Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

4 hours ago, wolver said:

Has anyone else noticed the increase in reckless driving by minibus taxis between Bakoven and Suikerbossie during the week lately?

Either there is an increase in the number of taxis on that route and they're just driving like taxis or the few that have always run that route are just driving more recklessly which is why they are standing out. I have seen 3 very near misses (with cars when overtaking irresponsibly and bikes when they wander into the yellow line) in the last couple weeks.

Living in HB, and driving IN to work 4x days a week, i often see reckless Taxi drivers ‘belting’ back TOWARDS HB, racing to collect the NEXT LOAD of passengers needing to go to town..

Not condoning it - I have had to take evasive action in my minibus more than once, but this seems the reason for their idiotic driving…

Chris

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

…whist i feel sure that the ‘collective’ will get camera footage of the Renault Kwid in the area at that exact time, I feel angry about firstly the not-stopping with what was clearly a MASSIVE impact,

….a-n-d secondly, the fact that the driver cannot be blood-alcohol tests 24/48/72 hours later….

Since SUCH an impact must show massive inattention, and, to me at least, is more than someone say changing a radio station;  I cannot but feel that fleeing the scene, alcohol was involved….

Rant off.

Edited by Zebra
Spelling

7 hours ago, duringd said:

To the four roadies (black and white tops), on your very expensive bikes in the Main Road of Paarl, holding up a line of cars whilst you are riding well abreast of each other. NOT COOL, not cool at all when we are, on a daily basis, delving in to the reasons for the issues between cyclists and motorists. NEE MAN, wees lekker!

How long were you held up? A minute? 3 perhaps? Shame. 

1 hour ago, Zebra said:

…whist i fell sure that the collective will get camera footage of the Renault Kwid in the area at that exact time, I feel angry about firstly the not-stopping with what was clearly a MASSIVE impact,

….a-n-d the fact that the driver cannot be blood-alcohol tests 24/48/72 hours later….

Since SUCH an impact must show massive inattention, and, to me at least, that is more than someone say changing a radio station;  cannot but feel that fleeing the scene, alcohol was involved..

Rant off.

There should be a serious minimum sentence for hit and run !!

8 hours ago, duringd said:

To the four roadies (black and white tops), on your very expensive bikes in the Main Road of Paarl, holding up a line of cars whilst you are riding well abreast of each other. NOT COOL, not cool at all when we are, on a daily basis, delving in to the reasons for the issues between cyclists and motorists. NEE MAN, wees lekker!

Keen to know why the apparent value of the bikes makes any kind of difference?

Not sure if you live in Paarl or were just passing through. As a fairly new addition to Paarl, I have found there are certain sections of Paarl main road where one simply has to take up space to prevent bring doored, people pulling out in front of you or trying to squeeze past pushing into the kerb or parked vehicle etc. Glass on a Saturday or Sunday morning after the previous nights revelling is a big problem, I’ve cut 3 sets of tyres beyond repair…Also you’re just as likely to get stuck behind a slow driver or truck/tractor, of which there are many, particularly on a weekend, so what do you do then? Obviously one doesn’t want to create unnecessary animosity and of course everyone needs to follow the rules of the road. 

15 minutes ago, Murrob said:

Keen to know why the apparent value of the bikes makes any kind of difference?

Not sure if you live in Paarl or were just passing through. As a fairly new addition to Paarl, I have found there are certain sections of Paarl main road where one simply has to take up space to prevent bring doored, people pulling out in front of you or trying to squeeze past pushing into the kerb or parked vehicle etc. Glass on a Saturday or Sunday morning after the previous nights revelling is a big problem, I’ve cut 3 sets of tyres beyond repair…Also you’re just as likely to get stuck behind a slow driver or truck/tractor, of which there are many, particularly on a weekend, so what do you do then? Obviously one doesn’t want to create unnecessary animosity and of course everyone needs to follow the rules of the road. 

Hi there, 

I've lived in Paarl for a good 15 years and I am a cyclist. You also being part of this town will know there are sections with no shoulders, no yellow lines, real narrow sections, especially driving out south. Bikes being ridden 2 and 3 abreast at 11h30 in the morning just ain't really cool. That was what I was trying to get across.

The value of the bikes make no difference in the issue being right or wrong. I referred to the bikes and tried to point out by "valueing" them that these chaps are seasoned riders, know the rules and know the issues we as cyclists have to deal with. Not the chap who has just pulled his 20 year old Raleigh for the next week's casual ride. 

