The Munga 2020

JohanDiv

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like Pierre Oosthuizen has caught a lift with the Ambo to De Aar which makes Patsy our last rider on the route but she's 5 hours behind the cut.

Quick bit of mental math - that CUT line travels at about 10kph, and Patsy is rolling at around 15. There's quite a few fast stretches coming up where if she's strong she can push quicker, but even so it's a lot of ground to make up.

Edit - interestingly, unless my math is out she's got about 750km to go and 75 hours left, which makes the CUT line on the map feel a bit advanced. If Patsy can plug a moving average of say 15km/h, and eat quickly/on the move, she should still have time for some proper naps of 3 or 4 hours each. Or did I make a miscalc somewhere?

Edited by walkerr

Hansie should have just passed the 900km mark!

He (and if Kevin is close by) have a huge lead.

Insane

INSANE .... looks like he(they) only had an hour off the bike between 2am and 3am .... then back on?

post-20017-0-57422000-1607067096_thumb.png

Hanno is strong,he is experienced in this race.Seems his strategy this year was start a bit slower then go full out.They are now strong on the way to Sutherland.Good gravel road with a bit of tar before town.

Do not think they going to spend much time there.The section after Sutherland is windy as hell and a tough little pass before the big drop into tankwa.

It is not a joy , very rough and rocky and is scary doing it in daylight . In the dark must be much worse

I've only ever done Ouberg going up, ... there is some nasty/technical slabs of rock which is especially slippery if there is debris strewn, or gravel over it  .... Need to be careful descending, but some parts of it, to the bottom really great.  :)

It is not a joy , very rough and rocky and is scary doing it in daylight . In the dark must be much worse

I popped my fork seals down there because I love downhill but with a extra 5 kgs on the bike the forks were unhappy.

I've only ever done Ouberg going up, ... there is some nasty/technical slabs of rock which is especially slippery if there is debris strewn, or gravel over it  .... Need to be careful descending, but some parts of it, to the bottom really great.  :)

Best bit about going down it (apart from a break from pedalling) is WP9 just along the road - proper oasis, where they look at how broken you are and bring coffee and food to your chair because they know your legs don't wanna get up again. All the WPs were great, but this one was beyond.

Edited by walkerr

Kevin has been given the tracker marked “comm” at RV 4. Maybe three hours off Hansie

Seems like we missed a whole lot then. Thanks for update.

Hansie then a sure thing?

Edit: Unless Benky is fresher and able to push a bit more.

Edited by Roul

I went up it during a Trans Karoo and my only thought sukkling up it was that I'd rather be going up than down....