The PRO Gravel Thread

'Dale

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

Hoping John can send us Matt’s TSS and IF nommertjies for that top 20 spot 😈

363TSS
.76IF

He was the 1st none world tour Pro in the results in 17th. Not sure what that actually means to you all but that shows the level Matt is. Add in a slightly harder climbing route like say Strada type the gap would be even bigger back. 

Got in a early break with Cort and Lopez which was good but technical killed the flow so it was brought back.
Rolled well
Got stuck behind a very good world tour roadie in the single track and the chain broke to the front pack and he saw a higher overall result slip away 
Overall considered he is happy with the result

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

363TSS
.76IF

He was the 1st none world tour Pro in the results in 17th. Not sure what that actually means to you all but that shows the level Matt is. Add in a slightly harder climbing route like say Strada type the gap would be even bigger back. 

Got in a early break with Cort and Lopez which was good but technical killed the flow so it was brought back.
Rolled well
Got stuck behind a very good world tour roadie in the single track and the chain broke to the front pack and he saw a higher overall result slip away 

I went and looked at the full results now. Wow! What a ride for Matt!

The world tour pros in the lineup went deep! He left a bunch of them in the dust behind him. Some big names, including Lachlan Morton just behind him. Yet again, Matt Beers giving us Saffas something to be proud of

17 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

363TSS
.76IF

Rolled well

Thank you, John.

A flat at Marathon Worlds and a chain break at World Gravel. I hope Matt perseveres. One helluva bike racer.

Some interesting names near the front there.

Couple of things stand out for me.Lopez riding after doing the 250km Lombardia race the day before .

Lakata good result at 41 years old.💥

David Rebellin ahead of some of our saffas at 51 years old💪

35 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Thank you, John.

A flat at Marathon Worlds and a chain break at World Gravel. I hope Matt perseveres. One helluva bike racer.

No I meant the chain to the group he was in snapped when he was stuck behind in the single track

1 hour ago, J Wakefield said:

No I meant the chain to the group he was in snapped when he was stuck behind in the single track

I think Phil Liggett would refer to that as 'The Elastic' 🤣

7 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I also think the racers choose the bike that will best suit them, their ability and the course on the day .....

Motoracing has the "Champion of champions" event.  For a week you get to compete against the best, each time in a different vehicle ....

Imagine a week of cycling .....

1. Road race

2. Time trial

3. Cyclocross

4. MTB Short track

5. MTB Long track

6. Proper 8 hour marathon MTB STAGE

7. Gravel event (maybe also a long and short event)

8.  MTB Downhill ...

9.  BMX ...

10. Freestyle ....

And yes, each on the appropriate bike.

Maybe best 8 out of 10 ....

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Motoracing has the "Champion of champions" event.  For a week you get to compete against the best, each time in a different vehicle ....

Imagine a week of cycling .....

1. Road race

2. Time trial

3. Cyclocross

4. MTB Short track

5. MTB Long track

6. Proper 8 hour marathon MTB STAGE

7. Gravel event (maybe also a long and short event)

8.  MTB Downhill ...

9.  BMX ...

10. Freestyle ....

And yes, each on the appropriate bike.

Maybe best 8 out of 10 ....

I'd definitely watch the bicycle decathlon!

7 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

Cause he is living the dream doing what he is doing now 

Or no offer on the table in which case it’s understandable. 

9 minutes ago, jcza said:

Or no offer on the table in which case it’s understandable. 

Or he doesn’t want to go Pro Tour cause it limits then what he wants to do racing wise which is MTB and Gravel while making more than most WT in a year payment wise. 
Which case it’s understandable  

Edited by J Wakefield