E bike vs regular chain lube

MTBRIDER1234

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use this one for my pBike.

pBikes are faster than eBikes, so I'm guessing this would be the best for regular bikes!

C3 CHAIN LUBE OFF ROAD - Motul New ZealandMotul New Zealand

Edited by patches

13 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I think there must be a difference in the formula slightly, otherwise they would just market their regular chain lube to both E bikes and non E bikes and just raise the price of that...

I am sure that under the hood they are exactly the same.

Who will be first to make O Ring chains for ebikes? I would look at one based on how they have changed dirt biking.

14 hours ago, splat said:

15 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I don't think anything for saddles and shoes. But for components yes. E bike cranks are different, some chainrings are different and you get E bike specific forks, wheels etc.

Here we go, in the marketing info .... it is for better balance and walking comfort when riding an e-bike ............image.png.f94171a51316119b7cb64030128e98d4.png

On the topic of balance, I wonder if these guys are going to make an e-bike specific model
https://eu.powerbalance.com/

1 hour ago, Dicky DQ said:

I am sure that under the hood they are exactly the same.

Sorry bru, but Dieselindust already confirmed that they are different.

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

Here we go, in the marketing info .... it is for better balance and walking comfort when riding an e-bike ............image.png.f94171a51316119b7cb64030128e98d4.png

On the topic of balance, I wonder if these guys are going to make an e-bike specific model

I guess they are sort of a 'hybrid' shoe. It almost seems like they aren't a true cycling shoe and rather maybe a reinforced shoe geared to walking as well as riding (maybe the sole is not as stiff?)

4 hours ago, patches said:

I use this one for my pBike.

pBikes are faster than eBikes, so I'm guessing this would be the best for regular bikes!

C3 CHAIN LUBE OFF ROAD - Motul New ZealandMotul New Zealand

my pBike does not require any lube ... just a rinse with water now and again.

13 minutes ago, mazambaan said:

Who will be first to make O Ring chains for ebikes? I would look at one based on how they have changed dirt biking.

O Ring for SS bikes would be cool ... .but would it introduce any friction into the drive train? 

Edited by Hairy
spelling

I have a bottle of the Squirt ebike wax lube in the box. Works really well and I used it throughout our wet summer recently. 

It outlasted the BAT wax lube by about one ride which isn't a lot but it is comparing wax to wax.
Would be interesting to compare against the regular version. 

It was what the LBS had a the time and I didn't buy into the "ebike specific" marketing hype. 

22 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Haha I am also looking to justify the extra 20 rand

I do find it miles better (get it?) than Smoove and it's also pretty clean. But unless I find some concrete evidence here, then I may just go back to the regular one

I seem to have the opposite experience. I found Smoov to be cleaner than Squirt, all things being equal.
Regards, Thinus.

23 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Howzit all, I was wondering if there is any extra benefit to be derived from using E bike chain lube on a non-E bike? I use squirt chain lube and I saw that the E bike specific lube is about 10 or 20 rand more... So I wondered if it lasts longer or will do a better job of lubricating my chain in poor conditions

If there is anyone with knowledge about the chemicals that go into these 2 variants of squirt, then I would be really interested to know if, and how, they differ from one-another. 

I bought some as a joke. Its just as shite as regular Squirt. I prefer that other SA stuff in the red bottle because it seems to stay on longer. 

7 hours ago, Hairy said:

Hectic….someone is going to buy that bs

7 hours ago, mazambaan said:

Ya o-ring and X-ring chains are the bees knees on a dirtbike, and still somehow cheaper than a lot of bicycle chains

7 hours ago, Hairy said:

O Ring for SS bikes would be cool ... .but would it introduce any friction into the drive train? 

You get X-ring chains which are a little less friction, but there is still considerable friction. I think for a commuter bike it would be awesome though just in terms of less maintenance

if anyone's popping into the LBS for e-bike chain lube, they should be sure to get the e-bike saddle and the e-bike helmet. all those things are next to the 29-er saddles and helmets. oddly, there's no such thing as 29-er chain lube. who knew?