Personal Information Act (POPIA) online store silliness

MORNE

So i'm generally not someone who will entertain your 'newsletter' or spam in my mailbox so I always unsubscribe the moment I get the first email when registering at a new online store or whatever. You know those mails. Maybe you like them...but I don't.

Anyway.....today is deadline day for Personal Information Act (POPIA) - i'm sure you've noticed - and I am finding most if not ALL these flippen local bike stores (amongst others) are using the opportunity to re-add you to a mailing list again and spam you along the lines of "we have to blah blah blah, please unsubscribe or do nothing at all if you want to keep hearing from us". that last bit is what annoys me....you are forcing me to read through your crap...again, follow a link and do something I have already done before.....again.

Don't be a box local bike store.....be lekker.

????

what pisses me off even more is that they've had a year to do this, but they wait until today to go batshit crazy.

and don't get me started on the whatsapp groups.........

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

So i'm generally not someone who will entertain your 'newsletter' or spam in my mailbox so I always unsubscribe the moment I get the first email when registering at a new online store or whatever. You know those mails. Maybe you like them...but I don't.

Anyway.....today is deadline day for Personal Information Act (POPIA) - i'm sure you've noticed - and I am finding most if not ALL these flippen local bike stores (amongst others) are using the opportunity to re-add you to a mailing list again and spam you along the lines of "we have to blah blah blah, please unsubscribe or do nothing at all if you want to keep hearing from us". that last bit is what annoys me....you are forcing me to read through your crap...again, follow a link and do something I have already done before.....again.

Don't be a box local bike store.....be lekker.

????

deadline was yesterday actually!

but ja. 

this will be the biggest waste of time, unenforceable

3 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

Netflorist is ****** 

they don't have my details... lifechoices!!

6 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

deadline was yesterday actually!

but ja. 

this will be the biggest waste of time, unenforceable

It is in "theory" going to be a self funding department ie survive based on fines they generate. Wait for those fun and games!

35 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

they don't have my details... lifechoices!!

It wasn’t my choice that they had mine either.

Hopefully now One Deal a Day will finally pissoff out of my life. They got my deets somewhere and have been annoying me ever since. No amount of unsubscribing mattered to them previously. Lets see if this sticks.

The WA groups are special.

the funniest was, the chairman of our body corporate, who thankfully did not create a group for announcements, but rather a broadcast list, and she still sent the generic whatsapp message to the list.

anyhoo…this is always worth a mention:

Do Not Contact Me

register above ( renew every 3 years) and you will receive a lot less spam calls and mails ( from reputable establishments) the Discovery intermediaries and Fly by night investment firms will obtain your info illegally and still contact you.

I have received a mail, twice now from BMW SA, saying “ you may have accidentally unsubscribed” or such BS, please confirm your choice, pretty much the same as you experience Morne.

57 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

I have received a mail, twice now from BMW SA, saying “ you may have accidentally unsubscribed” or such BS, please confirm your choice, pretty much the same as you experience Morne.

it's like they just took their mailing lists...decided meh..screw it: /activate all/send

like I alluded to, it's not like I haven't unsubscribed before, thats how I keep my mailboxes clean....they are seemingly all using this opportunity to throw some chit against the wall to see what sticks.

Just another *&^** law and red tape galore If you don't want to get those just unsubscribe 

If they dont then thats a different matter but what can you do about it anyway in a country which copy all the ridiculous EU  laws but here there is no-one to police it - very silly.

That's why I have a "junk"email account, and another one for the stuff that is important.

The problem is that people at companies I consider important, eg. Discovery, feel they too need to spam you with anything and everything.

you know what's even more ridiculous.... is that the email account that you send your application forms to, to get certified as the privacy officer for your company.... seems to be hacked.... we just had 1 of our websites hacked 3 hours after sending the form in????... coincidence???? no chance

POPIA IS NOT POPIA COMPLIANT ???? how ironic could you get...it's so maddening it's hilarious  ....

Edited by Matthew du preez