Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2021

Tuxstir

I lost about 14 kilos last year. Always been a nice bad eater even when training for ironman but in July I realised that the old adage you can’t outtrain a bad diet was in fact true. So I started on the Noom program. It’s an aid for ppl like me that cannot say no. 

4 months later an now am off the program but learnt enough to know which foods to eat in moderation and the calorie count of foods I was eating. Cycling is so much easier and even running is so much smoother with better recovery times. Sleep better too and drop a size in Levi’s. 

well done to some ppl here. Excellent. Good for health and general well being esp in these times. 

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking’s might be nice to create a strava group and maybe even dischord audio for the guys more keen on the indoor riding. 

So I ran out of talent on my MTB in august and was booked off any exercise for six months, with an anticipated full recovery period of a year. I am a little on the heavy side to start off with, but now I'm a proper fatty having gained 9kg.

Any ideas on how I could shed some weight over the next twelve months, without eating only rabbit food?

Edited by Jigghead

Jigghead, a few ideas I have used, with some success, might help you?

before eating junk, I drink down 750ml of water, flavoured with those sugar-free druppels, then I either don’t need another snack, else I need less of a snack than otherwise!

waiting till 10am in the morning before eating, works wonders, think of it as a mini-fast, and paradoxically I can then eat LESS than I would at say 7am or 8am, etc…

try and eat the ‘healthier side’ of snacks when having a snack, ie, popcorn maybe more healthy than chips, Tab is obviously better than Coke, LITTLE changes, that make a COMPOUND difference…

maybe popcorn before chips, nuts rather than chocolate/sweets, obviously do your research…

eating at the dinner table, rather than in bed/in front of TV, etc, also gives a bit of discipline, call it MINDFUL eating!
good luck

Chris

Edited by Zebra

On 1/1/2022 at 9:12 PM, IceCreamMan said:

I lost about 14 kilos last year. Always been a nice bad eater even when training for ironman but in July I realised that the old adage you can’t outtrain a bad diet was in fact true. So I started on the Noom program. It’s an aid for ppl like me that cannot say no. 

4 months later an now am off the program but learnt enough to know which foods to eat in moderation and the calorie count of foods I was eating. Cycling is so much easier and even running is so much smoother with better recovery times. Sleep better too and drop a size in Levi’s. 

well done to some ppl here. Excellent. Good for health and general well being esp in these times. 

Nice to hear that Noom works. Using MyFitnessPal to keep a food diary and track calories etc, I also lost 14kg. Went from 102kg down to 88 kg a few years ago, but I'm back up to 94 kg now, and at least keeping it stable, but being in the eighties just made everything easier. So I *know* what I need to eat, but I've been wondering if I shouldn't just double down on Noom - I reckon I need the crutch/positive reinforcement. 

i was 2kg away from my ideal weight last year.  then covid struck and hit me hard.  4 months without the energy to ride or walk or anything.  after 3 and half months i went to play indoor cricket, honestly thought I was dying at after the game.  

went back to 92kg..... now I have to restart.

I was 91kg at the start of last year, had a very ambitious goal of 80kg by the end 2021.

Was well on my way, got to 85kg in June but then first had a nasty crash that took me off the bike for a month and afterwards a proper bout of covid. Picked up a load of kg's  but made a comeback at the tail-end of the year to finish on 86kg

So some mixed feelings about 2021 but lets go again in 2022.

2 hours ago, Vaultboy said:

Nice to hear that Noom works. Using MyFitnessPal to keep a food diary and track calories etc, I also lost 14kg. Went from 102kg down to 88 kg a few years ago, but I'm back up to 94 kg now, and at least keeping it stable, but being in the eighties just made everything easier. So I *know* what I need to eat, but I've been wondering if I shouldn't just double down on Noom - I reckon I need the crutch/positive reinforcement. 

It worked for me. Has a calorie counter component like my fitness pal which is at the core. Then uses daily lessons etc to change how we view food and what our triggers are. It’s not rocket science and you know it all already it just puts things into perspective. 

worked for me. I did a 4 month program and during that period tore a calf muscle so no exercise and still lost weight. Did not renew at beginning of December an weight is stable even over Christmas. Just made wiser choices. 

Cost me 88 quid for 4 months. A good investment in my case.  Cancelling was a doddle an was not billed again. So it all  works well. 

On 1/1/2022 at 7:12 PM, IceCreamMan said:

thats incredible- well done 

Is there no 2022 challenge up and running yet?

I need to drop at least 7kg within the next two months, panic stations before the Cape Epic!!

Last year I failed miserably to reach any goals.. ended 2020 on 82kg after dropping 43kg over the previous 3 years..new working conditions in 2021 and getting Covid twice through the year, with the last time being off the bike for three months got me back on 95kg.(K@k excuses, I know!)

I've been cycling again for the last 12 weeks now and my power has almost recovered back to where it was at the start of last year, but I can feel the weight holding me back, need to sort it out ASAP!

Edited by JohanDiv

1 hour ago, JohanDiv said:

Is there no 2022 challenge up and running yet?

I need to drop at least 7kg within the next two months, panic stations before the Cape Epic!!

Last year I failed miserably to reach any goals.. ended 2020 on 82kg after dropping 43kg over the previous 3 years..new working conditions in 2021 and getting Covid twice through the year, with the last time being off the bike for three months got me back on 95kg.(K@k excuses, I know!)

