Absa Cape Epic 2022

JohanDiv

There is definitely a gap since 2009 for telling the story of the backmarkers again, especially this year since it is harder than previous years

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

There is definitely a gap since 2009 for telling the story of the backmarkers again, especially this year since it is harder than previous years

These two young Germans without a backup team certainly is bringing the "privateer" image to the forefront .....  let's hope it creates some awareness and a market for more footage of this .......

But we all do (begrudgingly) understand the business model of airtime for those that bring in the money for the event and thus the media .....

3 hours ago, badiejb said:

If you have anything specific you want to see from the team or behind the scenes, let me know. we have 3 more videos to make it happen. 

I've really been loving every video, so no real suggestions other than keep doing what you are doing. 
1. The editing works
2. The music is great and suits the vibe

3. Love the fact that you're continuously talking to different guys in the team and not only focusing on the front 4 (Matt & Chris, Haley & Sofia). 

Looking forward to seeing the rest! You guys are doing great.

18 minutes ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

I've really been loving every video, so no real suggestions other than keep doing what you are doing. 
1. The editing works
2. The music is great and suits the vibe

3. Love the fact that you're continuously talking to different guys in the team and not only focusing on the front 4 (Matt & Chris, Haley & Sofia). 

Looking forward to seeing the rest! You guys are doing great.

......and I can listen to Sofia talk all day long😍

10 hours ago, badiejb said:

I totally agree, but in our case (Specialized Racing) with the limited time and focus, we are dedicated to telling the story from inside our camp. I like the idea and will brainstorm to see how we can incorporate this in future. If you have any good ideas, would gladly hear them. 

thank you for the comment. 

Thanks for posting the link to You Tube, I went back and watched one, then watched them all last night - compelling viewing for me.

Well done on your approach and especially on the footage/ edit so quickly after the stage - really enjoyed it.

Looking forward to the rest and hopefully 2 GC bottles of bubbly on Sunday. Good Luck!

11 hours ago, badiejb said:

Stage 4 highlights. 

Awesome video 🤟🏼

Keep it going

7 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Pauline needs some "team"skills...lol 

I think its her first ever race of this nature, so yea, the team work needs a lot of improvement.  But there is nothing wrong with the ability or looks ... 😉

Edit: Scratch that, was looking at yesterday's splits instead of today. 

Edited by PhilipV

12 hours ago, badiejb said:

Stage 4 highlights. 

Nah stop making these vids.... so much FOMO watching that! 😖

Sights, sounds and that feels (mental battle preparing for the next day) from Cameron is really what the Cape Epic is about.

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Epic used to have a 60min highlight package that told the story of the weekend warriors. They gave that up in 2009 as the last time I recall seeing one was of the 2008 edition.

They made a conscious decision to focus solely on the race as that was deemed to be the future of the event despite the weekend warriors being the funders of the event. Without them its not possible.

Someone told me that this is the market to look after as if you don't then they will ride away. I call BS on this because the only concession to the back markers is the extension of the cut off on some stages yet despite no fan fare there seems to be a never ending supply of weekend warriors to keep the cash rolling in.

So clearly the focus on the race and ww's having the opportunity to ride the same trails is enough incentive to participate

the whole thing of the Epic being the "Tour de France" of mountain biking has taken a bit of a slide since most of the XC big names stopped riding it. they will need to find the new niche in marathon/epic series with a few list A riders. Nino does it because he seems to have it on his calendar in blackmarker. Who is the next highest ranked XCO rider in the field?

https://www.uci.org/discipline/mountain-bike/4LArSj7CKcytMrGEDtKwkb?tab=rankings&discipline=MTB

foster in #15, marotte in #16.

uh mean a bunch of privateers who pooled their cash last month, got their dad to get some leave from the carpentry shop he runs(i made that up) and are on the podium is an amazing story. it really is, but it also shows how the depth has fallen from the field.

Flip I'd be bleak to pay so much money to ride the ultimate mountain bike race, and then find myself on tar and district roads for almost an entire stage. Kinda does feel like I'm watching the Tour de France today... 

3 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Flip I'd be bleak to pay so much money to ride the ultimate mountain bike race, and then find myself on tar and district roads for almost an entire stage. Kinda does feel like I'm watching the Tour de France today... 

hahaha trust me if you paid and riding you would so grateful for some tar roads respite on day6 

4 minutes ago, babse said:

hahaha trust me if you paid and riding you would so grateful for some tar roads respite on day6 

I have absolutely no doubt that were I riding I would relish the break. I was just under the impression I was watching a mountain bike race and not a road or gravel tour...

Looks like Lars crashed hard this morning? Could have been other team involved also? Caught brief glimpse of Speed? with bloodied elbow...