Anywhere to ride this weekend which isn’t Jurassic Park or a proper mud bath?

OVERDRIVE

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Call me lazy but after last weeks Takaro and what I’ve heard of Buffelspoort, just looking for a ride which doesn’t go through the Amazon. 

thoughts? 😁

Ride any of the national highways. No mud there...👍👍

Also getting gatvol of hearing my gears grinding themselves to pieces and washing my bike after every single ride. 

Rumor has it that Van Gaalens drains well. Will swing by there on Saturday. 

I assume Hennops will be dry as well.

Edited by Steady Spin

Wolwespruit is not to bad, Grootfontien apparently drains well so should also be pretty good, Hennops is also normally pretty good with not too many muddy sections after rain

Van Gaalens depends on where you ride will be fine. River is OUT, but the Valley and Meims is ok. Also the Greek Church area is ok.

Dumped Rain yesterday but 2 days of sunshine should be ok except the River. Even the District Road yesterday was mud.

Hennops, even better for no mud. Just takes 1 day to dry and 95% ok.

Ale House is close to both so Pizza and Beer can be on the cards afterwards

28 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Also getting gatvol of hearing my gears grinding themselves to pieces and washing my bike after every single ride. 

Rumor has it that Van Gaalens drains well. Will swing by there on Saturday. 

I assume Hennops will be dry as well.

Have never been to either, thanks for the heads up! Van Gaalens looks the driest of the lot though…

14 minutes ago, Swift01 said:

Van Gaalens depends on where you ride will be fine. River is OUT, but the Valley and Meims is ok. Also the Greek Church area is ok.

Dumped Rain yesterday but 2 days of sunshine should be ok except the River. Even the District Road yesterday was mud.

Ok Van Gaalens is dropped instantly 🤣🤣🤣🤣

51 minutes ago, Swift01 said:

Thank you sir. This changes my plan quite a bit. You can't ride VG and not do the River Trail. 

Damnit man. I'm gatvol of mud already. I like the cooler weather but jeez...

43 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Thank you sir. This changes my plan quite a bit. You can't ride VG and not do the River Trail. 

Damnit man. I'm gatvol of mud already. I like the cooler weather but jeez...

Agreed. I am sick of the mud.

2 hours ago, Rolf Hansen said:

We worked out a route at Red Barn that isn't that bad as it skips the worst mud hole and swimming pools but even with that we need at least a day of sunshine to dry enough to not sink everywhere.

Most of Cradle Moon ais well drained, just need to avoid some of the river sections which is do-able.

Hennops

Bizarrely I often find Northern Farms drier in the wet season than in winter, largely due to their inability to manage their flood irrigation, but also a couple of lower sections to avoid.

Kings Kloof

The Cradle loop

As mentioned VG river section will be nasty and much of Avianto too

I would assume Hennops is the driest place in the world even during a tsunami. It's never not been dusty there.

The yellow long route including the spookhuis at Cradle Moon should be dry. Avoid the bamboo forrest. 

7 hours ago, Rolf Hansen said:

Last week was just not on. That pic was taken ON the trail about 12km in. All that was missing was a T-Rex 🦖 

A94DEB4C-D761-4139-9AF4-4B30EB879A9C.jpeg

5 hours ago, geomark said:

Most of Cradle Moon ais well drained, just need to avoid some of the river sections which is do-able.

Hennops

Bizarrely I often find Northern Farms drier in the wet season than in winter, largely due to their inability to manage their flood irrigation, but also a couple of lower sections to avoid.

Kings Kloof

The Cradle loop

As mentioned VG river section will be nasty and much of Avianto too

Cradle loop will always be dry-last week was no issues at all. Only down from the Biden by the bamboo I passed a panda 🐼 or two irritated I was in their restaurant lol