Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Saw afterwards on the results you beat me by 2 seconds on Sunday 😜 

Was riding with friends to improve their seeding, turned out to be a lekker group of riders.

Lekka, Bru! I think I was chirping you a bit at km 17. Your sock game, solid. 😙

Tried a few PhilGil attacks on the 6% gradients, developed a gap, but couldn't get away on the flats.

Edited by 'Dale

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

Lekka, Bru! I think I was chirping you a bit at km 17. Your sock game, solid. 😙

Tried a few PhilGil attacks on the 6% gradients, developed a gap, but couldn't get away on the flats.

Haha! So you were that bastard! You made the rest of us work hard a few times...

I had such a fantastic ride in the Cape Point Nature reserve, I thought it my duty to tell you how to go about it..............because I very often ride alone, safety and security has become so much more of an issue for me, but I feel completely safe in the reserve, both from a crime and a traffic point of view. The "problem" was always that I felt it was too short a ride from the entrance gate  to the Point and back............not any more!

Today I did every side road and every loop and suddenly it was a very decent ride. The main road runs along the highest "spine" of the reserve, but nearly every side road goes down to sea level.............and then you have to climb back up to the main road before you can continue! It made for more than enough of a workout (60km I guess, have not used a bike computer for a while now). All of this in the most pristine surroundings and with virtually zero traffic! In some parts the tar is a bit rough and you get a proper buzz on a racy road bike with skinnies on, but mostly the roads are in decent condition.

Oh, and you might end up practicing your nearly non existent Spanish explaining to a young couple from Mexico that they absolutely MUST climb up to the lighthouse and NOT just turn around at the car park!

Got to see the "family", ostrich and eland, but no bontebok this time. 

2022-02-07 027.jpg

2022-02-07 013.jpg

46 minutes ago, DJR said:

I had such a fantastic ride in the Cape Point Nature reserve, I thought it my duty to tell you how to go about it..............because I very often ride alone, safety and security has become so much more of an issue for me, but I feel completely safe in the reserve, both from a crime and a traffic point of view. The "problem" was always that I felt it was too short a ride from the entrance gate  to the Point and back............not any more!

Today I did every side road and every loop and suddenly it was a very decent ride. The main road runs along the highest "spine" of the reserve, but nearly every side road goes down to sea level.............and then you have to climb back up to the main road before you can continue! It made for more than enough of a workout (60km I guess, have not used a bike computer for a while now). All of this in the most pristine surroundings and with virtually zero traffic! In some parts the tar is a bit rough and you get a proper buzz on a racy road bike with skinnies on, but mostly the roads are in decent condition.

Oh, and you might end up practicing your nearly non existent Spanish explaining to a young couple from Mexico that they absolutely MUST climb up to the lighthouse and NOT just turn around at the car park!

2022-02-07 027.jpg

2022-02-07 013.jpg

Have done the ride from Simonstown a few times and it’s fantastic as long as you pick the right day for the wind!

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Haha! So you were that bastard! You made the rest of us work hard a few times...

Ja nee. I had two matches to spare. 😶

Edited by 'Dale

34 minutes ago, geomark said:

Have done the ride from Simonstown a few times and it’s fantastic as long as you pick the right day for the wind!

True that

2 hours ago, DJR said:

2022-02-07 027.jpg

2022-02-07 013.jpg

Damn, I keep meaning to do that!! especially as I am mostly solo

3 hours ago, DJR said:

2022-02-07 027.jpg

2022-02-07 013.jpg

And it's nogal lekka hilly too, DJR. 

41 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

And it's nogal lekka hilly too, DJR. 

Surprisingly so. I always thought of it as a fairly gentle ride down to the Point and back, but if you do all the side branches you get quite a few shorts sharpish climbs.

7 minutes ago, BenReaper said:

Today was extremely hot, but I decided this year I should take every chance I can get to ride as I had so little opportunity last year.

Was a short ride but a good one nonetheless. 

20220207_182800.jpg

20220207_182929.jpg

20220207_184807.jpg

Let me guess, down under 😁