SRAM announce hangerless Eagle Transmission drivetrains

News bot

2 minutes ago, W@nted said:

Who else spotted the 2024 s works at 4:44 in the video? Nice copy of the trek supercaliber🫣

Eagle eye ! i thought something was weird, but assumed it was the way the stand was setup 

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Bosch has done it for you

Bosch must hang on for another 30 years or so….😎

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

The rear derailleur has a break away mechanism designed into the direct mount. Also since it has this protective clutch mechanism you shouldn’t be bending hangers anymore. This drivetrain requires a bit of a mindset shift …..

Ok Sure, question is what will be cheaper? Xx1 ‘break away mechanism’ or a frame hanger😅 most people bend hangers from crashes straight on the rear mech. Well me at least. Ive broken them clean off and bolted the same mech back onto s new one.

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

In the launch vid the dude literally stands on the derailer while the bike is on the floor laying on its side.

Thats a bit of a foefie imo too, a ~80kg static load does not represent what happens in a crash where that 80kg+15kg is moving 10kph+ and hits on the rear mech at an oblique angle. 

anyway yes, it does look clean though.

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

with a trough axle in I don't really see how your frame can brake, the hanger is more here to save the derailleur than the frame in my opinion. And to be honest, how many hangers did you brake in the past ? And how many times did you hit that hard that you think you would have broken your frame ?

Providing a solution that requires zero setup is good in my opinion, let's see what the reality of this tech brings, might be a bad idea, might not

If you've not bent a derailleur hanger your either very lucky and/or you've not been cycling that long.

I've bent and/or destroyed at least 3 or 4 derailleur hangers and my son has done 2 in the last year.

Furthermore, I have also had the misfortune of destroying a frame in the mid 1990's because back then the derailleur hangers were part of the rear dropouts and a branch on a trail ripped my derailleur clean out of the hanger, not only destroying the hanger, but also bending the rear triangle.

Without getting technical, i.e. getting into impact forces, levers, bending moments, yield strengths, etc., you'll be surprised how easy it is to bend/break a 12mm hollow aluminum thru axle.

24 minutes ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

Again…risking Newton turning over in his grave from a 70kg kid jumping on a derailleur to prove ‘strength’:

force of impact increases with the square of the increase in speed” 

so doubling speed, increases impact forces 4x. Tripling speed increases force 9x. And so on. 

we’ll have to wait and see one in “Friday Fails” first to be sure i guess haha

EDIT:

on a different note, I think someone has mentioned it already, but i do hope this becomes a standard way of doing it if it has to be like this because the bike industry decided we needed this. And between all group-set manufacturers for all our sakes. Imagine being limited to one brand of groupo because you drank their cool-aid. That would suck. 

We need a standard hanger/system yes, but not if patents mean you need a new frame to buy a different brand of groupset. You guys do realize if this becomes a thing…every bicucle frame up to this point has become obsolete. You can still put AXS on a 90s mtb if you wanted to. You cant anymore.

Edited by MORNE

28 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Ok Sure, question is what will be cheaper? Xx1 ‘break away mechanism’ or a frame hanger😅 most people bend hangers from crashes straight on the rear mech. Well me at least. Ive broken them clean off and bolted the same mech back onto s new one.

Thats a bit of a foefie imo too, a ~80kg static load does not represent what happens in a crash where that 80kg+15kg is moving 10kph+ and hits on the rear mech at an oblique angle. 

anyway yes, it does look clean though.

the derailleur doesn't weigh 80+kg....

the derailleur is highly unlikely to take a frontal impact because it does not protrude beyond the outside of your foot. If you break the derailleur in this you're special and you will likely be limping with a damaged foot to. The derailleur also articulates rearward a long way. You will not shear the thru axle to break it. If anything in a severe impact the outer parallelogram plate will break and its replaceable. But I reckon you will have bigger problems from such a severe impact

hit it from the side and the overload clutch kicks in. The mount is waaaaaay stronger than a derailleur hanger which is a very flimsy piece of kit (yet I've only ever bent one once, 15years go)

According to strava in the last 3-4 years I’ve done over 10000km (out of the total 50 000km recorded) on the MTB, never broken a hanger, actually I bought my spare hanger for the lefty so long ago i’m not even sure I can find it if I need it 🤣

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

According to strava in the last 3-4 years I’ve done over 10000km (out of the total 50 000km recorded) on the MTB, never broken a hanger, actually I bought my spare hanger for the lefty so long ago i’m not even sure I can find it if I need it 🤣

Probably why it was shown on a xc bike😁

4 hours ago, MORNE said:

Isnt the point of mech hanger to be a ‘fail point’? You know…so you don't bend your frame or expensive derailleur instead? What am i missing? Did i read soos my hol? 😅

3 hours ago, WIPEOUT 1000 said:

Agreed, yet, another example of how SRAM "innovation" provides the customer with a worse outcome. Why just bend a derailleur hanger if you can break your frame?

26 minutes ago, WIPEOUT 1000 said:

If you've not bent a derailleur hanger your either very lucky and/or you've not been cycling that long.

I've bent and/or destroyed at least 3 or 4 derailleur hangers and my son has done 2 in the last year.

Furthermore, I have also had the misfortune of destroying a frame in the mid 1990's because back then the derailleur hangers were part of the rear dropouts and a branch on a trail ripped my derailleur clean out of the hanger, not only destroying the hanger, but also bending the rear triangle.

Without getting technical, i.e. getting into impact forces, levers, bending moments, yield strengths, etc., you'll be surprised how easy it is to bend/break a 12mm hollow aluminum thru axle.

You two uncles must stop using dial up internet when viewing the articles.

@WIPEOUT 1000 I have done many a thousand KM over a good many years, and not once bent a rear der. Broken a frame or two, but never damaged a hanger.

Shimano better pick up their game, or else they will be left just shifting gears on basic commuter and roadie bikes :P

6 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

the derailleur doesn't weigh 80+kg....

the derailleur is highly unlikely to take a frontal impact because it does not protrude beyond the outside of your foot. If you break the derailleur in this you're special and you will likely be limping with a damaged foot to.

Its connected to a system weight of rider+bicycle. 

I have literally sheared off a shimano saint rear mech on rocks that happened to be in the right place at the right time.

and thats a baby compared to the monsters bolted to bikes today. It sheared the hanger off and bent the ‘link’ on the mech, but easy fix with a new goat/roadlink. It looked ratty AF after that but bolted it back on and worked fine. 

id like to think im special, but really im not lol.