Cycling coach

stefo

14 hours ago, BigDL said:

I disagree. I have no expectation of being on a podium anytime soon (except maybe in the Big DL ride by myself around my field Christmas spectacular), but have always been poorly prepared for events in the past, resulting in me suffering more and enjoying less. I am considering a coach again in the new year to prepare for an as yet undecided event, not so I can win, but just so I can enjoy it and do as well as I am able to and to hold me accountable to prioritising my training commitments over all the other stuff life brings. 

I suppose that the equivalent is an average golfer going for sessions with a pro, not because he or she wants to win the masters, but just because he or she wants to improve their own game a bit. 

Don't think anybody is saying there is anything wrong with getting a coach just that there are cheaper alternatives. Not everybody can afford to pay a golf pro R400 a hour 🙂

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One can get coaching at any level of training, whether it is for lifestyle or competitive reasons.

The accountability and responsibility stakes of being coached can be highly motivating, boosts directionality and progress in one’s sport.

Many athletes experience growth in capabilities and capacity and unlock goals never dreamt of before (the slow fat one starts enters a coaching cycle and 6 months later now aims for the Epic)

31 minutes ago, _David_ said:

Don't think anybody is saying there is anything wrong with getting a coach just that there are cheaper alternatives. Not everybody can afford to pay a golf pro R400 a hour 🙂

well ya there are but just like when you feeling ill you can google the symptoms and get some fairly good info or you can go see your GP at R400 a consult and get reliable diagnosis that gets you on your way back to health

18 hours ago, Christie said:

My 2c:

I had great success in 🤬 myself up. Had motivation, dedication and discipline, went through many overtrained and under feuled phases which all ended in illness and/or injury. I never got the balance right, needed a coach to mangage it.

The same here.

Many years back around 2009 training stress and work stress left me injured and ill.

Completely fell apart in my A race goal for the season and only after the race was diagnosed with shingles and stress fracture. The week before the race awake at night in a cold sweat, could not breath and the stress of getting the "Timing" right took its toll.

Same stress fracture that took Henri out of Olympics.

Took 2010 off completely and started 2011 with a coach and doing a bit of weight training, best decision ever!

Will always advise to get a coach!!

Edited by DJuice

57 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

well ya there are but just like when you feeling ill you can google the symptoms and get some fairly good info or you can go see your GP at R400 a consult and get reliable diagnosis that gets you on your way back to health

Hahaha, lucky to get a GP to only charge you 400 bucks. Are you a coach by any chance?

Edited by _David_

13 minutes ago, _David_ said:

Hahaha, lucky to get a GP to only charge you 400 bucks. Are you a coach by any chance?

I do coach people and myself. I use other coaches to keep myself on track. 
coaching is a lot more than placing workouts on a calendar. It’s about helping an athlete set realistic goals , planning how to achieve those and guiding them through the inevitable hiccups to get them to the goal. Along the way an attentive client will learn how their body responds to stress and load, and maybe will be in a better position to do much of the above for self. 
I started out just following a plan but it didn’t work for me because as I became fatigued I didn’t know how to fix it. So courses, books and learning from coaches  set me up on a path that has delivered very consistent results over the last four seasons, despite many set backs. 

I will always advocate for coaches, especially one that sees through the clients BS and holds them accountable to their goals. Otherwise everyone’s time is being wasted and buying a generic plan is better value 

Like I said earlier nothing wrong with getting a coach that is first price but if you can't afford one there are cheaper alternatives.

Edited by _David_

Just now, _David_ said:

Like I said earlier nothing wrong with getting a coach - that is first price but if you can't afford one there are cheaper alternatives.

For sure, at the end of the day a coach is not guarantee of success, only commitment and discipline can deliver that

2 hours ago, 'Dale said:

One can get coaching at any level of training, whether it is for lifestyle or competitive reasons.

The accountability and responsibility stakes of being coached can be highly motivating, boosts directionality and progress in one’s sport.

Many athletes experience growth in capabilities and capacity and unlock goals never dreamt of before (the slow fat one starts enters a coaching cycle and 6 months later now aims for the Epic)

cycling coaching by the right person and the right approach is a great experience....

agree with your comments above...its a great tool

Can't believe no one on here has mentioned Dylan Johnson, his stuff is science backed and simple as anything. He also calls both zwift and tr on a lot of their structured workouts. 

Like several people have pointed out there is A LOT of good material out there that one can find with a bit of research. 

14 minutes ago, Sitting@89 said:

Can't believe no one on here has mentioned Dylan Johnson, his stuff is science backed and simple as anything. He also calls both zwift and tr on a lot of their structured workouts. 

Like several people have pointed out there is A LOT of good material out there that one can find with a bit of research. 

great bloke and really insightful. Young but he's really passionate and very very knowledgable. Also has the result to back up his talk. Walks the talk basically. 

22 minutes ago, Sitting@89 said:

👍  I have seen this video but it is old. About 5 months ago TR revamped all there plans and added polarized plans.

1 hour ago, _David_ said:

👍  I have seen this video but it is old. About 5 months ago TR revamped all there plans and added polarized plans.

There is also this new Adaptive Training by Trainerroad a game changer in so far as online coaching is concern, it uses AI and it's far better than generic plans because it adapts your plan as you do the workouts,almost similar to what garmin 1030plus do with their daily suggested workouts. So basically there are many ways to kill a Cat... coaching is but 1 at a premium price then others follow.

24 minutes ago, Job said:

There is also this new Adaptive Training by Trainerroad a game changer in so far as online coaching is concern, it uses AI and it's far better than generic plans because it adapts your plan as you do the workouts,almost similar to what garmin 1030plus do with their daily suggested workouts. So basically there are many ways to kill a Cat... coaching is but 1 at a premium price then others follow.

And Ai can be pretty good as long as you feed it the appropriate information. Sleep monitors, O2 sensors and even body condition monitors all help feed it fairly accurate information that many people don't like to share with a coach.  

But at the end of the day, some peeps still need that voice over the phone at 5:10am yelling at them to get out of bed and go do the workout.

Some peeps can't afford the R25K in wearable tech + the TR subscription but they can afford R750 -R 1500 per month to handle all the tech for them. 

There's enough place for everyone and all sorts but at the end of the day what results does the rider want to achieve? 

Then how do they want to achieve it and how much tme can they dedicate to achieving that...?

Then there's those that will just Hangbal at the back of the group and wait for Pure Savage to pull them to a sub 3 and celebrate like it was their achievement...

different strokes