[Event] Old Hermon Gravel Ride

Abby.F

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, the forecast during the week seems pretty clear besides wednesday. If stays like that, I’ll happily take a bit of rain on Saturday. Last year it poured the entire week leading up which completely flooded everything. So fingers crossed, but everything looks good for now.

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

Lot's can change in 5 days. Let's hope the rain shifts out by a couple of hours...
image.png.bce1fb380d54fdc230ec6a8dc0acbd29.png

Combine wind, actual temps and the damp factor - weather app should read "stay the hell in bed 🛌 " 😂

Planned route change due to flood damage, but now cancelled due to the incoming weather... 😫

wow, so i dodged this bullet, decided not to enter based on weather forecast.

That's a crappy one for sure.

58 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Honestly so over this poor weather already. 

I hear you and it’s very weekend it would appear as well

19 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

I hear you and it’s very weekend it would appear as well

May and June we were lucky many times with rain during the week, and perfect riding weather on the weekends.

July the tables turned !!  July was a wash out .. pun intended

August the plot thickened .... perfect weather during the week, and rain during the weekend.

9 August I got drenched during an event ... as per weather prediction.

Last Saturday morning was supposed to be dry ... started my ride late due to morning rain, still got properly drenched on the way back.  And the predicted afternoon rain never happened ....

Sunday I started late, due to the predicted rain .... yea right, clear sunny skies.  Few hours later I cycled into a heavy cloud and a sprinkle of rain at Vlaeberg, with clear weather predicted.

1. I cant wait to complain about the heat of summer .... I am over this winter ....

2. The weatherman seems to be inaccurate now .... as is the case each time the seasons change !!

All academic now though, since this event is cancelled.  

The highest rain digits in the Western Cape for the month of July since the 1950s or something.

I plan to be at the Race2Sea, my first ever mountain bike event, and the route was shortened by about 10 kms due to flooded or flood damaged gravel roads about halfway between Franschoek and Hermanus.

7 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

The highest rain digits in the Western Cape for the month of July since the 1950s or something.

I plan to be at the Race2Sea, my first ever mountain bike event, and the route was shortened by about 10 kms due to flooded or flood damaged gravel roads about halfway between Franschoek and Hermanus.

Lets pray the weather & the route holds for Race to the Sea!!

Welcome to your first "mtb event", but beware - you might just find after this event you want to trade in your mtb for a gravel bike 🤣

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Lets pray the weather & the route holds for Race to the Sea!!

Welcome to your first "mtb event", but beware - you might just find after this event you want to trade in your mtb for a gravel bike 🤣

Dankie, Skubarra

I promised myself more adventures in the saddle. So, upgraded the Scalpel with cartoon hoops. No race mode for me, otherwise, I would've not taken a broodmes to a Jedi sword fight. 

The long-term weather forecast is looking good for next weekend.

Edited by 'Dale

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

Dankie, Skubarra

I promised myself more adventures in the saddle. So, no race mode for me, otherwise, I would've not taken a broodmes to a Jedi sword fight. 

I did last year's version on a broodmes - was still a great ride. One of the best & most scenic routes in the WC. Waterpoints & finishing venue were great too. I'm sure you will have an adventure.  

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

Dankie, Skubarra

I promised myself more adventures in the saddle. So, upgraded the Scalpel with cartoon hoops. No race mode for me, otherwise, I would've not taken a broodmes to a Jedi sword fight. 

The long-term weather forecast is looking good for next weekend.

18 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I did last year's version on a broodmes - was still a great ride. One of the best & most scenic routes in the WC. Waterpoints & finishing venue were great too. I'm sure you will have an adventure.  

Jedi light sabres are OK but only if they have dropper posts

3 hours ago, 'Dale said:

I keep hearing people say this but to me last year felt worse. I dunno if it’s just the memory of last years Old Hermon that has left me scarred completely, but I felt like last year it rained even harder and the proof was basically all the damage in Franschhoek and other areas.