Cycling coach

stefo

I do love a good hubdebate:

You discover basic interval training so coaches are a waste of money.

You're pro coaching - then you must be a coach. Obviously.

Coaching is only for rich people.

Basically you've tried Chocolate Ice Cream and swear blind it's better than Vanilla. You've never tired Vanilla Ice Cream but that doesn't matter.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Basically you've tried Chocolate Ice Cream and swear blind it's better than Vanilla. You've never tired Vanilla Ice Cream but that doesn't matter.

True story.

I would love to charge the rates that some coaches charge, but I’m still an apprentice/learner coach. 

33 minutes ago, Eldron said:

you've tried Chocolate Ice Cream and swear blind it's better than Vanilla. You've never tired Vanilla Ice Cream but that doesn't matter.

True story, I think TR is still offering a free trial, open to all new members, risk-free. Give it a try.

Edit: Sorry couldn't help myself it's just a bad joke, not being serious 😂 

Edited by _David_

17 minutes ago, _David_ said:

True story, I think TR is still offering a free trial, open to all new members, risk-free. Give it a try.

Surely one month is not long enough to see meaningful gains from their system 

1 hour ago, _David_ said:

Nay worries.

I'm pretty much a fan of anything that will improve cycling performance. I just find it odd that people have to choose/be right/support their own choice.

Intervals are better than no intervals (that doesn't make coaching/TR useless), a semi personalised program like TR is better than random intervals (or a Zwift FTP booster) but that doesn't render coaches useless, a (good) flesh and blood coach is best - highly personalised with good communication and the ability to make changes at will (but a coach doesn't mean that random intervals and TR programs are useless to people without coaches).

Story of human beings I guess.

I agree 100%. I obviously need to work on my delivery.

On 12/13/2021 at 7:49 AM, _David_ said:

I like TR it is a great platform with excellent plans especially now with the adaptive training and machine learning. But a coach is worth more than just workouts and training structure. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

10 hours ago, _David_ said:

Don't think anybody is saying there is anything wrong with getting a coach just that there are cheaper alternatives. Not everybody can afford to pay a golf pro R400 a hour 🙂

8 hours ago, _David_ said:

Like I said earlier nothing wrong with getting a coach that is first price but if you can't afford one there are cheaper alternatives.

Are you guys still deciding whether a coach is worth it.

I'd say yes. Regardless. Look at Chelsea. Strong squad, really great moments under Lampard, but as soon as they got in a top level coach - boom! Champions league winners and almost unbeatable for 6 months. 

Having a good coach means experience, harvested real time data applied personally and customised to the client. A good coach definitely makes a difference.

The thing is, a lot of guys here are slightly better than average hackers. So a coach is NOT the bottle neck, so they will see improvements using automated programs because there is so much room for improvement.

As soon as those margins start getting smaller, then having someone who can tailor your program to your goals properly is magic.

I will never have a coach as I am perfectly happy being a hacker. I think though that if cycling 'performance' is important to you, then a good coach beats any automated system hands down, even if you claim to understand the metrics and read the data.

5 hours ago, Eldron said:

This whole discussion is tired vanilla 

4 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

In SA, Everyone thinks they a coach. 

So many, we started exporting coaches ... 😋

Sorry John, need Comic Sans on Android

Oooo damn .... just got sucked into this ....

What type of coach are we talking about ?

1.  Skills coach ?  

2. Fitness/Training/Race strategy... ?

3. Food/Drinks .... 

Most of the posters are are somewhere along these three journeys ...  very few who actually truly can see the big picture for each rider like John can.  When you dont know where you are on that journey, how do you know which one of the cookie-cutter-google answers apply .....

A good coach is WORTH his/her fee.

A bad coach .... uhm no ...