Transbaviaans 2022

DKS

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, BottelaryHillBuddy said:

Any recommendations for a quality rain jacket and where to buy in Cape Town for the repeat?

Regardless if you have the best waterproof jacket or not, If it rains on the morning don’t do it. I tell everyone that, hell I even told myself that after Around The Clay Pot yet there I was lining up at Trans Baviaans in the pouring rain…again 🤦🏼‍♀️(Female Emoji to stick to the Karen Theme 😜)

8 hours ago, BottelaryHillBuddy said:

Any recommendations for a quality rain jacket and where to buy in Cape Town for the repeat?

Rapid Sports in Cape Town ... 

Will also be listening for any better recommendations

8 hours ago, BottelaryHillBuddy said:

They used to be free !

image.png.f2127772a23225dccfc107bb96db0c37.png

I think Mac in a Sac, is about the cheapest and is properly waterproof, you will need to google and call ahead to make sure place you are buying from has stock.

I trust this item in much worse than you are likely to experience in a one day event and its the same one that goes in my back pocket if I know I will get drenched riding around the peninsula. You can spend multiples more and it might be slightly lighter and slimmer fit, but honestly I cant fault the MiaS for being effective, looks good and doesnt break the bank.

https://www.trappers.co.za/collections/mens-rain-jackets/products/mac-in-a-sac-jacket-origin-waterproof

Well done to everyone who finished, must have been moebi. 

lots of “no bad weather, only bad gear” talk but the reality is that most upcountry cyclists don't own the gear for cold and wet because 99.99% of their riding doesn’t happen in those conditions, and it is tough to justify spending R10k on a full Aquaman suit you use once a year. 

3 minutes ago, _David_ said:

Lol... lots of tough guys on the hub as always.

Fortunately if you have the correct gear you do NOT NEED TO BE TOUGH. That is the point. Ironic that.

Hi All,

Seems I missed quite a few "dick"-y comments 🤣 - nothing personal - but come now allow each person his or her opinion without throwing immature comments. First and foremost kudos to all who finished - I would love to shake every hand as you deserve more than just a medal! So here my little race report ...

Despite being very firm upfront that I will not start the race if it rains...sigh...
Arrived Friday, went to registration and despite chilly temps was actually a rather beautiful day! Super hyped and set to race. Weather report said small amount of rain predicted so all looked positive. Come Saturday woke up in Uniondale - again COLD but not raining. Whoop whoop! On the way to Willowmore the drizzle started and ramped up quite a bit as we hit Willowmore. I know what my view was but come now I am here so let's do it! Started with my son at around 630AM. It was BLOODY cold but assumed riding will help. The rain was a lot more than drizzle. Within 8km we started seeing riders riding back to Willowmore looking pretty bad! With 10km despite my 4 layers of clothes I was wet to the bone and stopped to have a team chat whether we should continue. After lubing the chain we continued. At 20km I was unable to shift gears, could not move my fingers, had no idea if I had any feet and was shaking like a professional rapper! We stopped at a medic who attended to people already hyperthermic and begging to use the quad bike exhaust to get some heat. I chatted to the medic and he said continuing in his personal opinion is a VERY BAD IDEA! It was -2 degrees and people reported sleet/ice rain as you enter the Kloof. So at 25km I pulled the plug and turned around. More and more people joined us. Again caught up with a marshal who said they are  evacuating people (if certain people find this word offensive - sorry for you!!). Marshal assessed me , and stated I am close to hyperthermic too but only 2km from Willowmore. Was the hardest 25km ride back ever. In town the locals became God sent angels! Fires popped up everywhere and we took shelter in a coffee shop. Soon we were surrounded  by a whole lot of cyclists covered in space blankets, some literally delirious with no sense of his/her surroundings. My wife had to drive back from Jeffreys and as she entered Willowmore caught up with ambulances bringing people back. There were so many they were told to leave their bikes next to the road, sweeper vehicles will go and get bikes during the day. One guy paid a local farmer R1000 to bring them back with his bakkie. 

