SRAM announce hangerless Eagle Transmission drivetrains

News bot

18 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Under each one of those there's multiple models 

udh is very common on any bike that's been made after 2020 

this " just need to buy a new frame......"  line is already getting old 

i think you would be surprised how many people ride bikes older than 2020....

but then again , if you riding an older bike you probably not the target market....

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Yyyy said:

but then again , if you riding an older bike you probably not the target market....

I have a bike older than 2019 

I'm just trying to state that bikes with the UDH are not uncommon, and it only came out in 2019 so if sram designed something to fundamentally work with a standard that came out in 2019 people can't really fault them for that

53 minutes ago, Yyyy said:

14 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

I have a bike older than 2019 

I'm just trying to state that bikes with the UDH are not uncommon, and it only came out in 2019 so if sram designed something to fundamentally work with a standard that came out in 2019 people can't really fault them for that

Did you buy your bike new or used?

If you bought new, you may have been the target market for something ... wider rims, boost, etc.

If you bought second hand you managed to skip the premium for a new bike, and bought a bike from someone who did buy a new bike. At some point you too will end up buying a great condition used bike with a UHD.

34 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Did you buy your bike new or used?

If you bought new, you may have been the target market for something ... wider rims, boost, etc.

If you bought second hand you managed to skip the premium for a new bike, and bought a bike from someone who did buy a new bike. At some point you too will end up buying a great condition used bike with a UHD.

If I had an older bike that's not UDH compatible but wanted to upgrade to AXS 12 speed eagle, this new transmission is out of the question.

Assumption here is that current AXS 12 speed will be discontinued and once sold out they out. 

I do like this advancement in tech and the 12 speed AXS is something i would be interested to upgrade to.

I am aware that there is will still be stock of older AXS and there is still a 2nd hand market but I am highlighting a valid scenario where this new tech is not available to you unless you upgrade your frame.

5 hours ago, V18 said:

All I read was even cheaper 1x11 components in the near future. I\'m more than happy to scavenge perfectly working parts off those who want to ride the \"best\".

My thoughts as well.

8 hours ago, BaGearA said:
llied
BiXS
Canyon
Centurion
Cube
Devinci
Evil
Factor
Fezzari
Focus
Giant
Ghost Bikes
Guerrilla Gravity
Haibike
Ibis
Lapierre
Last
Merida
Mondraker
Niner
Norco
Nukeproof
Orbea
Pivot
Pole
Propain
Reeb
Revel
Rocky Mountain
Rose
Santa Cruz
Scor
Scott
Specialized
SPOT
Transition
Trek
Unno
Vitus
Why Cycles
Yeti
YT

there are brands missing, e.g. Cannondale but I suspect that because only the 2023 HiMOd SCalpel and Scalpel HT are compatible with UDH

To everyone who still says that a hanger in one form or another is better, and that this is another pointless innovation…. Go check exactly how this beauty works. You could literally stomp on it, and it will be fine. And the parts that can break are replaceable. Go youtube it: game_changing stuff. Like 29-ers. Or bikes with full suspension. Or front only suspension. Or bikes with gears. Or pneumatic tyres. 1 drawback: not cross compatible with older stuff.

22 minutes ago, PregoRoll said:

Not sure if this has already been posted, But this guy makes some good points. 

Read the comments section for both videos.

29 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Read the comments section for both videos.

interesting... putting credence into YT comments... well I never...

29 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

interesting... putting credence into YT comments... well I never...

The only idea he still clings is that the friction washer will damage the frame over time with multiple impacts. I’m still tending to disagree with him but I’ll reserve judgement until I’m in a position to actually own this kit and run it long term like I have my current Mechanical XX1 (5yrs).

I don’t see it as an issue because there are many examples with this solution is employed to provide a no. Slip friction surface on a composite material or a softer material. Caliper brakes (rim brake) mounts come to mind.

consider that there multiple design features that reduce the derailleur vulnerability is this serrated friction plate an issue? Maybe but I don’t think it is. Only definitive answer will come from user feedback and owner experiences 

18 hours ago, RocknRolla said:

What's a magic gear?

Marketing Wizardry at it's best....

(No engineers need to respond, because I really don't care)

As a rider who has dabbled in the dark arts of single speeding ... the "magic gear" does exist! 

18 hours ago, Yyyy said:

If I had an older bike that's not UDH compatible but wanted to upgrade to AXS 12 speed eagle, this new transmission is out of the question.

Assumption here is that current AXS 12 speed will be discontinued and once sold out they out. 

I do like this advancement in tech and the 12 speed AXS is something i would be interested to upgrade to.

I am aware that there is will still be stock of older AXS and there is still a 2nd hand market but I am highlighting a valid scenario where this new tech is not available to you unless you upgrade your frame.

The same way people moved over to new frames when the shift from V-Brakes to Disc Brakes happened.

There are enough battery operated options available to riders on standard frames, and there will still be for some time ... you may even find that the pricing gets a little better in the near future.

Run what you have till it breaks, and then look to see what is available on the market.

Getting upset because innovation requires change = we may well still just be rolling on fully rigid bikes with K@K@ brakes and components.