Beware Bikemarket.co.za: Selling Bikes with Plugs as Permanent

me100

2 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

..... and my pride and joy husky ride on mower 

Wait - hang on. Where do you take your husky ride on to get punctures? 

And while we're at it, show us a peecha of the tool kit you carry on the mower for emergency tyre plug repairs

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I am in the industry and I have yet to meet anyone who replaces a tire after plugging it. Hell, I sometimes take home tires that people have replaced, plug them and get a helluva lot of life from them, for the grand total of a few rand for the plug.

It is nothing to worry about and if sealant doesn't fix it, a mushroom plug will. 

I think he mis-interpreted the fact that it is often said that plugging a road tyre is only a temporary fix to take you home, which in my experience is true because all plugs that I put in road tyres never lasted the distance. But what is true for a small tyre with a tiny plug that you run a 6 bars isn't true anymore a 2 bars when the plug is the size of a childs finger. Also it doesn't mean you need to replace the tyre, just fix it properly (inner patch).

Either way the OP learnt two things, one about fixing tyres, and one about checking your facts before publicly shaming someone.

Edited by Jbr

My experience is that bike sellers often take a chance and put slightly worn tires on a bike that is otherwise fine (happened to me twice lately). I shrugged it off and bought new tires for the two bikes. 

But honestly a leaky plug in an MTB tire would be pretty low in my list of concerns, just plug it again and carry on.

Now's a fine time for OP to learn some basic home-mechanic skills, like patching the tire if this is such a huge concern. And as a bonus, maybe also how to remove and fit said tire. But then, there'd be no one to paint with the tar brush once OP realises that he forgot the sealant.

44 minutes ago, Mokgaga said:

OP must remove the post or maybe Bikemarket should send him or her a love letter from the lawyers

Why? If anything this thread is a good lesson and a positive reflection on Bike Market.

Almost can’t buy that kind of good PR, but can easily pay a pretty penny in ******* up that good value with a legal love letter.

1 hour ago, Mokgaga said:

take it easy on OP. i suspect he or she is new to mountain biking

50 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Hey, the OP came out swinging and missed ........ 

What Hairy said

OP came out saying plugs are temp measure wich is nonsense

Hold it - hold it - hold it !!!!

If I bought a bike from anyone and the tyre starts to leak after just three rides because of a plug that has not seated properly I would also be pissed off and expect the seller to do something about it.

You buy a bike in good faith that it is in good working order and this bike was not albeit that it is just a tyre but bicycle tyres ARE expensive. Tyre with plug in = discount for sure.

Give the guy a break

It seems OP is nowhere to be found...

When someone with 1 or 2 forum posts comes in all guns blazing and then is never seen again, it usually reflects worse on them than it does on the person/business they are rambling on about.

A message to OP: check your facts before you post some incorrect nonsense on the internet that makes you look really stupid. Plugs ain't temporary and if you don't know how to put in sealant then I am surprised you even managed to find this forum and start whining.

Replacing the tyre because it has a plug in it is crazy. BM should however imo have topped up the sealant to stop the slow leak, or sent a bottle of Stans over. They do maintain that bikes are thoroughly checked before being sold, so if there is sealant there should be no leak?
Just make for good business practice. 
If the problem continues after that, then maybe there is a bigger wheel issue?

They do have a "ready to ride guarantee", so would hav also been a bit pissed if the tyre is leaking. But also to be fair, their checklist does not include checking tyres 🤔

image.png.4951c77441e830f439dc1534bd4f3062.png