• Yes, always!
    • Nope, I pay asking price!
    • I negotiate fairly!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just say no, politely. You may eventually find your buyer, but it takes a while before someone wants to offer you full price.

BM is offering you cash almost immediately, including collecting the bike. Sometimes this is better than having the next 15 idiots ask you if it is still available and then ghost you..

I'm guessing they are looking at what they think the bike is worth to them - what you paid for it is actually meaningless. This is why it is called a marketplace - willing buyer, willing seller and all.

I have made a number of offers well below asking price when I think the item is not worth the list price. I don't think it is offensive to the seller to make a low offer.

I called this a rant because you came out calling people out and stating how you disapprove of their behavior. That is clearly a rant, you just tried to disguise as a poll.

You wanted comments, and now you are calling people who diss agree with you keyboard warriors. I’m pretty sure their comments would remain the same if given in person.

People very seldom pay extra for ‘upgrades’ on a second hand bike. Maybe I want to run axs, or shimano, but  because of the new components you added, as a buyer I would probably not want to change these parts immediately because they are new, so ultimately I would not be buying the bike I want.

You are selling the bike for more that what you paid for in the end. Maybe I should start a poll asking whether selling bikes for more than what you paid for is acceptable and call @MM out for this kind of behavior.

4 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

People or a buyer can offer whatever they want or seen the bike is worth to them. It’s up to you as the seller to accept it or not. 

I don’t think pointing the person out on here is right cause he made an offer you got emotional about. If you don’t ask, you don’t get.

Time will tell wether you sell at your price or wether 15k less was the better deal.

Not sure how every 2nd poster seems to think I got emotional?

Not like I was forced to accept, but sheesh, seems the tact some people lack is just par for the course... 45% less of asking price is an audacious slap in the face. I merely asked if this is the norm here, which doesn't seem to be according to the votes on the poll.

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Hey, i understand your side completely.  But maybe a little more info on the bike would help your point. A scott 970 like yours would probably retail around 20/23k. You got the bike from Leon who was or may still be involved with bike market Lynnwood so your good deal was probably as a result of a lowball offer to start.

All good man, not being condescending or anything here, but please show me a 2019 Spark 970, in immaculate condition (the stanchions aren't even faded yet), with a basically brand new 1x12 NX drivetrain, serviced, well maintained and with extras, for R20/23k. Coz then I overpaid by R10 to R7k (and from what I can see on the market, this isn't the case), you see 960s with SX groupsets for R36k these days.

This thread isn't, never was, and never will be about my item on sale... it was about how someone makes an offer of 45% less than asking price, and how some (according to the poll, most in fact), consider that as low-balling, as most votes are for fair negotiations over low-ballers.

It was also Leon (The Bike Vendor) who sold me the bike, I knew I was paying a tad more for it compared to others, but the bike was, and still is, looking almost brand new. So not sure who you're referring to in this post. 😕

Edited by MM

10 minutes ago, sirmoun10goat said:

I called this a rant because you came out calling people out and stating how you disapprove of their behavior. That is clearly a rant, you just tried to disguise as a poll.

You wanted comments, and now you are calling people who diss agree with you keyboard warriors. I’m pretty sure their comments would remain the same if given in person.

People very seldom pay extra for ‘upgrades’ on a second hand bike. Maybe I want to run axs, or shimano, but  because of the new components you added, as a buyer I would probably not want to change these parts immediately because they are new, so ultimately I would not be buying the bike I want.

You are selling the bike for more that what you paid for in the end. Maybe I should start a poll asking whether selling bikes for more than what you paid for is acceptable and call @MM out for this kind of behavior.

This line of reasoning is amazing... absolutely impeccable. Do you offer training sessions online, so one may obtain this skill in life?

Anyhow... clearly you didn't grasp my keyboard warrior comment... nowhere did I say anyone who disagrees with me is a KB warrior... go re-read what I said, then try again.

I paid R30k 4.5 months ago, I spent over R6k on it, which includes a brand new drivetrain, and put it up for R32k NEGOTIABLE, did I say R32k is the only price I'll accept, do you understand what the word negotiable means?

In your line with your amazing reasoning, one can never ask more than buying price... have you ever sold a home/property?

Maybe you should attack anyone who makes profit on anything they sell? Maybe go take on every retailer and say it's unethical for them to buy cheaper than they sell... or maybe even go record your interaction with a used car salesman when you tell him the same nonsense you're spewing at me here, and see how that goes.

At R32k neg, I'm not even breaking even... nevermind making profit.

Again, I applaude you for your amazing reasoning skills.

41 minutes ago, 100Tours said:

Just say no, politely. You may eventually find your buyer, but it takes a while before someone wants to offer you full price.

BM is offering you cash almost immediately, including collecting the bike. Sometimes this is better than having the next 15 idiots ask you if it is still available and then ghost you..

I'm guessing they are looking at what they think the bike is worth to them - what you paid for it is actually meaningless. This is why it is called a marketplace - willing buyer, willing seller and all.

I have made a number of offers well below asking price when I think the item is not worth the list price. I don't think it is offensive to the seller to make a low offer.

I get how business works, I was not personally attacking them, I admit, it would've been better to use "someone" instead of naming them directly, but it is what it is.

