Bicycle lanes from Muizenberg to Fish Hoek

Estelle Tennent

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so long ago they revamped the road. The initial plans had space for cycling but unfortunately, the storage of empty cars won. The whole job was a disaster, so don't get your hopes up about any new construction on that road for a long while.

Fixing the trains would help a bit as more people could rely on them to travel that route instead of the road. If they can't get that right, I'd love to see them create a promenade along the railway line. Throw a tram in for the few people left using it to get to Fish Hoek. Maybe allowing a little more space on the road for cycling.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to think us guys in Joburg were taking a bit of a chance on our roads. Then I used an Uber on Saturday morning from the Noordhoek area via Houtbay to CT airport. I think the CT cyclists have serious death wish issues. The roads are narrow, loads of traffic both ways and no cycle lane. The cars seem to barely scrape past the cyclists.

As said above, when the road was totally rebuilt, it initially had plans for a cycling lane. Ratepayers screamed blue murder because they would losetheir off street parking and the City capitulated..........and THAT is why said ratepayers now regularly have to see dead and maimed cyclists in the road while they park their cars (please recognise the hyperbole).

54 minutes ago, DJR said:

As said above, when the road was totally rebuilt, it initially had plans for a cycling lane. Ratepayers screamed blue murder because they would losetheir off street parking and the City capitulated..........and THAT is why said ratepayers now regularly have to see dead and maimed cyclists in the road while they park their cars (please recognise the hyperbole).

I've seen 1 x dead commuter and 2 x mangled but alive lycra guys on the Clovelly corner where they widened the roadway but then turned it into parking.

Commuter got squashed by a truck and the other two hit by SUVs.

That section is actually ok if you don't soft pedal and just use the flow of the traffic. Get into a gap in the cars and moto pace until you pass the Muizenberg intersection that no cyclists ever stop at.

11 hours ago, porqui said:

The cycling lane from Muizenberg to Vishoek is called Boyes Drive - try it some time a lot safer.

Nope, I used it yesterday and its worse. Descending the hill toward the speed camera this auntie in a scukuzi pushes past me only brake hard for the speed camera. I had to use my hand on her rear window to avoid the accident. She loses her fing small brain and starts gesticulating like she dropped her lottery ticket.

Motorists have a stupid and dangerous idea that giving a cyclist no space is good for everyone. Main road is actually safer because you just park your bicycle in the middle of the lane and they have to wait to pass. car doors, surfboards, skateboards, pedestrians u-turning ubers, sticky feet hanging out of windows....all these hazards we have to contend with and Mr Winde is doing video interviews on Chappies....(Lose the casquette Alan that look just doesn't work boet).

I'd be happier to pay my CTCT entry if I could see a benefit to the CTCT other than putting more ubers on to the roads waiting for an opportunity to u-turn in front of a cyclist

As someone who lives in the area, I always think twice before riding this section of road. It can be so sketchy. I think it's safe to assume that a change in infrastructure cannot be expected here for a very long time. What always boggles my mind though is the lack of awareness signage(eg legal passing distance) for other types of road users(specifically cyclists) around the whole peninsula, as there are som many alternate road users in this area. How come there are signs all over Noordhoek telling you to be aware of the Western Leopard Toads, yet not one sign recommending a safe passing distance for a cyclist(or runner or horse for that matter).

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I've seen 1 x dead commuter and 2 x mangled but alive lycra guys on the Clovelly corner where they widened the roadway but then turned it into parking.

Commuter got squashed by a truck and the other two hit by SUVs.

That section is actually ok if you don't soft pedal and just use the flow of the traffic. Get into a gap in the cars and moto pace until you pass the Muizenberg intersection that no cyclists ever stop at.

Isnt that section a cycle lane on the pavement? I know coming from clovelly side the parked cars are a problem there. Well either way I make use of much of it when I am through there.

1 minute ago, renayg said:

As someone who lives in the area, I always think twice before riding this section of road. It can be so sketchy. I think it's safe to assume that a change in infrastructure cannot be expected here for a very long time. What always boggles my mind though is the lack of awareness signage(eg legal passing distance) for other types of road users(specifically cyclists) around the whole peninsula, as there are som many alternate road users in this area. How come there are signs all over Noordhoek telling you to be aware of the Western Leopard Toads, yet not one sign recommending a safe passing distance for a cyclist(or runner or horse for that matter).

Very true. Main rd between Muizenberg and Fish Hoek is so busy that runners are now running in the road facing on coming traffic. Cyclists are expected to now share that limited space with motorists we feel a god given right to be ahead and therefore overtake at all costs, to the endangerment of oncoming cyclists and other motorists. No active policing in sight but they will fine you at road blocks if you don't have your driver license with you....I feel sooooo much safer now.)

No Signage

No driver education campaign

In appropriate speedlimits that are not enforced. (chappies should just have speed bumps every 100m and that will sort out cyclist safety in a heart beat.

But I have amy dayglo watchamacallit

18 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Nope, I used it yesterday and its worse. Descending the hill toward the speed camera this auntie in a scukuzi pushes past me only brake hard for the speed camera. I had to use my hand on her rear window to avoid the accident. She loses her fing small brain and starts gesticulating like she dropped her lottery ticket.

Motorists have a stupid and dangerous idea that giving a cyclist no space is good for everyone. Main road is actually safer because you just park your bicycle in the middle of the lane and they have to wait to pass. car doors, surfboards, skateboards, pedestrians u-turning ubers, sticky feet hanging out of windows....all these hazards we have to contend with and Mr Winde is doing video interviews on Chappies....(Lose the casquette Alan that look just doesn't work boet).

I'd be happier to pay my CTCT entry if I could see a benefit to the CTCT other than putting more ubers on to the roads waiting for an opportunity to u-turn in front of a cyclist

Definitely agree with this. There are some sketchy sections on Boyes Drive, the cars are going faster, mix in some blind corners and the need for having to get past the cyclists and things get spicy pretty quickly.

I also use the cycle in the middle of the road approach on certain sections of main road from Clovelly to Muizenberg, obviously this is received with mixed feelings from motorists, either way I always do a thank you wave when the cars wait for me. I try maintain 40kph or more on this section. It is a 50kph speed limit here.

With regards to signage on the stretch from Clovelly to Muizenberg, how about signs that display "cyclists have right of way on this section of road" and "no passing of cyclists for the next 3km" I reckon this will take the death rate to zero whilst only adding 5 minutes or so to commuting time.

34 minutes ago, renayg said:

I am not sure if we are taking about the same strip of road (I am not that familiar with CT and surrounds) but on the way in on Friday I saw loads of tannies with "Slow Down for the Baboons" signs and so on. But nothing warning motorists about cyclists. One good thing was that the Uber driver said that one has to be careful of the cyclists (after I remarked on how dangerous the situation was for the cyclists we passed) because they have organisations that pursue you if you bump one. No idea if it is true but it is a good thing if it makes drivers more careful. As for the guys that cycle Chappies... there's no room for forgiveness there either if a driver screws up. I considered walking a few km into Hout Bay from near the Chappies toll gate around sunset time but looking at the road realised that I might easily get smacked by a car in the dusk... then thought about the poor bloody cyclists. I have ridden Chappies on a cycle tour and it must be the best bike route anywhere in the world.... but for this aspect. A pity indeed. Maybe one's pespective is different if you live and ride there frequently. Don't know. I was thinking of schlepping a bike down there to go just ride around for a few days in the area given how beautiful it is. But the safety situation makes me think that it may be better to give it a miss, partly because a lack of local knowledge on my part.

Edited by MudLark