Overpricing…

OVERDRIVE

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Checkers is on a mission to compete with Woolies and has recently launched a drive to level up their stores.

PnP is not keeping up despite trying. They can make their stores as good looking as they want. As long as the staff is the weak link, the store will fail.

A friend of mine grew up in a PnP franchise store that his family owned. He ended up working there as well. 

That store is immaculate, and they know every staff member by name. 

He hates going to corporate PnP stores where the staff are provided by labour brokers. 

WRT Checkers. Freshmark, their fresh supplier , has been pushing hard to provide better products in store, and it can be seen in store. 

1 hour ago, esCape-ist said:

What makes you think it is any different in the cape? Untreated water in the ceres valley and in and around Robertson is undrinkable. Thousands of litres of pesticide making it's way into the ground water every season.

Being in the Agri industry, I'm curious. Do you have any data or findings regarding this that I can read?

I drank Ceres tap water yesterday, must have been treated.

Edited by PhilipV

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and while we are still at it and they havent really popped up yet... WW gets all the bad rep for being too expensive,  but when last have you shopped at a SPAR?? I always feel ripped off when I shop at SPAR, maybe it's their franchise model. Prices between stores are all over the place. You'll find a SPAR in a affluent area is more expensive than a spar in one less so....except for the crappy spar in observatory, CT. Hell that has to be one of the most expensive SPAR's in CT imo....and considering their shopping demographic are mostly dirty obz type artists and students......i dont get why. 

Edited by MORNE

34 minutes ago, MORNE said:

and while we are still at it and they havent really popped up yet... WW gets all the bad rep for being too expensive,  but when last have you shopped at a SPAR?? I always feel ripped off when I shop at SPAR, maybe it's their franchise model. Prices between stores are all over the place. You'll find a SPAR in a affluent area is more expensive than a spar in one less so....except for the crappy spar in observatory, CT. Hell that has to be one of the most expensive SPAR's in CT imo....and considering their shopping demographic are mostly dirty obz type artists and students......i dont get why. 

That’s exactly why. People who don’t really understand the value of money, highly likely don’t have transport to travel further to shop cheaper, or spending mom and pops money. 

41 minutes ago, MORNE said:

That's why I actually started shopping at woolies, my commute home forced me to either go out of my way to a PnP or Checkers or choose between woolies or spar.

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

not to mention checkers almost always smells of Jeyes fluid or jic or whatever they use to wash their floors. Nice walking in the fresh produce section when it reeks of a hosed down bar floor the morning after...  

Don't you guys have the FX versions of Checkers? 

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

not to mention checkers almost always smells of Jeyes fluid or jic or whatever they use to wash their floors. Nice walking in the fresh produce section when it reeks of a hosed down bar floor the morning after...  

you need to Up your standards imo...sugar moms at checkers?? no chance. To paraphrase one of those articles earlier about checkers withdrawing from Africa....Checkers is considerd the working class supermarket chain in SA 😅

this is true

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

thanks god for Friday

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

SPAR are mostly private owned stores and the owners have a fair bit more room to do as they please vs franchised head office owned stores where everything is mandated to them.

This is why you have different pricing at different stores as well as different product availability.

6 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Got to pay that Sagan bill, I guess? 

6088E675-E989-4E33-A86B-A6AD09614B31.jpeg

4AEA598A-06B3-4D5C-A215-F8B51C5D483F.jpeg

really funny now that he rides or a supermarket chain now. but kudos for trying to get the thread back on a cycling track...

4 hours ago, ouzo said:

[comic sans]

its because they're an international brand now

[/comic sans]

edited to add

The Wattz bib I bought a few weeks back for R499 suddenly went up to R799 yet still on special

They probably needed to ups the price in order to be able to replace the item. Presumably the wholesale price has jumped. 

45 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

really funny now that he rides or a supermarket chain now. but kudos for trying to get the thread back on a cycling track...

I wouldn't call Total Energies a "supermarket chain" even if they sell kitkat on their forecourts through the la Boutique 😄

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Don't you guys have the FX versions of Checkers? 

The only semi nice ones in CT are the ones  The Bason’s frequent ( before the sold their share) haha. They built their own ones nice….the rest of us get the ‘working class versions’ There are plenty of FX here yes…but they are the same old outdated shopping experiences you find in MOST checkers stores. Cream tiles, stink of jeyes fluid early morning, loads of marketing banners, banting flags, gross corner cafee style meat sections.
Imo ofcourse. The only real difference between most checkers and shoprites is the paint color to me😅
there is a lot of industrial psychology that goes into designing a supermarket. Checkers don't always seem to get it (yet) 

Edited by MORNE

2 minutes ago, MORNE said:

The only semi nice ones in CT are the ones  The Bason’s frequent ( before the sold their share) haha. They built their own ones nice….the rest of us get the ‘working class versions’ There are plenty of FX here yes…but they are the same old outdated shopping experiences you find in MOST checkers stores. Cream tiles, stink of jeyes fluid early morning, loads of marketing banners, banting flags, gross corner cafee style meat sections.
Imo ofcourse. The only real difference between most checkers and shoprites is the paint color to me😅

your supermarkets down in the cape (at least the ones I've frequented) are certainly not on par with what we have up in gauteng.

I used to do stocktaking as a student job for Shoprite way back. Once the aircons are switched off and the nice smelling people leave those places KLUNK! And siff does not even begin to describe the dairy fridges. I still struggle with yoghurt and it took me a long time to eat bacon again after a particularly bad olfactory assault.