Moriah “Mo” Wilson murder case

OVERDRIVE

1 hour ago, J Wakefield said:

For me this is a terrible article. But Outside level of quality has been on a downward slope as of recent so not to surprising.

agreed, i got about halfway and couldn't anymore... i was reminded again and realized never to read from that Outside crowd again...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, splat said:

I am following their new trajectory with interest.

Sort of like watching a hot air balloon with a puncture……

5 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

For me this is a terrible article. But Outside level of quality has been on a downward slope as of recent so not to surprising.

Why do you say it was a 'terrible article'? 

On 1/26/2023 at 1:43 PM, tubed said:

Interesting, I thought it was quite well written. Perhaps the audience here might not be Outside's readership (which is sort of a compliment). But given Outside's readership, I though the author included the type of information and style which they would enjoy reading. To me it had the hallmarks of a short story crime novel.

Wouldn't be surprised to see it on Netflix after the trial. 

If this was the first thing I had heard on this saga, I might have found it quite a gripping read.

I learnt very little new from it, so it wasn't that riveting.

I have always enjoyed Outside content, I can see many faithful readers departing the ship.

On 1/26/2023 at 4:34 PM, tinmug said:

When the author of the article is mates for Strickland for one and you shouldn’t writing an article like this or taking it on as an assignment and you don’t disclose this and how Outside signed this off is another question all together. 

BCF2DA8F-1CFC-4A47-9F52-C9A0D59EDEFE.jpeg

A different perspective, and refreshing that the author is transparent about his friendship with CS. It’s long-form journalism, and it did raise a handful of new details for me (bear in mind the limitations of what can be said before Armstrong’s case has played out). I thought it was okay and worth the time to read. 
I haven’t read Outside content for several decades - since long before they had a web presence, in print - so cannot comment on the quality of Before vs Present. But thanks for your thoughts on this either way. 

On 1/26/2023 at 5:34 PM, tinmug said:

It didn't offer anything new or insightful really, it just added long form hyperbole. Personally found it simply exploited circumstances to maximise clicks across everyone of it's titles. 
Being open about having a personal connection doesn't detract from the massive conflict of interest. From a news perspective it's hugely problematic to ethically publish such a piece under these conditions.
CT founder Wallace made it clear. Internally a number of people are not happy either. 

31 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

It didn't offer anything new or insightful really, it just added long form hyperbole. Personally found it simply exploited circumstances to maximise clicks across everyone of it's titles. 
Being open about having a personal connection doesn't detract from the massive conflict of interest. From a news perspective it's hugely problematic to ethically publish such a piece under these conditions.
CT founder Wallace made it clear. Internally a number of people are not happy either. 

Isn't it just indicative of the world we live in?

Clicks over all else... 

I stopped following reading stuff about this long ago. It was portrayed by so many as a days of our lives episode without really touching on the devastation. Just a lot of finger pointing and what ifs without much substance.

The world, unfortunately, these days rather enjoys watching, commenting and opinionated without attaching much weight of reality. 

A whole lot of today's interaction belongs in the gossip section of Huis Genoot. 

This is often the kind of thing when those who voiced some strong early opinions land up with egg on their face. 

By reading the article and commenting we are all just adding to the Huis Gennot vibe. Me included

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Isn't it just indicative of the world we live in?

Clicks over all else... 

I stopped following reading stuff about this long ago. It was portrayed by so many as a days of our lives episode without really touching on the devastation. Just a lot of finger pointing and what ifs without much substance.

The world, unfortunately, these days rather enjoys watching, commenting and opinionated without attaching much weight of reality. 

A whole lot of today's interaction belongs in the gossip section of Huis Genoot. 

This is often the kind of thing when those who voiced some strong early opinions land up with egg on their face. 

By reading the article and commenting we are all just adding to the Huis Gennot vibe. Me included

SCANDALOUS!!!

Huisgenoot is one word. You are hurting people's eyes spelling it like that!

On 1/26/2023 at 7:40 AM, FondTF2 said:

Just highlights how F....d Up the gun laws are in the USA.

The fact that you can gift somebody a firearm is beyond any logical reasoning.

