Another first bike question - how do we feel about Silverback?

EttVenter

Hey guys! 

I need to buy my first MTB. Budget is 16/17k if I can finance through a place like cycle lab. 

What SEEMS to be a good bike at that price point is the 2022 Silverback Stride Expert, but I'd love some thoughts about this from you guys.

My needs - definitely a MTB, but no crazy DH stuff. This bike will be for trails and things though, so the front fork needs to not be a POS apparently.

Would the silverback be a good start? Should I consider something from Titan Racing Maybe?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a Silverback SIDO 6 years back. No issues.Fox32 fork / 1 x 12speed GX / 34 crank / Shimano brakes etc. Quality components from a german manufacturer. Any inexpensive bike is cheap for a reason - the components are the not the best and will fail/wear out prematurely. Suggest you look at a second hand bike rather but with decent components and probably from a bike shop (gumtree etc is dangerous). You won't get a return on a cheap bike if/when you sell to upgrade. 

Merida also good but mates of mine have had issues with Titan a while back, but i suspect they are improving.

2 hours ago, EttVenter said:

Hey guys! 

I need to buy my first MTB. Budget is 16/17k if I can finance through a place like cycle lab. 

What SEEMS to be a good bike at that price point is the 2022 Silverback Stride Expert, but I'd love some thoughts about this from you guys.

My needs - definitely a MTB, but no crazy DH stuff. This bike will be for trails and things though, so the front fork needs to not be a POS apparently.

Would the silverback be a good start? Should I consider something from Titan Racing Maybe?

My suggestion would be to buy a full suss 2nd hand alloy bike . R16k for a new bike is going to get you a hard tail with *** components. Better to buy a 2016/2017 decent full suspension bike. 

Buy a R12/13k second hand bike. I see you are in Pta, consider the @The Bike Vendor (no relation just happy to recommend).

Will get better value for money and you don't need a new bike...

13 minutes ago, Pieter1 said:

I used to love my Silverback. Would still have one if their UAE distributor bothered to reply.

Thats part of why the last replacement took so long .....

New distributors in SA ... who knows what that really means for the full supply chain

10 hours ago, PaulieV said:

My suggestion would be to buy a full suss 2nd hand alloy bike . R16k for a new bike is going to get you a hard tail with *** components. Better to buy a 2016/2017 decent full suspension bike. 

Why do so many people recommend a dual suspension as a first bike?

Reasons not too

If you are on a budget maintenance is way more expensive especially buying used.

You don't learn important basics because you're leaving it to the bike to "help" you.

Just starting chances are you're not that fit and HT climbs easier.

Properly set up HT will be more comfortable than an incorrectly set up dual, as buying new they will probably throw in a basic set up.

And lastly its comforting to know that you have at least a year warranty on everything. 

Good morning. I was in your exact position a month or 2 ago and ended up buying a Titan Rogue Dash brand new (about R16k) and within my budget. I am also a new rider and it was pretty difficult trying to make sense of all the information out there.

There was the temptation to buy something flashier second-hand like a dual suspension or even an older hard tail. You can get a good deal second hand, but you cut your risk to zero by buying new. Also, I wanted to start with a hardtail and learn to enjoy it to its full potential. I can always go full suspension later on. 

I read a bunch of threads on this forum and on the internet and trimmed it down to three bikes, the Titan Rogue Dash, the Marvel Prime at Cycle Lab and the Trek Marlin 7 Gen 2. I rode all three and the Titan felt most comfortable. It also has the 5 year warranty. 

Also, try to avoid finance. Rates are going up, and rather go a few 1000 cheaper. You need cash for kit as well.