Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

3 hours ago, SoloCyclist said:

Well here are a few examples

1. Sales on items, not overcharging everything I saw last night could be bought online cheaper

2. Not selling old un-used stock that no one wants (all ex covid stock)

3. Its an "expo" which means exhibition....there was nothing on show ? Expo what's new to cycling etc.

However the organizers also need to look at their fees for space probably too expensive and puts off potential stall holders from taking spaces

Wondering if we went to the same expo ?

DISCLAIMER - my first CTCT expo, been to various others though.

TENGTOOLS - decent discount on tools.  Bought some very nice tools that I have not seen at other tools suppliers.

Bought some chain lube for 55% of what I paid at the LBS last week.  AND got two small refill bottle free to take on rides.  So that was about a 60% discount on the typical LBS prices.

Nashua is the prime sponsor and has some very interesting exhibits ... many NOT directly cycling related, i.e. their PV display .... still pertinent to the times we live in, and some handy information.

CIOVITA - I got to speak to somebody about my new bib issues ...

Couple of displays of non-main stream bikes.

The one "bike shop" stall was way too busy so I walked past.

Got details of a local cycling clothing manufacturer, and a store where we can actually try on clothing.  They even have kids and adult sizes with matching graphics, only Anatomic used to do that locally.  (As much as I LOVE Anatomic, I wont buy cycling clothing without trying it on)

Got contact details from Holdfast of a local LBS that can supply their parts.  (Had a good laugh about the fact that I live in Bellville, but buy their parts at King Cycles in Worcester)

And YES, I did the newby thing, and bought a CTCT2022 T-shirt. :clap:

LAYOUT of the exhibits was STRANGE to say the least ....

My only almost gripe .... they did not have the CTCT2022 cycling top in my size .... I saw "almost", as I really dont like BLACK tops.

EDIT - actually tried to set up a work inspection close to the stadium this morning .... to be in the area to pop in to buy the CTCT2022 cycling top .... alas, got tied up in the office .....

Edited by ChrisF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More or less decided I'm going to evaluate dampness at 8am. If it's not too drenched I might mooch the gravel bike to the start and treat it as a party ride including coffee and maybe breakfast.

If there's someone struggling up a hill I might return the favour of all the pushes I've benefitted from over the years 

It's just not worth risking a fall in the bunch in slippery conditions for what will end up being way slower than a PB. Ruin all my big plans and events for the coming months.

I'd rather ride in the damp/wet than in howling wind and scorching heat.

Already got my "wet weather gear" out and ready.  Only thing to decide on now is whether to fit the 40c Gravel tires, or the 40c Slicks. 

1 hour ago, K20Champ said:

any conditions will be better than a few years ago, Stellenbosch race and few months ago Winelands race🌧️

I remember that Stellenbosch race... Like a drowned rat I was. 

6 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I hope the rain is not too bad. I’m using carbon rims with carbon brakes. Not the best combo for wet weather.

For the lols?

What kit will you be wearing, I'd like to steer well clear!

51 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Already got my "wet weather gear" out and ready.  Only thing to decide on now is whether to fit the 40c Gravel tires, or the 40c Slicks. 

Most times I'd agree with you on this but not fun ride world Champs. Massive bunches and every oke wanted to win and willing to do dumb *** to stay ahead makes this ride a nightmare in rain. 

I'll make call Sunday morning whether it's going to be worth it.

#thatsjustme 

23 minutes ago, babse said:

Most times I'd agree with you on this but not fun ride world Champs. Massive bunches and every oke wanted to win and willing to do dumb *** to stay ahead makes this ride a nightmare in rain. 

I'll make call Sunday morning whether it's going to be worth it.

#thatsjustme 

In my almost two decades the experience has been the opposite. Okes take risks when a PB is on the cards. When it's windy or rainy there are still crashes, but less silly crashes. 🤷‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, Wannabe said:

People were panic buying wet wether road tires earlier today when I went to go get wetlube lol

I'm considering dropping a few groups to maybe find a "gap" in the weather.

Anyone looked into this much or am I over thinking it?

According to my 2 seconds of research, the "optimal" start time may be to start just before 8am.

The sacrifice would obviously be, in general, a slower group... but maybe others are also considering this and there'd be a decent group of leaders to follow in the group?

I know this may be the time to rather just enjoy the ride but I'm also trying to make the best of a bad situation... not to win the race.

Guys, they said to remember the following:

1. Helmet

2. Race Number

3. Timing chip

4. Number Board

5. Mask

Is the number board in the race pack with the race number?

4 minutes ago, Pieterlab1 said:

Guys, they said to remember the following:

1. Helmet

2. Race Number

3. Timing chip

4. Number Board

5. Mask

Is the number board in the race pack with the race number?

Yea, I got the race number, number board, cable ties, & the sticker you attach to the number board in my race envelope.

28 minutes ago, Cutney said:

I'm considering dropping a few groups to maybe find a "gap" in the weather.

Anyone looked into this much or am I over thinking it?

According to my 2 seconds of research, the "optimal" start time may be to start just before 8am.

The sacrifice would obviously be, in general, a slower group... but maybe others are also considering this and there'd be a decent group of leaders to follow in the group?

I know this may be the time to rather just enjoy the ride but I'm also trying to make the best of a bad situation... not to win the race.

At 8 it's probably still a bunch and arguably more dangerous than the earlier groups cos riders less experienced maybe??

If I drop down I'm gonna start at 9 or 9.30 and ride with the back markers and see if I can make some friends