Cycling coach

stefo

Did I miss the post that says the OP has a smart trainer or Power Meter?

Or are the suggestions that he buys one or the other in order to benefit from a 'free' coaching experience?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was considering the coach option for a while. I have completed one Zwift training program (8 week crit crusher) and there was definitely a huge improvement. I have now started another program (12 week FTP builder) and 3 weeks in and already feeling a difference. I personally think the only difference between a coach and TR or Zwift is self discipline. Also, one should implement of the bike training as well for example running, weight training etc... If you lack motivation and need someone to hold your hand, get a coach, if not and you comfortable managing yourself, any interval training will do. 

10 minutes ago, Edereese said:

I was considering the coach option for a while. I have completed one Zwift training program (8 week crit crusher) and there was definitely a huge improvement. I have now started another program (12 week FTP builder) and 3 weeks in and already feeling a difference. I personally think the only difference between a coach and TR or Zwift is self discipline. Also, one should implement of the bike training as well for example running, weight training etc... If you lack motivation and need someone to hold your hand, get a coach, if not and you comfortable managing yourself, any interval training will do. 

A (good) coach is waaaay better that a cut'n'paste program. They can prepare you for specific events - ensure you don't over train, take specifics into account etc.

Interval training is better than no interval training but a coach will definitely do more for you than random interval training.

It certainly did for me. Both running and cycling.

I would only consider a coach if I was a 16 y/o with an aim of turning Pro or if I feel I have a potential to win the Vet races because at least there is some compensation there. As an ordinary man who has a 7am-10pm job I see no need for anyone on the same boat as myself to get a coach...get Zwift or Trainerroad adaptation plans are very good and much better now and less taxing on the body than previously. For now anyone with a target of a 3-4w/kg can achieve that with Zwift, TR and group rides. 

10 minutes ago, Eldron said:

A (good) coach is waaaay better that a cut'n'paste program. They can prepare you for specific events - ensure you don't over train, take specifics into account etc.

Interval training is better than no interval training but a coach will definitely do more for you than random interval training.

It certainly did for me. Both running and cycling.

With technology you have access to all of the above. To give an example, previously here was a thread about HRV and understanding how it works, I still don't, but with Garmin body battery takes your current bpm and HRV into account and gives you a percentage of what your battery is which is good enough for me. I have also looked at coaching plans from friends of mine and there's not really much of a difference to what zwift offers. The important part is to set a goal and aim to achieve it. 

2 minutes ago, Edereese said:

With technology you have access to all of the above. To give an example, previously here was a thread about HRV and understanding how it works, I still don't, but with Garmin body battery takes your current bpm and HRV into account and gives you a percentage of what your battery is which is good enough for me. I have also looked at coaching plans from friends of mine and there's not really much of a difference to what zwift offers. The important part is to set a goal and aim to achieve it. 

Yesterday I had a busy day and the body battery is what helps get through. Played a round of golf the morning, interval session the evening and dropped my battery to about 36 percent. Decent sleep and I’m back up to 80, rest day today and tomorrow I carry on. Again, this is what I feel works for me and paying someone to tell me something similar is not on, just my personal opinion. 

1783E05C-F08F-485F-AD2E-96975D79B318.jpeg

76FF6AA1-BA93-4AF6-B561-33B0E825AFBD.jpeg

92536165-F7DD-48B2-9943-4627150A0863.jpeg

1 minute ago, Edereese said:

Sure but without having tried both you can't really compare can you?

I've done both and a physical coach has outperformed a machine coach everytime.

If you're just looking for a performance boost then sure almost any online program will help but if you want to perform at national,/euro/world level and want to peak for specific events then a physical coach is the best option.

2 minutes ago, Eldron said:

If you're just looking for a performance boost then sure almost any online program will help but if you want to perform at national,/euro/world level and want to peak for specific events then a physical coach is the best option.

Maybe to many that think they're at that level but aren't #EkSeMaarNet

4 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Me, I'm just looking for local performance to enjoy the Cape Town Cycle Tour :)

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Did I miss the post that says the OP has a smart trainer or Power Meter?

Or are the suggestions that he buys one or the other in order to benefit from a 'free' coaching experience?

not sure if this is supposed to be in Comic sans or not..

although a PM makes it easier to gauge training stress it is not essential for 90% of the riders looking to improve their Argust times. HR works just fine if you know what you're doing

15 minutes ago, Edereese said:

Me, I'm just looking for local performance to enjoy the Cape Town Cycle Tour :)

Fair enough but no need to undermine coaching in general and describe them as glorified hand holders when you have no experience/knowledge of what they do.

1 minute ago, Eldron said:

Fair enough but no need to undermine coaching in general and describe them as glorified hand holders when you have no experience/knowledge of what they do.

As mentioned in this post previously, you get coaches and then you get coaches. This started of with regards to a local race. It changed when you brought up National/ Euro/ World.. no argument there, but if you looking to improve your CTCT time, I still believe a coach will be a waste of money and a machine program will suffice. 

35 minutes ago, Job said:

I would only consider a coach if I was a 16 y/o with an aim of turning Pro or if I feel I have a potential to win the Vet races because at least there is some compensation there. As an ordinary man who has a 7am-10pm job I see no need for anyone on the same boat as myself to get a coach...get Zwift or Trainerroad adaptation plans are very good and much better now and less taxing on the body than previously. For now anyone with a target of a 3-4w/kg can achieve that with Zwift, TR and group rides. 

you are right,...IF the individual can stick to the cut n paste workouts. 

Does a generic plan account for your sleep, diet, hydration and the recovery from those stresses? Does it account for your work life balance? 

No, you or someone else needs to intervene

14 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

I recently came 3rd in a vets race. Prize money was less than the entry fee... 😫

You are a perfect candidate for a coach so that you can start winning better paying races like Argus or 947...I am always coming 150ish out of 200 riders in DL, therefore there is no coach in this world would do any miracle to get me in the top 10 of the vets, so to those like myself there is no point in wasting money on coaches unless you doing it for economic empowerment of our fellow coaches and boosting their business not to die and be in a position to assist those who really need coaching.