Beers and Hill Victorious at 2023 Hell of the South

News bot

Matt Beers and Sarah Hill won the 2023 Momentum Medical Scheme Attakwas Extreme, presented by Biogen, in very different ways on Saturday, 21 January. The Toyota Specialized rider beat PYGA Euro Steel’s Alex Miller in a sprint. While Hill broke away from Elrika Harmzen-Pretorius on the climb towards the Queen of the Mountain hotspot and […]

View full article

34 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I am intrigued...

“Having a numerical advantage didn’t really work in our favour though,” Beers pointed out. “Tristan and I had to do the majority of the riding, which allowed Alex to sit on for a lot of the second half of the course. Once Tristan dropped, Alex [Miller] tried to attack a few times. And I tried to attack him a few times. But nothing came off for either of us.”

I get the tactical stategy. So it does include two other lads doing all the work? 

18 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

“Having a numerical advantage didn’t really work in our favour though,” Beers pointed out. “Tristan and I had to do the majority of the riding, which allowed Alex to sit on for a lot of the second half of the course. Once Tristan dropped, Alex [Miller] tried to attack a few times. And I tried to attack him a few times. But nothing came off for either of us.”

I get the tactical stategy. So it does include two other lads doing all the work? 

I think the two Toyota/Spez boys couldn't shake the Pyga guy. He just sat their wheels getting a tow letting them set the tempo.

Once it became just Matt and Alex it looks like they threw down a few kitchen sinks but neither was able to make it stick. 

Good racing from Alex. He stayed in play despite being man alone in the break and managed to stay with Matt, probably hoping he would pop or have a mechanical. 

It's a long long way to play games

I've just seen the prize money for the event. Apart from 1st place (R15k), the prize money for 2nd-5th place seems really low. Even more surprising (and shocking) when you see the big names of the sponsors behind the event, and the cost of the entry. The age categories don't even win the value of their entry fee back!

Never bothered paying much attention to the prize money involved for local cycling events, but is this typical of all SA cycling events?

28 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I think the two Toyota/Spez boys couldn't shake the Pyga guy. He just sat their wheels getting a tow letting them set the tempo.

Once it became just Matt and Alex it looks like they threw down a few kitchen sinks but neither was able to make it stick. 

Good racing from Alex. He stayed in play despite being man alone in the break and managed to stay with Matt, probably hoping he would pop or have a mechanical. 

It's a long long way to play games

This was my point. Just makes more sense we all help each other and everyone takes out their knives with ten to go and may the best man win. Juts one lad sitting there for 55km seems…but guess it is what it is. Congrats to all I guess.  

18 minutes ago, Mark James said:

I've just seen the prize money for the event. Apart from 1st place (R15k), the prize money for 2nd-5th place seems really low. Even more surprising (and shocking) when you see the big names of the sponsors behind the event, and the cost of the entry. The age categories don't even win the value of their entry fee back!

Never bothered paying much attention to the prize money involved for local cycling events, but is this typical of all SA cycling events?

15k for winning Attakwas. They’re really taking “I don’t do it for the money” to another level 🤣

Miller got 2nd last year too or not? 

Proper effort to take it all the way to the line with the beast...

Ladies gaps are jinormous... Where's the hub favourite YDV? 

Edited by babse

4 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

simple. they were in the 3 man break with a long way to the finish. so the Toyota guys could either work the gap and have a 2/3 chance of winning or sit up and let the bunch catch them and  take chances in a larger field.

once it got close to the line they could attack him repeatedly, but that doesn;t always work so easily offroad.

7 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

simple. they were in the 3 man break with a long way to the finish. so the Toyota guys could either work the gap and have a 2/3 chance of winning or sit up and let the bunch catch them and  take chances in a larger field.

once it got close to the line they could attack him repeatedly, but that doesn;t always work so easily offroad.

Would you be ok with the third guy refusing to do the work? 

3 hours ago, babse said:

Miller got 2nd last year too or not? 

Proper effort to take it all the way to the line with the beast...

Ladies gaps are jinormous... Where's the hub favourite YDV? 

She had a mechanical

10 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Would you be ok with the third guy refusing to do the work? 

Yes, only two teams there. If it was three teams, three riders, then different story.

35 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Yes, only two teams there. If it was three teams, three riders, then different story.

Agreed. Man professional sports need so much maturity 😥