Absa Cape Epic 2022

JohanDiv

23 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

My main (ant only real) gripe about the coverage is how pro centric the commentators are even after the 'races' are in.

No looking to the back of the field and discussing the guys at the back from a survival perspective. It's all racing racing racing.

As I said before, the racing is 1 aspect and their main marketing focus, but the nuts and bolts of the event and financial stability comes from the guys paying for their entries slogging it out each day, but they seem all but forgotten. 

Almost purposefully ignored so as to keep the focus on the glitzy great and powerful Oz (if we want to keep that simile going)

but isnt this the case with most events ?

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, ouzo said:

but isnt this the case with most events ?

The Epic is pretty unique in how it's set up though. 

The Pro's and the bob hopes ride the same route at the same time. I don't know too many other events that claim to have the world's best pro's and proper weekend warriors slogging it out on the same route at the same time. 

Especially an event with this sort of coverage. 

7 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

The Pro's and the bob hopes ride the same route at the same time. I don't know too many other events that claim to have the world's best pro's and proper weekend warriors slogging it out on the same route at the same time. 

You are forgetting about the ARGUS! /s

5 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

You are forgetting about the ARGUS! /s

I would pay big bucks to see Alaphilippe attack up chapies and/or suikerbossie 🤣 Unfortunately we'd probably miss it since the coverage will probably show the women when it happens

Edited by Jbr

24 minutes ago, edgarblount said:

Thanks for sharing, well worth the read.

Martin is the epitome of resolute, regardless of the circumstance.

At the sharp end of the race we have Matt Beers, excelling, coached and equipped by the best and fully deserving of his status.

At the blunt end of the race we have Ngubo, showing grit and determination and fully deserving of his entry.

Proud of the Saffas.

I'd be intrigued to share a beer with both. 

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

I watched intermittently so also not sure, maybe punctures again combined with not feeling good.  Maybe someone else know why Scott Sram was so terrible today?

Long story short, Forster struggled with form/fatigue. 

39 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Comrades 🙄

Epic used to have a 60min highlight package that told the story of the weekend warriors. They gave that up in 2009 as the last time I recall seeing one was of the 2008 edition.

They made a conscious decision to focus solely on the race as that was deemed to be the future of the event despite the weekend warriors being the funders of the event. Without them its not possible.

Someone told me that this is the market to look after as if you don't then they will ride away. I call BS on this because the only concession to the back markers is the extension of the cut off on some stages yet despite no fan fare there seems to be a never ending supply of weekend warriors to keep the cash rolling in.

So clearly the focus on the race and ww's having the opportunity to ride the same trails is enough incentive to participate

that 10min reel showed in the supper tent every evening shows quite a few rear ended okes... maybe that is suffice for them? 🤭

8 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

I'm a bit ambivalent about the Epic coverage, I really don't mind who wins in the pro ranks.

However if the coverage also included focus on guys like this then I'd be all over it. 

Absolutely! 

Edited by edgarblount

I wonder when it comes to Free-hubs what is better 3 pawl or ratchet? I had the 3 pawl fail on my bike last week.

Edited by _David_

12 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Crazy how epic is demanding on components, they are all having issues I've never had in 30 000km over the last 2/3 years, and I'm assuming most would go in a race like this with a f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶v̶i̶c̶e̶d̶ brand new bike !

Fixed that for you.