Bike boom - is it over?

Headshot

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

I thought claiming tax on company vehicles was limited to certain vehicles, like single cabs count as work trucks but double cabs don't? or did I hear wrong? I shut down a little when the mrs goes into accountant mode

no that's claiming VAT on commercial vehicles at purchase time. eg. super cab is commercial, double not.

but any car can be a company car

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

I have a older gentleman who services my cars and I always ask his advice, has never let me down.

He has had some sad stories with Suzuki's. Little R10 seals inside gearboxes leaking within 30000km. Hours of labour to replace, and leak again soon after.
On the Honda Jazz, pricey to do major services because of car layout. Looked at one and walked away when he told me you have to practically remove the dash to do sparkplug replacements.

All cars have faults but those stick with me.
Oh and 17r labout to replace a waterpump on a newer Golf GTi.....

That jazz you're talking about would have been one of the older 1.4s that had dual spark plugs per cylinder. And no, you dont have to practically remove the dash, but the second set of plugs ARE difficult to get to if you dont have a lift. And most people dont know that the dsi designation on that engine means dual spark so they land up only replacing one set of plugs.

Yes, times are tough! I don't even have money for basic maintenance. I'm riding with a stretched chain, and can't even afford to replace my shifter and dropper cables 😬 Luckily I ride a steel hardtail, so maintenance is minimal compared to most 😅

1.JPG

Strange thing for me is the seeming glut of supply of new Scott Sparks which end up at second hand dealers for the same price as new. What gives? Are Scott happy to have any Tom, Dick and Harry sell their bikes while the dealers who have invested in the brand get shafted or is is rogue dealers moving stock for the sake of it.

Edited by thebob

27 minutes ago, cclayford said:

Yes, times are tough! I don't even have money for basic maintenance. I'm riding with a stretched chain, and can't even afford to replace my shifter and dropper cables 😬 Luckily I ride a steel hardtail, so maintenance is minimal compared to most 😅

1.JPG

I also remember how much closer to totally worn I used to ride chains and cassette's. I feel like most are replaced with a good 1000km still to go on them nowadays. #rideittillitblows

you will laugh at the amount of sniping done to cut running costs that you don't see...

I have an old bike on the trainer. Because I only train in ERG mode- the gear doesn't really matter. So when I set it up, I found the cheapest, heaviest, chain and cassette. Then I run it in 1 gear for a few 1000km, then swap to the next gear for the next few 1000km then the next. Stretched chain don't care, between the mrs and I, we are over 7000km with a single chain, cassette, shifter cable, jockey wheels etc. But our fun bikes only come out on weekends and not when weather is inclement(other than races). It means you can enjoy the proper riding because you are fit, but not have the massive running costs of riding a premium expensive drivetrain/tyres a lot. Rouvy also has family membership to cut costs there.

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

and if it was a really good harvest it is a Landcruiser

Recently in Spain for two weeks ,the only Land cruiser i saw was the police vehicles and they were the basic TX type Prado. Major farming in France and Spain and the go to transport is a form of Van .I did not see even one double cab bakkie in France or Spain  

1 hour ago, eala said:

Recently in Spain for two weeks ,the only Land cruiser i saw was the police vehicles and they were the basic TX type Prado. Major farming in France and Spain and the go to transport is a form of Van .I did not see even one double cab bakkie in France or Spain  

Farmers have a very different attitude (or need, I'm not sure) to vehicles in Northern Europe to SA. 

Need some advice/opinions please. Is it better to push extra payments into house bond or car loans? I am really on a mission te get rid of all debt, but not sure what is the best sequence in going at it? (To stay on topic, my cycling budget has been severely hampered by the fuel price and increase in interest rate)

2 hours ago, Mongoose! said:

Sunrace 11 speed cassette  all the way for me :ph34r:

Swopped my XD freebody for a Shimano one

Who really needs a 10t / 12 gears at the rear anyway ...🙃

I buy my 11 speed Deore ocassettes when Evobikes have specials ....

Still have two off Sunrace cassettes on Maritz's bikes .... working just fine

Now keeping an eye out for a 36 NW with 104 BCD .... actually would love a 38 ....

1 minute ago, W@nted said:

Need some advice/opinions please. Is it better to push extra payments into house bond or car loans? I am really on a mission te get rid of all debt, but not sure what is the best sequence in going at it? (To stay on topic, my cycling budget has been severely hampered by the fuel price and increase in interest rate)

Get rid of the one with the higher interest rate first ...

14 minutes ago, W@nted said:

My 2c worth. Try and pay off the car sooner as that is a depreciating asset. 

If finances allow, the best would be to put a little into both.

1 minute ago, FondTF2 said:

out of the 2 the car will probably have the highest interest rate anyway.

5 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Yes also my thinking. What a like is that the extra money in the bond is available in emergencies. Agreed that the car interest rates are higher, so will tackle them harder.

11 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Well worth checking the fine print on BOTH.

MOST bonds will have an "access bond" facility, where your extra payments remains available.

In the past some vehicle HP's had early cancellation penalty clauses !!  Some just require a notice period (at least that is how is was).  Just be sure of the fine print on yours, and what you can do without incurring penalties.  {clearly I am not up to speed on the fine print of modern vehicle loans}