So to all these "heroes" who wants to call me a Karen - thank you and I accept the title with pride. I am super impressed and have a ton of respect for you if you finished. But with my son I felt I made the right call and I was simply in no shape to continue. My son even offered to take off some of his his clothes and give it to me! Talk about being a hero - that is a hero! Cannot be prouder of him! To each and every rider of the 244 teams (53%) that like me who abandoned - you still have my respect. I will not criticize you! I will not call you a Karen! I will not ask you to drink cement! I will walk up to you, call you a fellow cyclist that like me decided sanity is worth more than stupidity! If that makes me unworthy of being a MTBer in some eyes - well to you I say: See you at the next race where I will still enjoy it as much as you do - despite me giving up on the Baviaans this weekend! 

Edited by pedal menace

12 minutes ago, Dicky DQ said:

Fortunately if you have the correct gear you do NOT NEED TO BE TOUGH. That is the point. Ironic that.

By "tough guy" I was referring to the name calling and belittling.

31 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

With 10km despite my 4 layers of clothes I was wet to the bone

I am genuinely sorry your experience was a poor one - hopefully nothing I have said makes one believe that anyone who arrives for a bike race deserves an expensive horrible experience.

I have tried to be constructive in saying that decent wet and cold weather gear will to some extent solve the issue.

Would you be prepared to elaborate on what the 4 layers were that you were wearing? Was the top one waterproof? 

For those thinking you need to spend anywhere near R10k on kit, that's just not necessary.

Here's a suggestion:

MacinaSac Waterproof jacket - essential - less than R1000

Reef neoprene gloves and socks - less than R1000

Buff for your neck and head - you have one lying around.

If you have very thin bibs, use 2 pairs at the same time ( yes it works and the only looks you will get are those of envy - for various reasons).

4 minutes ago, sias said:

Come on dickyboy - call pedal menace a karen to his face. I have some riders in potch who will also appreciate if you do it to their face, then you can take it from there.

ok, clearly I am on the wrong forum

Eish peoples, what can I say…? The “Race” was truly a special event for me this year, never mind how crap the conditions were! We aimed to gun it as a 4 man, but had to make do with 3 when one of our team fell ill two weeks before. Cold, wet and muddy, yes, but with the right team, the miles flew by… Ok, not exactly, but with jokes and awesome company, you should be able to finish this event! However, if you (or any of your team for that matter) have any reservations as to your level of fitness, it will be a long day out! A big thank you to my team, Jannie Goosen and Willem Mouton! You guys made this a memorable event and without each of you, this would not have been possible! Prep was spot on and it all came together on the day! Thanks also to EcoBound and the locals who all chipped in to assist those in need. “Trans Baviaans – Where team spirit gets a whole new meaning” rang true for this event, for sure! As someone wise once said: “hierdie bultjie…. maak my nou net mooi niks”! #Flatout!

IMG-20220813-WA0069.jpg

18 minutes ago, tubed said:

Would you be prepared to elaborate on what the 4 layers were that you were wearing? Was the top one waterproof? 

Hey Tubed. With regards to my clothing I had:

1. Second skin (normal Maxed vest I bought at Mr Price (I always wear this in cold conditions, and works perfectly)

2. Cycling Shirt

3. Gillet (wind jammer)

4. First Ascent Rain Jacket - at least I thought it was as it kept the water out for a little while ONLY. 

5. Arm warmers

6. Normal MTB gloves with inners in - perfect for when it is cold BUT DRY

7. Buff 

8. Leg warmers

9. Shoes with toe caps - worked for a little while

I think the deal breaker was not as much the cold - I think I was correctly dressed - sort of - but the wet weather combined with the wind was something I (and likely many others) were not 100% geared for. Not sure what more I could have done - but  guess black bags/ponchos - better rain jacket and better gloves may have helped. But the 244 other teams also had it way wrong  🤣