Beware Bikemarket.co.za: Selling Bikes with Plugs as Permanent

me100

I think Admin should plug the hole that this thread has become.

Put a seal on this discussion.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Mamba said:

I think Admin should plug the hole that this thread has become.

Put a seal on this discussion.

I agree @Matt

12 hours ago, Barry said:

@steve-h i will make it short and sweet.

If you are in the Centurion area bring your bike to me i will re do your tubeless sort you with new valves/ tape and Stan's (Free).

lets get you back on the bike and enjoying your new ride.

let me know where you are and maybe @RobertWhiteheadwould be willing if you are out his side and send me the bill. 

Especially since @Barry and @RobertWhitehead are willing to clear out this issue once and for all. 

Reaction Gifs — Nothing to See http://ift.tt/1NwaTV1

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

It is nearly Friday, surely this thread will reach it's climax come then ...................... 

Not if you put a plug in it. 

43 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Everyone is missing the point of this entire thread.

Bikemarket sells second hand bikes with second hand tires which has second hand plugs inserted. How dare they do this?

For shame! Stay clear everyone!

Um, youre not entirely wrong there Bub... (let me put my flame suit on while I type)

BM gets frames/bikes in and 'replace' the tubless with tubes. On the sale of the frame, the top of the pops sales person flogs you a tubeless conversion and adds 2 valves, 2 sealants and (if needed) 2 tubeless tyres (I presume used rubber that came with the frame orignally) 

Yay for the good salesman!

In reality they remove the tubes, pop a vlave back into the rim, add some sealant and pomp it up for you to head off into the sunset happy as larry on your new fiets. 

I was told first hand by that top of the pops salesperson that they convert the bikes to tubed to ensure the wheels stay inflated whilst on the show room floor - then when the bike gets sold its is offered as an upgrade to tubeless. Maybe its changed now but this was the MO about 9 months ago when I popped in to see a bike that they had on sale. 

So perhaps the OP has some merit for being grumpy about it leaking past the valve and loosing pressure. Our hubcourt has been correct in giving reasons as to why it was leaking and how to repair/fix it by changing the tape, re-seating the valve (or replacing) and adding fresh sludge to the wheel. Sure, simple fix and worth it. But I did point out that the tyre was never cleaned of old sealant when it was replaced onto the rim which, to me, shows poor pre-service-inspection checks or at worst, just sommer quickly delfate the tyre, remove the tube, pop a valve in and sealant and re-inflate the tyre. 

Dealers are all the same - it doesnt matter if its for bicycles, cars, home appliances or drugs. They're there to make money and are not really in the game of repeat business due to the nature of their product. 

Everyone likes a happy ending, and to me it would be prudent of BM to reach out, take the OP's hand and sort his wheel out with a new valve, some tape, a bit of elbow grease to clean it and some fresh sky into his round (I mean, if it a cost issue I'll donate the effing R100 to replace those items). Lets not miss the wood for the trees here. 

Happy customer, happy dealer and happy marketing for future sales. Win for everyone. 

Edited by 117

13 minutes ago, 117 said:

Um, youre not entirely wrong there Bub... (let me put my flame suit on while I type)

BM gets frames/bikes in and 'replace' the tubless with tubes. On the sale of the frame, the top of the pops sales person flogs you a tubeless conversion and adds 2 valves, 2 sealants and (if needed) 2 tubeless tyres (I presume used rubber that came with the frame orignally) 

In reality they remove the tubes, pop a vlave back into the rim, add some sealant and pomp it up for you to head off into the sunset happy as larry on your new fiets. 

I was told first hand by that top of the pops salesperson that they convert the bikes to tubed to ensure the wheels stay inflated whilst on the show room floor - then when the bike gets sold its is offered as an upgrade to tubeless. Maybe its changed now but this was the MO about 9 months ago when I popped in to see a bike that they had on sale. 

So perhaps the OP has some merit for being grumpy about it leaking past the valve and loosing pressure. Our hubcourt has been correct in giving reasons as to why it was leaking and how to repair/fix it by changing the tape, re-seating the valve (or replacing) and adding fresh sludge to the wheel. Sure, simple fix and worth it. But I did point out that the tyre was never cleaned of old sealant when it was replaced onto the rim which, to me, shows poor pre-service-inspection checks or at worst, just sommer quickly delfate the tyre, remove the tube, pop a valve in and sealant and re-inflate the tyre. 

Dealers are all the same - it doesnt matter if its for bicycles, cars, home appliances or drugs. They're there to make money and are not really in the game of repeat business due to the nature of their product. 

Everyone likes a happy ending, and to me it would be prudent of BM to reach out, take the OP's hand and sort his wheel out with a new valve, some tape, a bit of elbow grease to clean it and some fresh sky into his round (I mean, if it a cost issue I'll donate the effing R100 to replace those items). Lets not miss the wood for the trees here. 

Happy customer, happy dealer and happy marketing for future sales. Win for everyone. 

i love the dedication to keeping this thread alive after 11 pages.  Solid multi-paragraph contribution from 117, even if a bit misdirected

26 minutes ago, 117 said:

WOW !!

What a sad statement ..... truly sad part is how often this is true.

THANKFULLY many (okay, some) dealers ARE interested in repeat business !!!  Both in bikes and cars.

PS - now IF BikeMArket did what you are suggesting ..... surely there would be fresh Sludge in the tire and the PLUG would have sealed.   It may well explain the suggestions that the rim tape had moved .....  BUT, surely it does NOT take THREE MONTHS for the buyer to figure out the tubeless install is leaking.

Ooooo damn, did I just get sucked into this vortex ....

herewith my humble contribution to keep this going till FRIDAY ... :P

An LBS is in the business of repeat business... 

I'm sorry to digress the original topic too, there's no point in discussing the merits of good business practice in this thread. 

Lets carry on lynching the OP till friday. Thats more fun 🏹 

Whos got extra long pitchforks then? 

On 9/26/2022 at 8:17 PM, PygaSchmyga said:

Are you seriously this dense?  Have you not absorbed a single piece of knowledge from people who actually know what they are talking about and who have shared this with you for free?

1. YOU ARE WRONG - a plug is commonly considered by all REAL cyclists as a perfectly acceptable permanent fix, and is universally accepted as a non-issue

2. YOU ARE WRONG - there was no hiding of the plug because it is a non-issue - refer 1 above.

THOSE are the facts.  You were berated because you acted like an self entitled, arrogant, ignorant pillock.  Seems your capacity for learning is non-existent.  Grow up son.

Surely he's trolling?

2 hours ago, 117 said:

So many paragraphs.

I think i need to work on my sarcasm a bit more. Eish!