Cycling coach

stefo

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new to cycling, but have in the past played a lot of sport. I'm looking to structure my training to get the best possible time for the Cape Town Cycle Tour. 

What are some tips & tricks which you followed along your cycling journey? Did anyone assist you with building out a programme? 

I do Mtb rides 2-3 times a week, about 15kg overweight and on a decently cheap roadbike and popped out a 3:30 earlier this year, honestly, just ride, a lot.

1 hour ago, stefo said:

I'm new to cycling, but have in the past played a lot of sport. I'm looking to structure my training to get the best possible time for the Cape Town Cycle Tour. 

What are some tips & tricks which you followed along your cycling journey? Did anyone assist you with building out a programme? 

Yes - sign up for Trainerroad for proper training programs, or if you into gaming you can use ZWIFT as well and then get a strava profile going and then link it to intervals.icu to analyze your progress. 

Sorted - No coach needed

Why would you send a training plan through to someone without finding out their needs first?
Or am I jumping the gun and assuming it's a cookie cutter training plan?

TrainerRoad, while fairly good, is nowhere near as good as getting a coach.
Getting a coach is one of the best upgrades one can get. IMO

On 12/11/2021 at 2:49 PM, Frosty said:

Why would you send a training plan through to someone without finding out their needs first?
Or am I jumping the gun and assuming it's a cookie cutter training plan?

TrainerRoad, while fairly good, is nowhere near as good as getting a coach.
Getting a coach is one of the best upgrades one can get. IMO

Well you get coaches and then you get coaches - Maybe if you wanna mix it in the pro peloton or racing VETS, other than that I honestly cannot see where a coach can deliver better value for money than TR or ZWIFT training sessions for us mere mortals. Couple of my mates signed up a coach for Sani2C, turns out all the coach was doing was using Intervals.icu and sending them cookie cutter training sessions and charging them an arm and a leg.

TR Adaptive training with a plan from their plan builder + Intervals.icu & a proper diet plan from a dietician and you be good to go.

1 hour ago, madmarc said:

Well you get coaches and then you get coaches - Maybe if you wanna mix it in the pro peloton or racing VETS, other than that I honestly cannot see where a coach can deliver better value for money than TR or ZWIFT training sessions for us mere mortals. Couple of my mates signed up a coach for Sani2C, turns out all the coach was doing was using Intervals.icu and sending them cookie cutter training sessions and charging them an arm and a leg.

TR Adaptive training with a plan from their plan builder + Intervals.icu & a proper diet plan from a dietician and you be good to go.

That depends…

ifyou can handle the high fatigue TR sweet spot based plans deliver and know how to manage your ATL then fine. Most people do not.

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

That depends…

Bifyou can handle the high fatigue TR sweet spot based plans deliver and know how to manage your ATL then fine. Most people do not.

This…

and the eventual “plateau” that many find themselves in, after thinking they know all the answers.

Coaches are great - best and most efficient way to achieve your goals.

That said - they're kinda optional until club/provincial level - after that they're not negotiable.

Horses for courses and all that. 

If you are new to cycling, you will find great progress by using trainer road and cookie cutter training programs, you will find the same by riding your bike lots.

if you want to train in the correct way, while managing training stress and fatigue, and understanding when to take it easy, as well as what it means to take it easy, a coach will help you lots. 

There are also coaches, and there are people who call themselves coaches with no real qualifications. Please research properly, an ex pro does not equate to a good cycling coach. 

11 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

That depends…

ifyou can handle the high fatigue TR sweet spot based plans deliver and know how to manage your ATL then fine. Most people do not.

Ja. Managing work and life and TR isn't practical for most enthusiast cyclists I think. After a short love affair in which I learned a fair bit I broke up with TR as it was just too intense. 

I like TR it is a great platform with excellent plans especially now with the adaptive training and machine learning. But a coach is worth more than just workouts and training structure. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Edited by _David_

I often get flack for this but unless you're actually getting out and riding consistently week after week and then find you're needing something more get a coach or a training plan or whatever ... Don't for a minute think that getting any of these will motivate you to go out and ride, yes they will for a week or 2 while you contemplate the money you've spent but it doesn't last

There are many training plans lying gathering dust

Yes I'm old and grumpy and self isolating so don't mind me 😜

7 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I often get flack for this but unless you're actually getting out and riding consistently week after week and then find you're needing something more get a coach or a training plan or whatever ... Don't for a minute think that getting any of these will motivate you to go out and ride, yes they will for a week or 2 while you contemplate the money you've spent but it doesn't last

There are many training plans lying gathering dust

Yes I'm old and grumpy and self isolating so don't mind me 😜

That has nothing to do with your self isolating 🙄