Help Me Start a Bike Business

I've had an idea stuck in my head for a few weeks now. It's been keeping me up at night and occupying my every spare thought, and I need Bikehub's help to make sense of it.

I've been wanting a Salsa Cutthroat / Curve GMX forever, as they're perfect for the type of riding I do and what I think a lot of people in SA (in Gauteng at least) do, and actually represent a great option for someone that's starting out riding.

Frame specs:

• Relaxed gravel bike geometry
    • Drop bars intended as the primary control configuration with a short-ish stem (50mm) so that you could use flat bars too.
    • Slacker head angle (~69°).
    • Increased stack height for comfort and balanced handling (targeting level saddle and bars).
  • Tapered head tube with a 490mm Axle to Crown to accept rigid MTB forks or 100mm suspension forks.
  • Clearance for 29x2.4 tyres.
  • Sliding dropouts, for SS setups.
  • 31.6mm seatpost for dropper compatibility.
  • 38t chainring compatible.
  • 1x Specific

You could then configure this bike to your intended budget and preference:

• Drop bars (46cm wide on a M frame, 20° of flare) or flat bars (760mm wide)
  • Single speed or geared (10-speed Microshift Advent due to interchangeability between flat and drop bar controls, reliable, cheap)
  • Rigid (aluminium or carbon) or suspension (100mm Air Fork)
  • Rigid seatpost or Dropper (~125mm)

The Drop Bar / Geared / Rigid Aluminium Fork / Rigid Seatpost version should, by all accounts, be pretty affordable. Slap a set of fast rolling Rekon Races on there and you've got a bike that can tackle 75% of the single track JHB has to offer, but won't suck riding around your 'hood or with an entry level roadie group if you're a beginner.

The issue I have is sourcing. I have worked extensively in manufacturing, but nothing in this realm, so I'm not sure what the current supply chain economics look like.

• Who makes custom frames (maybe components) at small to medium scale?
  • Full international sourcing of complete bikes? Partial international/local sourcing? Local sourcing and assembly?
  • What's the minimum order quantities like (10 / 100 / 1000 / 10000 units?) and at which point does volume scaling make sense?
  • What are the cost drivers (do through axles and sliding dropouts triple the price vs. vertical QR, or doesn't it matter)?

These are the questions I have not the foggiest idea about. 

Maybe this becomes just a one-hit wonder for me alone to have and use, but something inside me feels there could be more here.

There may or may not also be a design in the making...

20230527_143343.jpg

Chat to the guys at Rook Cycles. They've been through this process and may be willing to share insights.

You're going to need to move some pretty decent volume if you want to even think about making money though.

Rook are for sale... Starting a bike company at the moment might not be the best idea. Some of the biggest brand movers and suppliers globally are struggling.

The bike market is struggling world wide. 

I'm not trying to poo on your dreams, but it's probably not the best time 

2 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Quite a long wait currently. I don't think Dave will be making any bikes in 2023

There are a few good companies in Taiwan you can speak to. I have a list from a previous project, feel free to DM me. I think that MOQ sizes are around 1000 units or so but things may have changed. 

38 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

How to make a million with a bike business?

Start with 2 ....

and end with 3?

(or do you mean how to end with 1 by starting with 2?)

3 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

and end with 3?

it means you run a loss of 1m

9 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

and end with 3?

End with the 1 you had if you're lucky 🫣

16 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

and end with 3?

or the other version of this well known quote:

Q:How do you make a small fortune in the bike bizniz?

A: start with a big one

https://framebuildersupply.com/

Alternate method, do your design, source the materials and parts and then either get welding or get someone to weld them up for you. Can easily make a jig as well to make smaller quantities.
Places like 'made in workshop' are great for small scale production without investing in a lot of equipment.

I have an itch to make my own bike but just need to find the time after building boats, farms, new dairy, on top of family, training and racing...

I share the negative sentiment with the current market where it is.  More players struggling or closing than opening.  

Sourcing is difficult but not insurmountable.  Retailing is far more challenging.

3 hours ago, AnrichG said:

Hi Tyon,

We are importing Marin Bikes at the moment and our Gravel range will be here around August. These bikes are extremely well priced and great quality. We can also import the frames, you can give me a call on 066 057 3778.

I see Cajees is selling Marin. So who els will be retailing or can we come direct to you?

1 hour ago, Barry said:

I see Cajees is selling Marin. So who els will be retailing or can we come direct to you?

Westdene is also selling Marin, we are busy expanding to a few different retailers nationwide. We also give you the option for custom bikes, you can call me then I can give you a full run down. 066 057 3778