The PRO Gravel Thread

'Dale

Some pretty scenery in Belgium.
Sporza doesn't allow screenshots, so hard to share.

Eventually found the UCI website was showing it, too.image.png.0952702163bf902da58d02360503a600.png

Edited by Frosty

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Baracuda said:

Unless I'm missing something here, very little "gravel"??

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Some pretty scenery in Belgium.
Sporza doesn't allow screenshots, so hard to share.

image.png.1569964889fe5dd877a9147656809736.png

Will Canyon carry on being a top selling gravel bike?
If it's good enough for the new WC... 😁

The Dutch superstar vs the Belgian numerical supremacy. One week only out of a rainbow jersey and into another. 
What a cool course with so many varying surfaces from single track in forests to farm roads to cobbles. 
What a respectable defence by Mohorič.

Next year: location: Nice!
Pic: Getty Images

IMG_9643.jpeg

We were able to ride the final 50km loop early on Sunday morning. Mixed terrain, especially in the forests.  As said, beautiful scenery. Jeep track, smooth gravel, cobbles, mud, but definitely not SA or USA  type gravel. The speed at which these pros fly through the forest is crazy though. 

I must say though, the level of the european cyclists amazes me. Even and especially in the age groups. Vets age cat winners averaged 35 km/h on 180 km.  Even in the "amateur" ride the morning, guys were cruising along at 250W while chatting.

Marc Pritzen was the first SAFFA in 100th place, but I believe he had a puncture. Tristan Nortje abandoned due to illness unfortunately.

Yup, I see my age group (Men's 55-59) finished in the same time as the Elite women. Though I'm not surprised after seeing names like Udo Bolts placing 3rd in the group. The old ballies are hasty.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

Matt finishes 2nd overall in the Lifetime Grand Prix with a sprint finish over Payson at Big Sugar yesterday 💪

IMG_6445.jpeg

No DNA, just RSA

“Hulle weet nie wat ons weet nie”

What a bike rider. And racing so faaaaar from home and on the sharp end of the series is not to be underestimated.

9 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

Matt finishes 2nd overall in the Lifetime Grand Prix with a sprint finish over Payson at Big Sugar yesterday 💪

IMG_6445.jpeg

Awesome series by him! Can only admire his hard work and perseverance.

On 10/7/2024 at 10:43 AM, W@nted said:

We were able to ride the final 50km loop early on Sunday morning. Mixed terrain, especially in the forests.  As said, beautiful scenery. Jeep track, smooth gravel, cobbles, mud, but definitely not SA or USA  type gravel. The speed at which these pros fly through the forest is crazy ....

Ive done a few Gravel Fondos this year in Belgium. 

My first was in Houffalize last year, I felt under biked and if I could have done better using my mtb.

I did the Belgian champs (150km) this year, as they have it as an open Fondo that crowns the Belgian champs. I got to the start pen 45min before my age cat start and it was already 3/4 down the pen length. We did 3 laps similar to to world champs route and it was hectic. Ave speed for the first lap was around 38 and I lost the first group through the crowds, no 5min gaps between age cats, just 1min, so you catch the tail end of the group starting ahead pretty quickly and dodging obstacles, taking corners at speed becomes difficult.

I then did the gravel fonso in Aachen (150km), again, at start pen 1hour before start and could not see the front of my pen. Used the first climbs to try move up, but the forest section get congested with the slower guys from the earlier pens. I crashed out early in the 2nd lap, so did not finish. Ave speed for the 40-45 froup was again around 35 when I stopped.

I returned to Houffalize (120km) this year, and I had improved a lot, the more technical route with a lot more climbing meant I could be closer to the front. We do however start with a 3km climb of 10%, so everything is stretched out early. Finished about 20places out of qualifying for world champs.

Ill try and qualify for WC again next year, but getting into that top 25% in these european races are not easy. Hell, getting in the top 25% into the start pen isnt easy.

On 10/20/2024 at 7:43 AM, MongooseMan said:

IMG_6445.jpeg

what a champ!

2024FinalStandings2-scaled.jpg