Like I said, the mods can close/delete this thread if they feel the need to do so.

5 minutes ago, MM said:

This line of reasoning is amazing... absolutely impeccable. Do you offer training sessions online, so one may obtain this skill in life?

Anyhow... clearly you didn't grasp my keyboard warrior comment... nowhere did I say anyone who disagrees with me is a KB warrior... go re-read what I said, then try again.

I paid R30k 4.5 months ago, I spent over R6k on it, which includes a brand new drivetrain, and put it up for R32k NEGOTIABLE, did I say R32k is the only price I'll accept, do you understand what the word negotiable means?

In your line with your amazing reasoning, one can never ask more than buying price... have you ever sold a home/property?

Maybe you should attack anyone who makes profit on anything they sell? Maybe go take on every retailer and say it's unethical for them to buy cheaper than they sell... or maybe even go record your interaction with a used car salesman when you tell him the same nonsense you're spewing at me here, and see how that goes.

But I don’t create a poll when somebody tries to makes a profit

And sometimes you can sell stuff at a profit, sometimes you can’t. You appear to be in the latter, accept it and move on

11 minutes ago, MM said:

2019 the bike was 23k new they sold secondhand for around 17k. With your 1x12 upgrade that would be around 23k retail in today's market.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/11067/2019-scott-spark-970

4 minutes ago, sirmoun10goat said:

But I don’t create a poll when somebody tries to makes a profit

And sometimes you can sell stuff at a profit, sometimes you can’t. You appear to be in the latter, accept it and move on

Again completely off target...

Just to help you find the mark... the poll wasn't about making profit, wasn't about the fact that people are free to negotiate, wasn't about whether my asking price is fair... it was about what I (and a fair bit of other community members), seem to deem a low-ball offer, and whether the voter falls into any of the three listed categories...

7 minutes ago, Barry said:

2019 the bike was 23k new they sold secondhand for around 17k. With your 1x12 upgrade that would be around 23k retail in today's market.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/11067/2019-scott-spark-970

Fair enough/be that as it may... but I asked you to show me something that is for sale now/something one can buy today.

The prices on everything has gone up, look at what any 2nd hand motorbikes sold for 3 years ago new, 2nd hand and what they sell for 2nd hand these days.

Does this mean people should just stick to the prices from 4 years back? Especially if the item for sale was only purchased by the seller not even half a year ago?

Not sure when last you looked at dual sus 29er prices? You get bargains, but at what cost? You get pigs, at what cost? You get well looked after bikes, at what cost?

To put it in perspective, a 2019 Spark 910 can be had for anything between R39k and R45k, a 2022 model new costs R110k, so you either have to pay for what is available, or go buy new, and new of 4 years ago vs new of today is MUCH more expensive.

5 minutes ago, babse said:

How is NX even considered an upgrade?

Asking for a friend 

Certainly did the job without any issues... May I ask what you ride and how many kms do you ride/what is your elevation gains per month? 🤔

Some people seem to think overspending or having a fancy bike makes you somehow more elite/better than the guy next to you who will ride rings around you on his cheap "junk".

Just coz you're fortunate enough to have more money to splurge doesn't mean you need to be an elitist yuppy or an arrogant tool.

Hey MM, I think the main responders are just yanking your chain. Thought you were going to hang up your gloves on this one awhile ago.

There are a bunch of dudes on BH who delight in taking the pisss out of pretty much anything and usually everything.

Unfortunately these guys stifle more general discussion coz other hubbers don't want to raise a discussion that just develop into a squabble just like this one.

Let's call this group the CABAL. They try to rule the roost and gang up on free-minded hubbers who hold an opinion on any subjects they want to pick on and inevitably turn the argument against them.

DOES THIS RING A BELL?

Suggest you just disconnect and apologies to the cabal for maybe spoiling their fun.

30 minutes ago, MM said:

Fair enough/be that as it may... but I asked you to show me something that is for sale now/something one can buy today.

The prices on everything has gone up, look at what any 2nd hand motorbikes sold for 3 years ago new, 2nd hand and what they sell for 2nd hand these days.

Does this mean people should just stick to the prices from 4 years back? Especially if the item for sale was only purchased by the seller not even half a year ago?

Not sure when last you looked at dual sus 29er prices? You get bargains, but at what cost? You get pigs, at what cost? You get well looked after bikes, at what cost?

To put it in perspective, a 2019 Spark 910 can be had for anything between R39k and R45k, a 2022 model new costs R110k, so you either have to pay for what is available, or go buy new, and new of 4 years ago vs new of today is MUCH more expensive.

Just a "new" note.

New = warranty + zero fatigue on all components ... over a 4 year older bike, the geo and suspension tech may well also be of a more progressive standard.

Selling a bike for more than the origional purchase price always gives me a nervous tick when reading or seeing these adds.

24 minutes ago, MM said:

Certainly did the job without any issues... May I ask what you ride and how many kms do you ride/what is your elevation gains per month? 🤔

Some people seem to think overspending or having a fancy bike makes you somehow more elite/better than the guy next to you who will ride rings around you on his cheap "junk".

Just coz you're fortunate enough to have more money to splurge doesn't mean you need to be an elitist yuppy or an arrogant tool.

I think you may be surprised and hopefully a little appreciated once you find this out .........