Critérium du Dauphiné - 2022

Vetplant

54 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Jip, but at least WvA threw away "only" a stage at Criterium du Dauphine and not a Monument. ;)

Wout is in Yellow again today, that should console him a little bit.

WvA again showing his versatility by competing for the win on a CAT 2 stage finish climb. He already won a bunch sprint in Stage 1 and will surely be a contender on the 31.9km ITT today.

I will forgive him that oopsie, will remain a huge fan, he is still 'n YSTER !

Edited by TheoG

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Vetplant said:

So close again, but Wout will be content in pushing Ganna so close. 

JV sitting very pretty on GC

Don't want to jinx it but I see a possible 1 & 2 for JV.  Between Primoz and Jonas for the win, would be a nice tester too see which of them is in best form.

Would be nice if Wout can steal 3rd overall, but with those mountains on the last two stages, probably very unlikely.

1 minute ago, TheoG said:

Don't want to jinx it but I see a possible 1 & 2 for JV.  Between Primoz and Jonas for the win, would be a nice tester too see which of them is in best form.

Would be nice if Wout can steal 3rd overall, but with those mountains on the last two stages, probably very unlikely.

Yeah

I was thinking that with the proper climbs still to come, JV might be in a prime position for a double whammy.

While out riding on Tuesday I was thinking about how the Peloton is missing Jalla and Bernal and also Hirschi after his breakout season.

I really hope all 3 can come back from their respective injuries. Pro racing is definitely better with them in the bunch (or ahead of it)

2 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Agree.

Wout should be able to stick with the front runners until the end of stage 6. But stage 7 and 8 will be a bridge too far for him to stay with the mountain goats, methinks.

Would be interesting to see if he tries to go as deep as possible on those stages to secure a good GC result, or if he plays domestique for Rog and Jonas.

16 hours ago, Vetplant said:

So close again, but Wout will be content in pushing Ganna so close. 

JV sitting very pretty on GC

IMG_20220608_181929.jpg

IMG_20220608_182002.jpg

Super impressive, considering he was racing for the win the day before while Ganna sat up, and he is in the yellow non custom skinsuit (check the photos on instagram of the bunching up of that suit on the arms compared to usual)... If I was Ineos I would be worried. But Ganna also does not always sit at top top form before important races. The first TT at TDF is definitely going to be interesting. 

at 71km to go, the break was 2'10 ahead.

Peloton chased it down to 1'15

But now at 35 to go, they are back up to 2'20. Peloton is not just sitting around, they are trying to chase it.

I'm thinking the Break has a chance here.

Just now, Jbr said:

what a finish ! Wout got his win ;)

Sensational final 20km! Kudos to the Breakaway, they nearly got there. 

4 hours ago, Vetplant said:

Sensational final 20km! Kudos to the Breakaway, they nearly got there. 

No kudos for them from me, why on earth with race radios and DS’ giving them time splits would they still want to go and play cat & mouse in the final kilometers knowing very well the peloton is coming in hot. The win really should’ve come from the break.

27 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

No kudos for them from me, why on earth with race radios and DS’ giving them time splits would they still want to go and play cat & mouse in the final kilometers knowing very well the peloton is coming in hot. The win really should’ve come from the break.

the break was never going to win today, Jumbo wanted it to come to a sprint as Wout wanted to test against Groenewagen  ahead of the tour. However he never made it over the climb and Ineos got stuck in for Hayter and Jumbo followed.

Its Dauphine; to win a stage here is huge, this is why they played a cat n mouse game, it was always going to happen so you dont outplay your chance. 

1 hour ago, J Wakefield said:

the break was never going to win today, Jumbo wanted it to come to a sprint as Wout wanted to test against Groenewagen  ahead of the tour. However he never made it over the climb and Ineos got stuck in for Hayter and Jumbo followed.

Its Dauphine; to win a stage here is huge, this is why they played a cat n mouse game, it was always going to happen so you dont outplay your chance. 

maybe that was Jumbo's MO but to make the catch with only 150meters to go was too close for comfort, Wout got lucky there. I still feel the break could've won that stage. We've seen it a few times in the most recent races where the break commits 100% and the Sprinter teams loses out because of miscalculations or lack of assistances from other Sprinter teams.

8 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

John how is the new bike for UAE? 

2 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Road and TT bikes have been well received by the riders so this is always good.

thank you for asking 

I forgot about the new TT bike.

Looking fast.

All the best with the build up to TDF!