save some matches for the last 10km on day 1
  • Enjoy day 2, that drop down to the Umko is amazing
  • Day 3, start slow and finish strong!
  • I am very jealous

As said before, keep something in the tank on day two, for the climb out of the Umko valley. It is a bastard of a climb, and in the midday heat it becomes rather tedious. 

We had a stop to take a swim in the river, before tackling the climb out.

And obviously the Umko Drop is what this adventure is all about....

Sani2C is very well organized. The farming community are extremely helpful.

We rode the first part Day 2 on Saturday morning. From McKenzie Club to the uMkomaas River Bridge. We started at 7am. A late because of the drive out from Pmb. The route is as spectacular as usual. The drop down the uMkomaas is still rad. Fast flowing sections. I have some footage if anyone wants an idea of the decent.

Heat was something else. The average temperature was 37. The max hit 48 on my Wahoo Bolt. Hydration is going to be key this year. The drop down the uMkomaas drains your resources. The few little bumps along the drop gets you reaching for your water bottle often. Most the guys went through two bottles within 30km. It was hot. Zero breeze to cool you down in the valley. The climb out of the valley will be a challenge. So take your time and fill up at the Maritzburg College Water Table.

Enjoy the ride.

I suggest you put each days riding kit in different zip locks bags which makes it very easy to sort out your kit for the next day and the dity stuff goes back into the empty bag.

I had all my kit and casual wear in different zip locks which made much easier to sort out. It's also much easier to unpack your box when you are looking for something.

Hi all

I've been very graciously sponsored to ride the upcoming Sani2C, this coming December 2020. I'm looking forward to it but I'm also apprehensive haha :eek: . My main concerns are the altitude, heat and humidity, but generally I just don't know what to expect.

Could anyone share some advice on the event? Like anything you think one should take with them that might not be obvious?

- Do water points have low sugar stuff like baby potatoes?  :ph34r:

I've shored up my bike setup with a new saddle (which I've spent a few hours riding now - it RAWKS) and a general bike service. I'm also planning on carrying an USWE backpack for water (3L).

I'm thinking of carrying a first aid kit in my backpack and a satellite tracker.

Any advice really or just say hi so we can share in the excitement (or fear)  :)

EOF

Make sure you can ride 100km with some hills and you'll be good.  

Take it easy on the first day, get through the second, gun the third. 

Third day is longer than you'd expect, but you'll be sad it's ending.

Hi. Would you guys recommend a full sus XC type bike or a hardtail?

Depends what you like.  Guys have done it on gravel bikes.  It's not particularly techinical.

I like full sus because I'm old and they're comfortable.

Edit: I'm so tired by the time I sleep that ear plugs have never been an issue.  If you can't sleep, you didn't go hard enough...  :ph34r:

And you probably didn't drink beers - so you'all have outed yourselves as pussies. 

#justsayin'

Edited by davetapson

In case nobody mentioned - pack 3 sets of cycling clothes in a zip lock bag for each of the 3 days. At the end of the day you stick the sweaty muddy stinky clothes in the same empty bag and zip it up. Your box won't smell like a pigsty and your other kit will stay clean.

In case nobody mentioned - pack 3 sets of cycling clothes in a zip lock bag for each of the 3 days. At the end of the day you stick the sweaty muddy stinky clothes in the same empty bag and zip it up. Your box won't smell like a pigsty and your other kit will stay clean.

Jip.

One of the best tips I ever got.

Inside the bag is your day's socks, sweets/bars/goodies/drugs, the days supplements in a smaller ziplock.

So you know if the back is "empty", you are all packed and ready to go.  

Thanks again for all the replies, some really useful stuff.

• If you can sleep at a b&b before day 1
  • Earplugs and a headlight is a nice to have at the race villages
  • I am very jealous
  • Save some matches for the last 10km on day 1
  • Enjoy day 2, that drop down to the Umko is amazing
  • Day 3, start slow and finish strong!

Awesome, this is super useful!

Thanks DJR and Pusher, great idea.

@RocknRolla: We're two teams of two each, the other team mates are family. Our skills and speed vary greatly. I don't know who I'll be paired with but whatever happens I'm sure it'll be fun :)

My List:

- USB power banks

- Brake pads

- Sunscreen

- Hydration (backpack in my case)

- First Aid, Ibuprofen, Rennies

- Ear plugs

- Tabard/Anti-Mosquito

- Pillow (!!) - did not think of this

- Ziplock bag for phone (good idea)

- Pack cycling gear individually to avoid pigsty smell

- Puncture Kit

- Headlight

- Action Camera (GoPro/OSMO)

Maybe:

- Spare Derailleur

What are the temperatures for this time of year in KZN? When i did it in March, day 2 was 45degrees and many of us had the squirts making for an interesting day. Take some imodium and wash your hands even more than they recommend for Covid.