Bike boom - is it over?

Headshot

17 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Great post.

Some stuff has easily got relatively cheaper, A fridge for example 40 years ago was an expense that was probably 4/5 average paycheques and there were only a handful of models available anyway. Now you can buy a decent one from a wide range (the very fancy ones do still cost 4/5 paycheques). The thing is, some widget could go in the compressor after 4 years and the warranty/replacement part doesn't exist so it gets scrapped for another affordable one. the old fridges lasted for decades.

My old roommate from varsity lived on a farm in the groot karoo. His dad once told me about how inflation has affected him. In the 70s, the value of a new hilux was ~40 sheep. now it is ~150 sheep (I forget the exact figures, and you need to acknowledge that the vehicle has got a lot more into it these days). To replace the fencing on the farm would now cost more than what the entire property is worth.

I'd be interested to see what the spending patterns on south africans are for vehicles. For middle class and up I could see us being in the top10 worldwide for buying cars way above affordability levels. 

I'm not a farmer but at full retail I worked out a new hilux costs 300 sheep - that’s the most basic double cab 

I have no idea why I did that 

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Farmers counting hilux's in sheep. Then you go through the classified adds looking for a tractor and realize R2.5-3mil for a 5 year old tractor or combine isn't exorbitant in the current market. 

16 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Farmers counting hilux's in sheep. Then you go through the classified adds looking for a tractor and realize R2.5-3mil for a 5 year old tractor or combine isn't exorbitant in the current market. 

Same with trucks. My trucks only get the best diesel, the bakkie can get what's left over at the bottom of the tank*

I think it's because tractors and trucks are specialized and have commercial value, so they hold value very well # and there is a healthy buy-sell element in the 2nd hand market.

I bought a truck last year. What I learned was that cash is king and you need to jump on a bargain. 

* not really, clean diesel is imperative, especially on something as volatile as my Ford. 

13 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Do you sell Honda now?

We recently bought a '16 Jazz for my mother in law and we're seriously impressed with the brand. So much so that I think (I can hope) my wife's infatuation with VW is over. 

Yip, I'm with Honda.

Jazz has always  been a winner, my wife had an '08 and that thing was bullet proof. Great resale value on them too.

Our newer vehicles have stepped up in terms of build quality, ride quality etc. 

3 minutes ago, stringbean said:

As said in previous post ,rich are still rich(or just stupid)

Pop round to the start of your next Trailseeker middle distance and check how many youngsters are on the start with 200k s works bikes🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Status symbols. The Achilles heel of the well-to-dos. 

case in point: a new Hilux to a farmer who just had a great harvest. 

13 hours ago, PhilipV said:

That's a story. SARS doesn't care if it's branded pink, subtly or not at all. 

Okay I asked him about it, apparently if you brand the vehicle it can be claimed as a marketing / advertising expense to the company 🤷‍♂️

I thought claiming tax on company vehicles was limited to certain vehicles, like single cabs count as work trucks but double cabs don't? or did I hear wrong? I shut down a little when the mrs goes into accountant mode

This is what I get from google: 

"If an employee is driving the vehicle, branded or otherwise, then he will be taxed on the personal mileage he does unless all his travel is for business purposes. Regarding the branding, this can be claimed as a marketing or advertising expense by the company".

11 hours ago, Hairy said:

Both Honda and Suzuki are high on my list of cars when we go shopping again.

I drive an Isuzu double-cab, and last month during its annual service the dealer tried to murder the yoke and extension housing. After I caught them out on their cheat (trying to convince me the damage was wear and tear, and not due to poor workmanship and manhandling), eventually I got a Suzuki Swift loaner for the last week of the 4 week ordeal.

I was pleasantly shocked by the fuel efficiency of that little car. It averaged about 20km/l and was actually a fun drive. It felt a bit like a go-cart, but I ascribe that to my size, and being used to the large confines of a double-cab. 

I might replace the wife's ageing Polo, which I bought new in 2010 and has 185k on the odo with one of these. But that will only happen maybe in another 3 ~ 4 years . . . maybe. And I know where I won't be buying it from too.

3 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

eventually I got a Suzuki Swift loaner for the last week of the 4 week ordeal.

I was pleasantly shocked by the fuel efficiency of that little car. It averaged about 20km/l and was actually a fun drive. It felt a bit like a go-cart, but I ascribe that to my size, and being used to the large confines of a double-cab. 

I might replace the wife's ageing Polo, which I bought new in 2010 and has 185k on the odo with one of these. But that will only happen maybe in another 3 ~ 4 years . . . maybe. And I know where I won't be buying it from too.

I got a Baleno last year. Really happy with it as a town car. Great fuel economy and best in class boot and rear leg room.

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

Status symbols. The Achilles heel of the well-to-dos. 

case in point: a new Hilux to a farmer who just had a great harvest. 

and if it was a really good harvest it is a Landcruiser

19 hours ago, ouzo said:

The problem comes not only with the complexity but with the smaller tolerances. Everything is being built with the least bit of overengineering possible, all in the name of keeping costs down. That means things break easier.

As for the Kwid, you just need to spend a day here seeing them coming in next door on flat bed trucks to realise you'll probably be spending more keeping them on the road then is justifiable. 

What are your thoughts on the 'Dacia' Renaults? 

57 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I drive an Isuzu double-cab, and last month during its annual service the dealer tried to murder the yoke and extension housing. After I caught them out on their cheat (trying to convince me the damage was wear and tear, and not due to poor workmanship and manhandling), eventually I got a Suzuki Swift loaner for the last week of the 4 week ordeal.

I have a older gentleman who services my cars and I always ask his advice, has never let me down.

He has had some sad stories with Suzuki's. Little R10 seals inside gearboxes leaking within 30000km. Hours of labour to replace, and leak again soon after.
On the Honda Jazz, pricey to do major services because of car layout. Looked at one and walked away when he told me you have to practically remove the dash to do sparkplug replacements.

All cars have faults but those stick with me.
Oh and 17r labout to replace a waterpump on a newer Golf GTi.....

1 minute ago, dave303e said:

What are your thoughts on the 'Dacia' Renaults? 

I can only comment on the feedback I've gotten from others. Those with the Dusters love them and dont have any complaints. I'm not sure which others are rebranded Dacia's though.