Cycling coach

stefo

3 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

I would plan and periodise accordingly.

💯
Yeah. Which is why I believe those with your skill set offers the most value over much longer time frames. Can't really periodise if you are already in the final period before your event, now you're just cramming.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

💯
Yeah. Which is why I believe those with your skill set offers the most value over much longer time frames. Can't really periodise if you are already in the final period before your event, now you're just cramming.

Ofcourse you can, This would be the most important time to make sure training is correct going into an event. make sure this period is correct so the rider for example carries as little fatigue from cramming into the event and making sure their taper is correct. Last thing I would want to do to any athlete is cram their training prescription regardless how close they are to the event.

but that’s me, each to their own 

24 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Lets not forget Anna Kiesenhofer won gold in Tokyo Olympics - No coach and used intervals.icu as her analytics 

She is capable of self coaching 

Cant say that about majority of people.....

After reading through 4 pages of people arguing about coaches and offering OP advice, I'm curious how many people actually looked at the form they linked to?

Perhaps I'm an idiot, but it seems like OP is doing research on cyclist's use of coaches and was offering a training plan in exchange for said information given in the Typeform survey.

2 minutes ago, Trashy said:

After reading through 4 pages of people arguing about coaches and offering OP advice, I'm curious how many people actually looked at the form they linked to?

Perhaps I'm an idiot, but it seems like OP is doing research on cyclist's use of coaches and was offering a training plan in exchange for said information given in the Typeform survey.

thought the same as it was unclear what the intentions were

3 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Yip, I filled it out for the OP

11 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Yip, albeit not entirely clear.  

Given it's on an open forum there will obviously be a broader discussion on the topic as well. Even some robust discussion that could be with some angst construed as arguing.

14 minutes ago, Trashy said:

I completed the survey, and then asked why he would send a training plan without consulting with the person to see if it’s actually of use to the person. 

I've never had a Coach nor have I ever been on any structured training program, I just ride my.bike asmuch as possible, and at times slot in some hill repeats, base miles and ride with the club. Through that I have got better over the years. Started riding 2018 and been riding a December aluminum bike (more of a 8spd commuter)and I've seen my time go.from 4:45 to 3:35.

A Coach is only necessary if you really wanna be that guysnd have the money. 

IMO riding with people stronger than you helps a lot.

2 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

If you doing it this way, your training prescription is wrong and planned incorrectly from the offset. 

And this is why so many club coaches end up with riders with failed goals. Everyone think just upping the base hours must accompany an associated intensity whilst forgetting that those extra hours is already a increase in intensity 

the idea of intensity is not well understood by many

My 2c:

I had great success in 🤬 myself up. Had motivation, dedication and discipline, went through many overtrained and under feuled phases which all ended in illness and/or injury. I never got the balance right, needed a coach to mangage it.

7 hours ago, Job said:

You are a perfect candidate for a coach so that you can start winning better paying races like Argus or 947...I am always coming 150ish out of 200 riders in DL, therefore there is no coach in this world would do any miracle to get me in the top 10 of the vets, so to those like myself there is no point in wasting money on coaches unless you doing it for economic empowerment of our fellow coaches and boosting their business not to die and be in a position to assist those who really need coaching.

I disagree. I have no expectation of being on a podium anytime soon (except maybe in the Big DL ride by myself around my field Christmas spectacular), but have always been poorly prepared for events in the past, resulting in me suffering more and enjoying less. I am considering a coach again in the new year to prepare for an as yet undecided event, not so I can win, but just so I can enjoy it and do as well as I am able to and to hold me accountable to prioritising my training commitments over all the other stuff life brings. 

I suppose that the equivalent is an average golfer going for sessions with a pro, not because he or she wants to win the masters, but just because he or she wants to improve their own game a bit. 

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

I completed the survey, and then asked why he would send a training plan without consulting with the person to see if it’s actually of use to the person. 

Just completed it as well. Looks like a data harvesting exercise to get leads for a coaching business. I doubt that the data has any other purpose than to allow them to try and sell something. 

1 hour ago, BigDL said:

I disagree. I have no expectation of being on a podium anytime soon (except maybe in the Big DL ride by myself around my field Christmas spectacular), but have always been poorly prepared for events in the past, resulting in me suffering more and enjoying less. I am considering a coach again in the new year to prepare for an as yet undecided event, not so I can win, but just so I can enjoy it and do as well as I am able to and to hold me accountable to prioritising my training commitments over all the other stuff life brings. 

I suppose that the equivalent is an average golfer going for sessions with a pro, not because he or she wants to win the masters, but just because he or she wants to improve their own game a bit. 

Well said.

I remember the three basic skills my golf coach taught me (in high school). I still revert back it those same skills when I know a golf day is imminent. Sure, I’m not going to shoot a par round, like I would back in the day, but I certainly will enjoy the day a lot more than if I just hacked it on the day without having applied those skills.