[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

The main question then for the organizers would have to be, If they are guaranteed to lose lets say 3000  entries due to Ramadaan, Financially, Will the event still be able to take place? I mean it's gone from 35k a good few years ago when I started and even a lucky draw entry system because there were so many people wanting to do the event, to just over 18k this year and people literally entering at the expo and doing substitutions there too which was never a thing before. So already they're almost at half of the entrants they were 10years ago. Yes the entry fee has doubled in that time to possibly compensate for that and the fact that everything has become more expensive, But I'm pretty sure once they only start seeing 15k entrants, it's going to become a major worry. I think they've already lost their title/"slogan"/selling point of "the biggest timed cycling event on the planet", and if not yet, They will soon.

Edited by FootballingCyclist

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

The main question then for the organizers would have to be, If they are guaranteed to lose lets say 3000  entries due to Ramadaan, Financially, Will the event still be able to take place? I mean it's gone from 35k a good few years ago when I started and even a lucky draw entry system because there were so many people wanting to do the event, to just over 18k this year and people literally entering at the expo and doing substitutions there too which was never a thing before. So already they're almost at half of the entrants they were 10years ago. Yes the entry fee has doubled in that time to possibly compensate for that and the fact that everything has become more expensive, But I'm pretty sure once they only start seeing 15k entrants, it's going to become a major worry. I think they've already lost their title/"slogan"/selling point of "the biggest timed cycling event on the planet", and if not yet, They will soon.

i think this is the main reason they introduced the shorter route, to try and get more people, if I recall they were sayin into total (both routes) it was 28 000 entrants. Still way down though.

As for catering for the various religions, it would be interesting to see the stats of how many from each religious group. Right now we are thumbsucking.

1 minute ago, The Ouzo said:

i think this is the main reason they introduced the shorter route, to try and get more people, if I recall they were sayin into total (both routes) it was 28 000 entrants. Still way down though.

As for catering for the various religions, it would be interesting to see the stats of how many from each religious group. Right now we are thumbsucking.

Yeah makes sense, But with that introduction of the shorter route, it means the M3 is closed in both directions, I'm pretty sure the cost to run the event will then also increase somewhat, And it's the M3 then Eastern Blvrd inbound which needs to stay closed to cars later than outbound with the short route and also requires more medics on stand-by, ambulances, traffic services etc etc. I'd hate to see what next years event will cost for both routes if they try to take less entries into account because we know the price won't come down, But the qu is, how much will it increase by to compensate for less entrants?

Oh well, Guess we won't know till later this year.

9 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Just to note - at least 20% of entrants don't pitch on the day and then there is a whole bunch that don't finish. So the actual entrants will be significantly more than the results you see on racetec.

For me its also a no-brainer that if moving the event a week or 2  means a few extra 1000 can participate then organisers should do it. Flipping around the whole cycling calendar to move the event to October which was suggested earlier probably not practical though and cant see that happening.

1 minute ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Yeah makes sense, But with that introduction of the shorter route, it means the M3 is closed in both directions, I'm pretty sure the cost to run the event will then also increase somewhat, And it's the M3 then Eastern Blvrd inbound which needs to stay closed to cars later than outbound with the short route and also requires more medics on stand-by, ambulances, traffic services etc etc. I'd hate to see what next years event will cost for both routes if they try to take less entries into account because we know the price won't come down, But the qu is, how much will it increase by to compensate for less entrants?

Oh well, Guess we won't know till later this year.

yeah the M3 being closed for longer messed us around slightly for our return to Muizenberg, landed up taking the M5. thankfully know the route so wasnt to concerned. Although our traditional post race analysis as we travel along the route we'd just ridden was lost.

24 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Ah the days of me sitting in front of the pc at 12:57 just refreshing the entry page to make sure I get to enter in time. Slow internet? Sorry buddy no entry for you. 

Now you get to see how your December training goes before deciding to enter. 

56 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

they introduced late entry fees for the first time.

i think it was R755 early entry and

~R950 for late entry.

This might increase the entry revenue and also spur more people to enter for 2024 when it opens.

Other factors to look at.

*covid is sort of done now (in terms of event restrictions).

*weather was good, so people will start forgetting about the windy/rainy ones

*semigration, more JHB people living closer now

Remember the actual entry fee increase is a tiny fraction of the total R12k weekend budget quoted earlier from an upcountry person..

Lower flight prices would do a lot more for entry numbers.

26 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

they introduced late entry fees for the first time.

i think it was R755 early entry and

~R950 for late entry.

This might increase the entry revenue and also spur more people to enter for 2024 when it opens.

Other factors to look at.

*covid is sort of done now (in terms of event restrictions).

*weather was good, so people will start forgetting about the windy/rainy ones

*semigration, more JHB people living closer now

Remember the actual entry fee increase is a tiny fraction of the total R12k weekend budget quoted earlier from an upcountry person..

Lower flight prices would do a lot more for entry numbers.

yep its rather pricey heading down there these days. It can be done cheaper than that 12k. But I had to call in favours and share expenses and find bargains. It still cost me more than I was hoping for, but thats mainly down to us not being budget conscious with our food choices.

I think the late entry fee is a good thing. The organisers need to budget, with large numbers of people entering last minute it makes budgeting and negotiating better rates difficult.

I'm hoping the shorter route will keep the numbers propped up and keep the event viable for years to come. Its become a tradition for us over the last 20 something years, and like LWB said in the other thread, there is no uhming and ahing about IF we will enter, entering is a given.

3 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

yep its rather pricey heading down there these days. It can be done cheaper than that 12k. But I had to call in favours and share expenses and find bargains. It still cost me more than I was hoping for, but thats mainly down to us not being budget conscious with our food choices.

I think the late entry fee is a good thing. The organisers need to budget, with large numbers of people entering last minute it makes budgeting and negotiating better rates difficult.

I'm hoping the shorter route will keep the numbers propped up and keep the event viable for years to come. Its become a tradition for us over the last 20 something years, and like LWB said in the other thread, there is no uhming and ahing about IF we will enter, entering is a given.

Us infamous Valies from Potch have already tentatively booked accomodation in Green Point for next year...

1 hour ago, Scary Rider said:

Us infamous Valies from Potch have already tentatively booked accomodation in Green Point for next year...

Friday coffee is where ???

BIETJIE vroeer kom, dan gaan ons na die Taal Monument :clap:

16 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Friday coffee is where ???

BIETJIE vroeer kom, dan gaan ons na die Taal Monument :clap:

Enige plek met lekker koffie!

Ek hou van jou planne!!

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Free early prediction for 2024… 30* and unfortunately windy. 

Sorry🤷🏻‍♂️

🤣

At least it can only get better from there ...