[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

2 hours ago, Jorrie said:

Is dit net ek of irreteer die ebikes ander ook. Couple of bunches just sitting behind our tandem and don't want to work, decided to drop them just for an e-bike to pull them back again...there's probably a place for them but I don't like them having a influence on others times...

Saw a few more riders sitting behind e-bikes...I like the old days where you work on your own for whatever time you chase. Any way still enjoyed the race! 

Was in 2D, don’t have too much of an issue with them pulling people along, but going 30kph up a climb is just dangerous, also almost got knocked off my bike, doing 60kph down the hill just before Edinburgh, some idiot comes flying past on an e-bike doing prob close to 80kph, also narrowly missing people in front of me, how can this be allowed? Being pretty pissed off at this point it fortunately only got better further on💪, although I mostly did ride on my own due to not feeling super comfortable in bunches (Last road ride was 2022 CTCT).

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, AkwA said:

Was in 2D, don’t have too much of an issue with them pulling people along, but going 30kph up a climb is just dangerous, also almost got knocked off my bike, doing 60kph down the hill just before Edinburgh, some idiot comes flying past on an e-bike doing prob close to 80kph, also narrowly missing people in front of me, how can this be allowed? Being pretty pissed off at this point it fortunately only got better further on💪, although I mostly did ride on my own due to not feeling super comfortable in bunches (Last road ride was 2022 CTCT).

They should not allow e-bikes in the early bunches. Maybe from 5 they can seed them with the others. Most of the e-bikes in the bunches I rode in behaved. I started from 5D. Only few idiots I saw. Most of the issues I saw were bad cycle etiquette, but that is to be expected in the late bunches. The road from Smits is get more sketchy as the years roll by. 

4 minutes ago, dev null said:

They should not allow e-bikes in the early bunches. Maybe from 5 they can seed them with the others. Most of the e-bikes in the bunches I rode in behaved. I started from 5D. Only few idiots I saw. Most of the issues I saw were bad cycle etiquette, but that is to be expected in the late bunches. The road from Smits is get more sketchy as the years roll by. 

Honestly, can’t think of a good place to put them, early on, then they help other people, later on I feel like it would be dangerous as now you’ve got inexperienced people on powerful machinery racing between people that already aren’t necessarily comfortable on a bike

4 minutes ago, AkwA said:

Honestly, can’t think of a good place to put them, early on, then they help other people, later on I feel like it would be dangerous as now you’ve got inexperienced people on powerful machinery racing between people that already aren’t necessarily comfortable on a bike

Most of the issues I saw were caused by the massive differential in speed up the climbs. Most riders in a seeded group will cycle up a climb at the same speed on normal bikes. These people on e-bikes zipping up the right and yelling to keep left are the people causing panic line changing by riders already zoned out from suffering.

Edited by dev null

2 minutes ago, dev null said:

Most of the issues I saw were caused by the massive differential in speed up the climbs. Most riders in a seeded group will cycle up a climb at the same speed on normal bikes. These people on e-bikes zipping up the right and yelling to keep left are the people causing panic line changing by riders already zoned out from suffering.

Or in my case even on the downs, but feel it would be even worse if they were zooming between the guys doing 7 hours, not 3:30

What a spectacle....early start and like horses out the gate!!! No squeeze at the on-ramp and straight to work...good climb up Wynberg and great run down the M3. Simon's Town was a test climb into the wind...had me worried about Smits but it never really materialised....got shunted across the gutter into the side lane by a tandem at the Millers climb and had to bunny hop back twice to get back on the road!!! and what a run down to Scarborough and along Misty Cliffs, spectacular scenery but got hit hard by groin cramps!!! Pedalled through it and did a lot of standing up Chappies to keep the cramps at bay!! Suikerbossie was the usual riot of spectators willing everyone up and over...on the way down Llandudno and passed 12 Apostles, I realised I was in for a sub-4 so gunned it all the way...just made it TBC 3h54!!!! Beyond stoked!!! 

We all come for the views!

image.jpeg.36f99054a2a0c31e51de752c30ad5b95.jpeg

Sometimes on my own...

image.jpeg.a2f0508d3f47351b01c58e5acc4e9140.jpeg

Sometimes not!!!

image.jpeg.20fcfc275bc67f5c54b88a2a6d54abfe.jpeg

Always dashing tho!

image.jpeg.17d578ae4e6110e766e70f20de6673ab.jpeg

And meeting fellow Hubbers...howsit Smarty (sic)!

image.jpeg.0c7b591625679c0dea2d58e43fe5c855.jpeg

I'll be back!!!!

image.jpeg.164a33c6240143666d436f68f5ce5208.jpeg

Feels for those that crashed and RIP to rider at Misty Cliffs if this did happen....

image.jpeg

8 hours ago, Thomo said:

Has there ever been a year without a crash on hospital bend ... and inevitably it is in those "race" groups 1A-D.

Speedy recovery to all involved.

Yeah… Hospital Bend is always inviting riders for a stop over! Somethings don’t change… 🫣

Hope all is well with those road warriors who got down to sea level by default.

I see some insurance claims flying in the course of next week. 

2 hours ago, Mike Nel said:

Anybody know if Racetec have an issue? Results not out yet. Or do they wait for Tour to end and capture everything together?

Results are out. 

I started in group 1C but I see the results said I started in 1D, anyone else move up a group?

Just now, PappaWatTrap said:

Results are out. 

I started in group 1C but I see the results said I started in 1D, anyone else move up a group?

Seems to be a common problem 
People that started ahead of me have results that state they were in my group

1 minute ago, cadenceblur said:

Seems to be a common problem 
People that started ahead of me have results that state they were in my group

That should be sorted out once the results from all the scan points are reconciled. From past experienced it usually is sorted on the Monday as the IT people work through the data.