Steel frame repair

RocknRolla

I hammered my steel frame into the repair section of the DIY isle, while trying to extract a stuck seatpost.

Does the hub oracle have a recommendation of steel frame repair in JHB that is reputable?

I am fully aware of Dave mercer in CT, however, I do think it may be like asking an F1 mechanic to change the oil on a Fiat. 
Hopefully it’s only a small braise required, but I am skilled in Wood, and my knowledge of metallurgy, is on par with my fear of the invisible magic that is electricity.

If this post does not make sense, I apologise, Klein saterdag has gotten the better of me.

Do you have some photos to share? Some places are easier to fix than others.

For steel frame, it is possible to do at home with an arc welder IF you know what you are doing.

For getting someone to do it I would really recommend looking at engineering shops with Coded welders. They normally have decent welding facilities. Just make sure that they are using something like TIG welders (skill required on TIG welders is a bit higher than on others like ARC and MIG and you generally get better quality welding from them.

After a weld repair it really helps if you dress the weld lightly with something like a flapper disc on baby grinder. Just to smooth out the surface. Welded repairs are more prone to start cracking again if there are local notches or surface defects. And keep an eye on it -weld repair should only be seen as temporary fixes.

Definitely just ask them to weld a sample for you before touching the bike. You do not want to have someone show you they cant really weld on you bike frame.

I once worked with a guy who tore up the tin foil his lunch was packed in and welded them back together.

There used to be a place in Centurion called tigco tech welding. He welded up a motorbike swingarm and a couple of years ago for me. Really was quality welding.

32 minutes ago, Gerhard765 said:

Do you have some photos to share? Some places are easier to fix than others.

For steel frame, it is possible to do at home with an arc welder IF you know what you are doing.

For getting someone to do it I would really recommend looking at engineering shops with Coded welders. They normally have decent welding facilities. Just make sure that they are using something like TIG welders (skill required on TIG welders is a bit higher than on others like ARC and MIG and you generally get better quality welding from them.

After a weld repair it really helps if you dress the weld lightly with something like a flapper disc on baby grinder. Just to smooth out the surface. Welded repairs are more prone to start cracking again if there are local notches or surface defects. And keep an eye on it -weld repair should only be seen as temporary fixes.

Definitely just ask them to weld a sample for you before touching the bike. You do not want to have someone show you they cant really weld on you bike frame.

I once worked with a guy who tore up the tin foil his lunch was packed in and welded them back together.

Touching on from what you are saying, and pending just were the problem area is ... if it is a section of tube that can not be cut, prepared and cleaned for a good weld, would brass brazing not maybe be the better solution as the braze gets into any little cracks and pits when being brazed?

It also looks cool afterwards :P

Edited by Hairy

13 hours ago, Hairy said:

Touching on from what you are saying, and pending just were the problem area is ... if it is a section of tube that can not be cut, prepared and cleaned for a good weld, would brass brazing not maybe be the better solution as the braze gets into any little cracks and pits when being brazed?

It also looks cool afterwards :P

Hairy , I am not familiar with brazing as a structural joint. Not saying it cant work, i just have no experience with it. Worthwhile maybe trying it for a start as welding can still be a second option if the brazing is insufficient?

10 hours ago, Gerhard765 said:

Hairy , I am not familiar with brazing as a structural joint. Not saying it cant work, i just have no experience with it. Worthwhile maybe trying it for a start as welding can still be a second option if the brazing is insufficient?

Paul Brodie does some nice braze work to frames

And then another legend, Tom Ritchey

1 hour ago, Gerhard765 said:

Thanks for sharing.

If you start delving into their channels it becomes a fabrication rabbit hole that leads you to wonderland ....... and you do not even have to be called Alice, because after all, "Who the F%^$ is Alice"

Thanks for the replies.

I dont have photo's at this stage. I will try and get some. The weld is not required on a join or existing braise or weld, it's on the seat tube kinda 10 to 15cm from where the seatpost inserts.

I'm hoping a simple braise will do the trick.  

1 hour ago, RocknRolla said:

Thanks for the replies.

I dont have photo's at this stage. I will try and get some. The weld is not required on a join or existing braise or weld, it's on the seat tube kinda 10 to 15cm from where the seatpost inserts.

I'm hoping a simple braise will do the trick.  

PITCHA's or it never happened 

Thank you Steven, a fountain of knowledge as always. 
I think these guys may be exactly what I’m looking for. 

8 hours ago, Hairy said:

If you start delving into their channels it becomes a fabrication rabbit hole that leads you to wonderland ....... and you do not even have to be called Alice, because after all, "Who the F%^$ is Alice"

I see your Alice, and raise you

My 2 maintenance guys, when they were learning to weld, the guy teaching them cut Coke cans in half and told them that when they can weld the can together again, then they can weld. They both eventually were able to complete the task. 

The guy who taught them, his work is next level.  He reworked the plumbing on a twin turbo Porsche that the Porsche Engineers said would not be possible. 

Having said all of that, if you don’t come right with Steve’s guy, drop me a DM, I’ll give you a number!