Help needed to find missing cyclist

Barry

Found this post on one of the cycling pages.

Snip:

Please help! Cyclist Alan Broderick went missing yesterday.
Description: 1,9 meters, 92 kg, 58 years old and bald
Wearing cycling shoes, orange top and black shorts, black helmet & sunglasses and a black and blue Giant branded mountain bike
Last seen Saturday, 3 December around 11:30.
Alan’s wife dropped him off at the Diepwalle hut outside Concordia. His planned cycle route was through the forest back to Plettenberg Bay on N2 via the Petrus se Brand area.
He was expected back around 2pm in Plettenberg Bay.
Knysna Police station have coordinated search and rescue teams with the help of the canine unit and drones. Volunteers are helping, walking all the cycling paths.
The Petrus Se brand trail has been combed from every angle.
Searching the Buffels Nek, Kransebos & Harkerville areas now.
Alan Connely and his team of volunteers have put up a poster of Alan at the Sasol garage by Kranshoek, so his face is out there. Sanparks on the N2 are aware Alan is missing.

The problem is the size of the area. If anyone can help join the search teams, please come through to Diepwalle. We appeal to anyone cycling or hiking between Harkerville, the Garden of Eden & Diepwalle to please keep a look out for Alan. He has been missing for more than 24 hours. His family need your help please.
Anyone with information, please call Gail 083-565-0461 or Lara 081-029-0229. Please keep trying if you can’t get through, there is very little signal in the forest.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have an update or info on this. Is he still missing?

Snip:

This is Alan Broderick, he went missing yesterday in Hakkerville while cycling.  If anyone sees him or saws him yesterday cycling between Hakkerville and Plettenberg bay,  please contact the Plettenberg bay Police department as soon as possible.  PLEASE

FB_IMG_16701641480910846.jpg

Hi - I am Alan’s niece. Yes, he is still missing. They have wrapped up search efforts for the night and plan to continue in the am. He has a wife and three kids, and is an amazing man. Any efforts to help spread the word are appreciated. Thanks for your initial post, Barry. 

1 minute ago, marcfr said:

He has been found by helicopter, lying still in the bushes but arms waving. He is being airlifted to hospital.

Such great news!!

Interested to hear more, like where he was found and what happened.

Wow, such awesome news for a change. I pray he is okay considering his ordeal and that no lasting injuries remain.

Awesome work to all involved in continuing to search for him.

Edited by Robbie Stewart
Spell checker being stupid

19 hours ago, Pippac765 said:

Hi - I am Alan’s niece. Yes, he is still missing. They have wrapped up search efforts for the night and plan to continue in the am. He has a wife and three kids, and is an amazing man. Any efforts to help spread the word are appreciated. Thanks for your initial post, 

Just now, Rob Holliday said:

Sorry about posting an "old" message. Yes, Alan Broderick has been found. Great news! My wife and I searched the area with Alan’s family and soon after we reached the N2 near the Garden of Eden a helicopter flew over and Alan was seen on the bank of the Bitou River. That's all that I know right now.

Really relieved to hear that he is alive and has been rescued.

Well done to all the search and rescue teams - great job.

Wishing Alan a full recovery.

Love a good news story.

People, if you ride alone, please use the Garmin "Live track" facility so your family can follow your progress when you are out there. If you haven't got a Garmin or other computer, install Life 360 on your phone, each family member can follow the other wherever, whenever (great for keeping tabs on the kids too). *It is cellphone signal dependent. Or get an iphone 14, with a direct link to satellite in case of emergency. These days, there's no excuse for getting out of touch and causing so much concern amongst friends and family.

"It'll never happen to me" doesn't wash anymore. 

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=f518218dec7f14b9JmltdHM9MTY3MDE5ODQwMCZpZ3VpZD0xZjllOWQyNi0zZDgyLTZjNGYtMjNhNC04ZjNlM2NmMDZkNDEmaW5zaWQ9NTE4MQ&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=1f9e9d26-3d82-6c4f-23a4-8f3e3cf06d41&psq=life+360+tracking+app&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGlmZTM2MC5jb20v&ntb=1

7 minutes ago, Trail-Blazer said:

People, if you ride alone, please use the Garmin "Live track" facility so your family can follow your progress when you are out there. If you haven't got a Garmin or other computer, install Life 360 on your phone, each family member can follow the other wherever, whenever (great for keeping tabs on the kids too). *It is cellphone signal dependent. Or get an iphone 14, with a direct link to satellite in case of emergency. These days, there's no excuse for getting out of touch and causing so much concern amongst friends and family.

"It'll never happen to me" doesn't wash anymore. 

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=f518218dec7f14b9JmltdHM9MTY3MDE5ODQwMCZpZ3VpZD0xZjllOWQyNi0zZDgyLTZjNGYtMjNhNC04ZjNlM2NmMDZkNDEmaW5zaWQ9NTE4MQ&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=1f9e9d26-3d82-6c4f-23a4-8f3e3cf06d41&psq=life+360+tracking+app&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGlmZTM2MC5jb20v&ntb=1

Great idea, both recent incidents I've had my family were able to come straight to where I was! In one case I was able to call for help and in the second people were able to call my wife because of my IceID bracelet

I do use Garmin LiveTracker .....