I've been cycling again for the last 12 weeks now and my power has almost recovered back to where it was at the start of last year, but I can feel the weight holding me back, need to sort it out ASAP!

What is the recipe for 7kg? I know it is different for everyone but I desperately need to drop at least 5kg before end of Feb. Trip to Karkloof is going to suck if I don’t shed some pounds. 

59 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

What is the recipe for 7kg? I know it is different for everyone but I desperately need to drop at least 5kg before end of Feb. Trip to Karkloof is going to suck if I don’t shed some pounds. 

Riding 6 days a week(Tuesday to Sunday), around 10-12 hours in total(some weeks more depending on the program) of which 3 sessions are usually structured interval sessions on the indoor trainer.

Monday Rest day where I'll be doing Pilates or Strength & Mobility training at the biokineticist.

But more importantly losing weight in the kitchen. Cutting back on bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, cheese and sugar is the main thing I do.

I tend to anyway skip breakfast, so won't have to change anything there. Just coffee with milk, without sugar.

10:00 tea with milk, no sugar.

For lunch I'll have three fruits. Usually an apple, banana and pear. Sometimes I get hungry around 11:00 and have one of the fruits then, Last fruit around 14:00. Coffee with milk, no sugar.

15:00 tea with milk, no sugar.

For dinner I usually make a chicken salad(only sauce I use is a little bit of sweet chili sauce, no mayo), everyday changing the recipe slightly to keep it interesting, and on two days in the week I'll have the chicken salad inside a wholewheat wrap(KFC twister style). Usual ingredients for the salad are tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, onions, beets, carrots, salt, pepper, lemon juice and avo. Sometime I make curry chicken for the salad instead of adding the sweet chili sauce. (Monday sweet chili chicken salad, Tuesday sweet chili chicken wrap, Wednesday curry chicken salad, Thursday curry chicken wrap, Friday sweet chili chicken salad...something like that). Usually have my dinner between 18:00 and 19:00.

On Saturdays I'll eat bananas and biltong on my long rides, sometimes a Farbar or two. That keeps me going until late afternoon braai with a few beers(up to 4). Skip the braaibroodjie or only have halve of one.. also I try not to eat four chops. 200g steak or 2x chops and wors is enough as the meat with a salad or roasted veggies on the side. Skip the potato and pasta salads!

Sundays same as Saturdays: Bananas and Biltong on the ride and then my wife usually cooks food for us for lunch/dinner. This is a bit of a "cheat meal" for the week. Like yesterday we had roasted chicken with rice and potatoes with sauce for lunch and the leftovers for dinner.

Edit: Oh and obviously no secret eating and snacking. No pudding and sweets. No fizzy sugary drinks. Lots of water and sparkling water if I don't feel like just normal water.

Edited by JohanDiv

12 minutes ago, JohanDiv said:

Riding 6 days a week(Tuesday to Sunday), around 10-12 hours in total(some weeks more depending on the program) of which 3 sessions are usually structured interval sessions on the indoor trainer.

Monday Rest day where I'll be doing Pilates or Strength & Mobility training at the biokineticist.

But more importantly losing weight in the kitchen. Cutting back on bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, cheese and sugar is the main thing I do.

I tend to anyway skip breakfast, so won't have to change anything there. Just coffee with milk, without sugar.

10:00 tea with milk, no sugar.

For lunch I'll have three fruits. Usually an apple, banana and pear. Sometimes I get hungry around 11:00 and have one of the fruits then, Last fruit around 14:00. Coffee with milk, no sugar.

15:00 tea with milk, no sugar.

For dinner I usually make a chicken salad(only sauce I use is a little bit of sweet chili sauce, no mayo), everyday changing the recipe slightly to keep it interesting, and on two days in the week I'll have the chicken salad inside a wholewheat wrap(KFC twister style). Usual ingredients for the salad are tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, onions, beets, carrots, salt, pepper, lemon juice and avo. Sometime I make curry chicken for the salad instead of adding the sweet chili sauce. (Monday sweet chili chicken salad, Tuesday sweet chili chicken wrap, Wednesday curry chicken salad, Thursday curry chicken wrap, Friday sweet chili chicken salad...something like that). Usually have my dinner between 18:00 and 19:00.

On Saturdays I'll eat bananas and biltong on my long rides, sometimes a Farbar or two. That keeps me going until late afternoon braai with a few beers(up to 4). Skip the braaibroodjie or only have halve of one.. also I try not to eat four chops. 200g steak or 2x chops and wors is enough as the meat with a salad or roasted veggies on the side. Skip the potato and pasta salads!

Sundays same as Saturdays: Bananas and Biltong on the ride and then my wife usually cooks food for us for lunch/dinner. This is a bit of a "cheat meal" for the week. Like yesterday we had roasted chicken with rice and potatoes with sauce for lunch and the leftovers for dinner.

Edit: Oh and obviously no secret eating and snacking. No pudding and sweets. No fizzy sugary drinks. Lots of water and sparkling water if I don't feel like just normal water.

Looking at your diet and training, are you sure you're putting enough into your body, to my uneducated eyes it looks like very little food for the level of activity.

2 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Looking at your diet and training, are you sure you're putting enough into your body, to my uneducated eyes it looks like very little food for the level of activity.

Forgot to add, after rides during the week I'll have a protein shake.. 

I also make sure I never feel hungry.. by chicken salad I mean a proper big bowl of salad with probably one and a half to two chicken breasts in.. definitely enough to stay fueled for training, but clean enough to drop weight at the same time.