It’s easy to buy a weapon in Texas

After providing the background information required by Federal law for licensed gun dealers, he asked the salesperson if they needed to have Armstrong’s information, too. “No,” he was told. “In the state of Texas, you can gift someone a gun.”

Honestly, this is another major issue with c....p journalism. No where does it say who the firearm is registered to. It says he gave her the gun. If he gave her the gun and it is registered to her then the background checks would have been done on her. If he gave her the gun and it is still registered in his name. Then he will likely be in trouble because a gun registered to him was involved with a homicide which makes him somewhat liable, unless he reported it as stolen in which case he is still in trouble.

USA has different gun laws in the various states. So saying American gun laws are F....d Up is also a bit open ended. Because in California or Florida it is actually very different to say Nevada or Texas. But all have basic background checks and their own nuances. Florida you can't conceal carry for example, California you can't put a 30 round mag in your Glock, Texas you can put a 100 round drum in your Glock. There are lots of differences so it is not worth labelling them all the same.

As for gifting a gun. My wife has her competency certificate. This involves background checks and letters or recommendation and a bunch of admin and both legal and practical exams and training. I can legally give her my gun to protect herself when I am out of town. She is a competent person who knows the laws and can handle the gun. I can buy her a gun and she can get it licensed in her name as well. I see no issue. Take and Oupa giving his grandchild a family heirloom gun to learn to shoot with. Or giving your child a shotgun for sport shooting. Gifting and giving guns is more common than you believe but there are legalities and admin around it.

On 1/26/2023 at 7:44 AM, madmarc said:

Huh ? can you elaborate I thought they worked the same as a hollow point 

They work similar but while it is partly for stopping power it is also for safety of people around the shooting. A hollow point mushrooms but stays 1 piece. Means that it gets a larger surface area but has significant weight/momentum. A bullet that splinters like theirs means more surface are and less weight in each part so it has less momentum and even less penetration. Yes whatever gets hit will have more energy put into it with both but neither bullet will go through and out the other side with significant energy. So whatever energy that bullet has gets transferred to the target. This does cause more damage to whatever get's hit in the form of superior cavitation in a hollo point. Or in multiple bullet channels with cavitation on each. But beyond the target it is far safer.

For the context of safety however they are both safer for similar reasons. In a place like America or in a public area they are safer for all around the incident. If the bullet mushrooms and doesn't penetrate and come out the other side then if you hit your target, anyone behind the target is safe. Remember international gun safety rule number 4- always know your target and what is beyond it. So in a public place someone behind a public shooter or shooter's target is at less risk. If you hit the target: 1 he will likely drop and threat is eradicated and 2 the bullet won't go through and into someone standing 50m behind the target. Remember you are responsible for your bullet until it comes to rest. This is big for police and working in public areas. If your shots are on target then background people are safer because even if it does go right through, it will be so slow it will not be anywhere near as dangerous.

As per American context  - Drywall houses. Here if you shoot someone in the house or miss. it will likely land in a brick wall. There if you let loose in the house- you better hope it doesn't go through the perpetrator, through the wall and into a family member. If there is a shooting here in the street, you duck behind a brick wall and you are pretty safe. There you may as well not duck if it is just some cladding and drywall between you and the shooting. So a mushroom bullet or splintering bullet won't penetrate as well. So drywall then offers a little more protection and safety again for those around the shooting. This is also why a lot will not recommend an AR15 in 5.56 for self defense. Because that bullet will not stop at close range in a house. A shotgun with a slug can kill someone 2 rooms away but birdshot will not penetrate the wall. So ya, lot's of considerations to be made.

• 9 months later...

It's like a soap opera. The oh-I'm-not-guilty-at-all Armstrong escaped from custody (for all of ten minutes before being found). Some fresh-faced lawyer says the jury is biased thanks to skewed reporting.

Um. Fleeing client. Twice.

9 minutes ago, tinmug said:

It's like a soap opera. The oh-I'm-not-guilty-at-all Armstrong escaped from custody (for all of ten minutes before being found). Some fresh-faced lawyer says the jury is biased thanks to skewed reporting.

One has to wonder how fleeing from custody is a thing. Especially if the perpetrator is a known flight risk candidate.

32 minutes ago, tinmug said:

what? LOCK HER UP!