Tried and tested ways to burn fat

arandre

10 hours ago, ACE Cycles said:

Perhaps, but I don't see how 30mins HIIT burns more calories post workout than 1hr at Z2. 

HIIT also forces your body to use glycogen reserves, where Z2 uses fat reserves. 

I'd love to see an article explaining the science behind your theory. That said, any of these practices would be ineffective in weight loss without maintaining a daily calorie deficit 

it doesn't necessarily , the key word here is AFTER

i.e. go ahead and do the 2hr session , but after do the 30 min HIIT and you see massive numbers in the calories burned 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s not bad. 
I downloaded the app and tracked my food and snacks today. (And I snacked a lot today) 1780 calories

lets add some margin for inaccuracies and call it 2000 calories, the app says I should be at 3000 in order to lose the weight I want to

12 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

it doesn't necessarily , the key word here is AFTER

i.e. go ahead and do the 2hr session , but after do the 30 min HIIT and you see massive numbers in the calories burned 

Are you saying 2hr Z2 followed by 30mins HIIT?

Morne and I are discussing 1hr Z2 VS 30mins HIIT

10 hours ago, MORNE said:

maybe if you are 120kg or use a garmin ? Lol. Closer to 450 imo. But i guess its device and individual dependant.

It’s moot though…because my point was you’ll burn more for longer AFTER workout doing 30min HIIT than cruising in z2 for an hour.

14 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

HIIT weight/movement/gymnastics will shed you way faster than your 1 hour in zone 2.

If you want to lose weight, cardio is junk. 

Maybe you're right, but you can do 2hrs of Z2 every single day without risk of injury and without depleting your glycogen reserves... 

3 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

Firstly, the pros don't have weight to lose 😜

As the article says, it depends on each individuals fitness goals and there are benefits to both HIIT and Z2

They do. Every spring. 

Pro riders will combine them in different ratios depending on the time of year. So should we.

9 minutes ago, Eldron said:

They do. Every spring. 

Pro riders will combine them in different ratios depending on the time of year. So should we.

How many HIIT sessions would a pro do in a week? 

2 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

How many HIIT sessions would a pro do in a week? 

Depends on which phase of periodisation they're in. Less in the off-season and after big races. More in the build up to big races I would guess (I'm not a coach).

Paging Mr. Wakefield....

13 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Depends on which phase of periodisation they're in. Less in the off-season and after big races. More in the build up to big races I would guess (I'm not a coach).

Paging Mr. Wakefield....

I'm guessing that it's max 3 sessions a week. 

21 hours ago, madmarc said:

All this calorie counting and measuring foods just takes too much time and is confusing.

<snip>

yes, and no... I did it for 2 weeks and was fastidious about it, but once I knew what was in stuff, it became easy just by selecting the right things and being mindful of portion control. i was unsuccessful at both of those until i saw the numbers.

Don't get caught out with "low fat" or "fat free" foods. Compare the sugar and calories. 

Had a shock when we compared mayonnaise. Almost double the amount the amount compared to the regular stuff.  

45 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

yes, and no... I did it for 2 weeks and was fastidious about it, but once I knew what was in stuff, it became easy just by selecting the right things and being mindful of portion control. i was unsuccessful at both of those until i saw the numbers.

with my fitness pal it's quick and easy, everything is in there.