I mean no disrespect to the said riders, I merely ask, knowing the risks involved and the animosity caused, why seasoned guys must still do it, block the road for their benefit.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone here, never the idea.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

How long were you held up? A minute? 3 perhaps? Shame. 

Again, no disrespect meant, read my previous post. In those minutes where the cyclists chose their rights over those of motorists, you could have had a accident involving multiple vehicles and maybe even some of the cyclists, given the narrow road. So yes, sorry you feel offended. Enjoy riding!

Edited by duringd

12 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Me.

I was warming up to meet my training group this morning and was inside the yellow shoulder on the way to Cape Town stadium. Then the TV channel switched and I was flung somewhere and, getting up, I couldn’t see the car. The rear view mirror and fender guard left behind on the scene was off a Renault Kwid, not many of them around.

I am privileged to have an excellent health care network around me and hope to fully recover - very eina right leg, fractured ribs and scrapes and bruises, fortunately my spine and brain intact.

I am a lucky man. Please send healing vibes, Peoples.💛

IMG_5955.jpeg

Terrible this! I’ve never met you, but have always enjoyed your pics and riding spirit that comes through in your posts. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope to see you back at it soon! 

18 minutes ago, duringd said:

Again, no disrespect meant, read my previous post. In those minutes where the cyclists chose their rights over those of motorists, you could have had a accident involving multiple vehicles and maybe even some of the cyclists, given the narrow road. So yes, sorry you feel offended. Enjoy riding!

Offence looks like it's yours..... Narrow road, cyclists riding .... Roll down the window, relax, take in the scenery, wait the 39 seconds until the road widens, indicate, checkmthat it's safe overtake...

That's your responsibility in the situation. 

36 minutes ago, duringd said:

How narrow? Wide enough for there to still be 1m between your car and the cyclists when you pass them? 

22 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Me.

I was warming up to meet my training group this morning and was inside the yellow shoulder on the way to Cape Town stadium. Then the TV channel switched and I was flung somewhere and, getting up, I couldn’t see the car. The rear view mirror and fender guard left behind on the scene was off a Renault Kwid, not many of them around.

I am privileged to have an excellent health care network around me and hope to fully recover - very eina right leg, fractured ribs and scrapes and bruises, fortunately my spine and brain intact.

IMG_5955.jpeg

Man would I love to be part of the party knocking on that drivers front door returning his mirror to him .

22 hours ago, Mamil said:

Oh god @Daleso sorry to hear this. Appalling what's happening.

Every prayer and strong wish for full recovery. So glad all the essential bits are intact.

Wow that's horrific. Hope thr recovery goes well and swiftly.

On 3/3/2024 at 8:25 AM, 'Dale said:

Me.

IMG_5955.jpeg

Holey moley @Dale

Healing vibes are on their way. 

Worst start to the week for a long time. If you feel up to it, please keep us updated on your recovery and any progress in tracking down the perpetrator.

You, and your posts, are one of the highlights on the hub for me.  

edit: there might well be a lot more Kwids around that you bargained on, was the top seller for Renault in this month - and all those cars will be on the road still. https://www.news24.com/life/motoring/news/sa_vehicle_sales/renault-sold-over-2000-cars-in-november-heres-what-south-africans-are-buying-from-them-20211210-2

Edited by Shebeen

11 hours ago, Mamil said:

Offence looks like it's yours..... Narrow road, cyclists riding .... Roll down the window, relax, take in the scenery, wait the 39 seconds until the road widens, indicate, checkmthat it's safe overtake...

That's your responsibility in the situation. 

I dunno, neither you nor I were there so let's not be the judge.

What we do have is a cyclist driving in his car getting irritated by cyclists' behaviour. I see enough people cycling badly that I won't defend all cyclists "just because". I know it's peak argus week, but in my recent anecdotal experience I can count a how bunch of random conversations where people have moaned about cyclists "owning the roads".

I totally get the point of @duringd's post, I don't think you do.

14 hours ago, Zebra said:

…whist i feel sure that the ‘collective’ will get camera footage of the Renault Kwid in the area at that exact time, I feel angry about firstly the not-stopping with what was clearly a MASSIVE impact,

….a-n-d secondly, the fact that the driver cannot be blood-alcohol tests 24/48/72 hours later….

Since SUCH an impact must show massive inattention, and, to me at least, is more than someone say changing a radio station;  I cannot but feel that fleeing the scene, alcohol was involved….

Rant off.

Fleeing the scene should be enough grounds to spend 5 yrs on holiday in one of the public recreational facilities 

but sadly I wake up in South Africa ….